July 2019 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding & Pumping Questions & Support Thread

12346»

Re: Breastfeeding & Pumping Questions & Support Thread

• Options
    We, with our pediatrician's guidance, have started supplementing. Our LO lost just over 10% of her birth weight by her first pediatrician visit, and with how frequently and long we were nursing (ours is a sleepy eater too), we decided the extra nutrition from formula was important.

As of yesterday, I offer each breast, and then the formula. At our check up today, LO had gained way more than the doctor had hope for! 

It feels like my milk is starting to come in, but it's still a struggle to keep her awake during nursing. We've heard great things about our pediatrician's recommended lactation consultant, so I am going to give her a call tomorrow. 
  • Options
    @keebler6elf that's great that she's gained more than they expected! These dang sleepy babies are tough to wake up! I always tell my husband that someone is gonna see us one day trying all these things to wake her up and think we are so crazy 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Seeing a lactation consultant should be mandatory for all mom's wanting to breastfeed. We struggled so much the first two days and then I got to see my lactation consultant and it was all a problem with her latch. It's still a battle but at least I've been given the advice I needed to correct it. On the plus side when we went I thought she was doing such a poor job eating but she drank like 6 oz worth of milk from one side so it gave me reassurance that I probably wouldn't have to pump or supplement at all. Hopefully you got in with your lactation consultant @keebler6elf
  • Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    @Niesen27 I completely agree - lactation consultants are so important!!!

And 6oz from one side is amazing! Great job!!  It's really hard to trust they're getting enough when you can't see it. I've used a home scale for weighed feeds since baby #2 and it's really helped me have more confidence.
  • Options
    LO is having a hard time. He is having difficulty with using his mouth and tongue correctly in suckling to transfer milk. We’re on formula now and I’m trying to keep him on the breast often to stim my supply. I’ve got an LC and a craniosacral therapist and everyone seems a little stumped because there is no apparent tongue tie and on the finger he occasionally does it correctly but only pushed far back in his mouth. Any STMs experience anything like this? DS1 had other difficulty but not like this. 
  • Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    @mamanbebe is there any pain with the latch? I'm asking bc my baby has a high arched palate so the latch needs to be extra deep for transfer to occur. And with such a tiny mouth it's tricky and takes me a good 5-10 min to get it right at each feed. When it's too shallow there's a sharp pain. I found a case study with useful diagrams, if you Google "Breastfeeding a Baby with a High 
    Anterior Arched Palate" (it's a PDF so I can't paste a link).

Meantime are you able to pump? I know it's not ideal. I hope you find answers soon. 
  • Options
    @cbeanz The craniosacral therapist said that it sloped up and then dipped down again. It seems that if things aren't deep enough he pushes them with his tongue. He has good suction but he's not doing the taco roll with his tongue most of the time. I struggle trying to think how I could get my breast in his mouth in such a way that he would mimic what he does with a finger pushed far back in his mouth. I wonder if nipple shields would help at all? I'm trying to pump but I'm having a bad time with the Spectra.. it comes out easier with hand expression.
  • Options
    @mamanbebe Sounds somewhat similar to what I kinda am struggling with, I was told to do the cross craddle hold and then with the other had to grip under my breast and use my thumb to apply pressure to the top of my breast to point the nipple up. Then place the nipple on her upper lip and wait for her to open wide. Then in a scooping motion you lift her mouth up and onto the nipple. If it's done right there isn't any pain and she latches great and gets a lot of milk. If it's painful I was told to break the latch and try again. She said we both need training to make it work. Hope you can hang in there and find the right position for his latch, and if not pumping is a great option too
  • Options
    Thank you @Cbeanz and @Niesen27 for those tips, I’m going to try those techniques. I’d really like to make this work. 
  • Options
    @mamanbebe I don’t have any suggestions but I will say I also get more from hand expression than my spectra—it’s so frustrating!

@Cbeanz what scale do you use? We are looking to purchase one. 
  • Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    I got this one second hand at a consignment sale and I really like it:

https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-American-Cross-Soothing/dp/B001CSZ0VS

In the past I  a Health o Meter baby toddler scale but it broke.
  • Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited July 2019
    I have zero experience with nipple shields. :-( but I'm curious to hear what the LC says.

The technique @Niesen27 is describing is exactly what I'm also having to do. It's time consuming now but I think it will become faster/easier once his mouth grows. At this point my nipples are wider than his mouth! So I really need to shove it in.
  • Options
    I am using a nipple shield when I breastfeed (also pumping and using Dr Brown's bottles with preemie size nipples).  I have been trying to wean him off the nipple shield, but he won't latch for more than 10 seconds.  The issue seems to be a wide/flat nipple plus small mouth on baby, also he gets exhausted trying... So this is working for now to get him the milk!
  • Options
    Should mention: Medela contact nipple shield.  Also, that plus the pumping/bottle solution were recommended by my lactation consultant.
  • Options
    I have been using the Haakaa when I feed each time because it seemed like I was just wasting so much milk. How do you all store the milk? I’m only catching about 1-1.5oz each feeding. We are just dumping those in bottles and putting in the fridge for now for DH to use at night while I catch some sleep. Can I combine some of the smaller amounts together? Is there a better way to store these? I wasn’t able to nurse long with my first so I’m really new to this nursing and storage and need some help!
  • Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    Yes you can combine and freeze them! Great job! Once you have 4-6 oz pour them into a freezer bag! I like the Lansinoh bags that freeze flat bc they are pretty good quality and cheap. 
  • Options
    What @Cbeanz  said. With the haaka at night I just dump it into a bottle until I have about 3-6 oz and then I put it in a milk storage bag and freeze flat. I have about 80 oz stored so far so it seems pretty effective. I like the target brand. I never had issues with leaking with them unlike some other brands. Also I just put the plug in my haaka and store it in the fridge and then wash it every morning. Seems like you are doing pretty good so far @knottie9081d044e0cbcaca! Best of luck! Nobody ever said breastfeeding was easy and if they did I would say they lied lol
  • Options
    That's good to know! I bought a hakaa as well but wasn't sure about the storage bir either. @knottie9081d044e0cbcaca you are catching way more than me! When I tried it I was only getting about .5 oz so I felt like it was a waste of time. I may try again though. 
  • Options
    @BeatboxBaby how are you using it? Because sometimes I'm catching 3 + oz? If you fold back the flexible flange part, gently squeeze the bulb part to create a light suction, place it over your nipple, then fold the flange down to be flush with your breast. Once it's in place let go of the bulb to allow suction to help with your letdown. And if you need more suction as it fills up just resqueeze the bulb
  • Options
    @BeatboxBaby I don't catch much with the Haakaa either. I think they're great for moms who "leak" or have forceful letdowns (which I don't). I think people all respond differently to different pumps. 

