Infertility

RE didn't get all my eggs during retrival - anyone else experience this?

I had my egg retrieval yesterday, I was actually being monitored every day for follicles since stim day 6 and on stim day 10 the day of my trigger I had 11 mature follicles and around 8-10 measuring between 11-14, so in total close to 20. The RE only got 8 eggs yesterday, when I woke up and heard I said that is a lot less than what I had with follicles throughout the last few days. And don't get me wrong, I am so very thankful that they got 8, and I am praying hard for those 8. My concern is the ones he left and why,  he simply said that some were hard to get to so he didn't get them. Has anyone else had this happen?

I am just floored and trying to figure it out and get more answers, we pay all this money and put so much into this process and our body to not have the