*Insert rave about Medela Harmony*
  • Options
    @Niesen27 80 oz so far is a lot! You're doing a great job!
  • Options
    @BeatboxBaby I only get .5oz in the hakaa and it definitely adds up! 
  • Options
    @Niesen27 I wasn't folding back the flange part, just kinda positioning it and then suctioning. I will try that though.

Good to know I'm not the only one getting just a little from it. I didn't realize you could stick it in the fridge and just mix the sessions together before freezing.  That sounds a little less tedious to me!
  • Options
    I just got my haaka 2 days ago. I try to use it as much as possible, it’s helped keep my supply up and I actually have a freezer stash without having to pump constantly. I get 2-4 ounces each sesssion!! 
  • Options
    Anyone noticing lactose intolerance in their kiddos?
  • Options
    @Niesen27 what are you experiencing?
  • Options
    @Niesen27 generally, full term babies aren't lactose intolerant since breast milk contains lactose and babies are born with a gut full of lactase enzyme.

Are you finding that your baby is sensitive to breastmilk when YOU consume dairy? If so it could be a sensitivity to the protein in cow milk, rather than the sugar (lactose).

Have you tried an elimination diet to confirm? I think it can take a few days to get all dairy protein out of your system.
  • Options
    @mamanbebe she has projectile vomit a distended abdomen, is constantly very gasy that is painful and stinky, colicky after any feeding.  I think a few of her symptoms may be more of reflux (hiccuping and wanting to do non-nutrative sucking to help)

@cbeanz I just started an elimination diet of no dairy and no soy to see if it helps. I've heard it's the proteins of milk and there can be a cross allergy to soy proteins as well. I was told it can take over a month to see changes and get it out of mine and her sister. I feel so bad that she is going to deal with this for a couple more weeks and it may not even be the problem
  • Options
    BigBadWolf12BigBadWolf12 member
    edited August 2019
    @niesen27 lurking from Aug19. My S17 baby has multiple food allergies which we found through breast feeding, including dairy and soy. if you're on Facebook, "dairy free diet - breastfeeding" group can be super helpful in terms of troubleshooting, support/encouragement, and eventually if and when you're able to try to introduce dairy later. A lot of the moms there are avoiding more than just dairy for their babies. It takes 2-4 weeks for all dairy protein to leave mom's system followed by an additional 2-4 weeks for dairy to leave the baby's system, followed by a bit of time for any damage done in the gut to heal. The group suggests giving it 6-8 weeks before deciding if it helps or not bc symptoms can come and go in that time.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    My LO is SUPER fussy after breast milk, but an angel after formula. We are exploring food sensitivities since H was allergic to everything as a kid. Our first hypothesis was dairy, but the formula is milk based and gives her no problems. Is that a reliable sign that dairy isn't the issue?
  • Options
    @cindler some say the formula is so processed that a dairy intolerant baby would be able to tolerate it, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule, so I'd think if baby can tolerate formula she doesn't have issues with dairy. But I guess it's not 100%

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016

• Options
    @BigBadWolf12 I definitely joined that group and there is some good ideas throughout it. The dairy part isn't as hard as I'm finding soy to be. We have only been DF for 1 week now, I'm hoping we can start seeing some improvement soon.
    @cindler I hope you guys figure out your food sensitivities and that your babe starts feeling better soon too. A fussy baby after eating is so sad, I always feel so bad when what I'm giving her makes her tummy hurt later. I don't wanna switch to formula though because it's expensive and I love the overall benefits breastfeeding her will have once the protons are gone. What all are you guys looking at for an allergen?
  • Options
    @Niesen27 the culprits we're looking at right now are corn and wheat. Maybe mold? H was allergic to all of those, so that's what we're looking at.
  • Options
    @cindler what formula are you using? H's pediatrician recommended enfamil neuropro gentlease, as she said the milk proteins (?) in it are broken down into digestible forms. It's been nearly a month since I omitted dairy from my diet and the difference in H has been noticeable. I hope you're able to figure out what's troubling your LO soon!
  • Options
    @Niesen27 you're so right that soy is harder than dairy. I'm only dairy free for my A19 baby, but I was free if my S17 son's 10+ allergens and intolerances for 18 months....which brought me to another helpful grouP - "parents of children with multiple food allergies". Not breast feeding specific, but helpful for multiple allergies. The DFDBF group has a lot of people who are dairy and soy free anyways, but if you end up having more allergies or as your baby grows....thought I'd mention it if you didn't already know it 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016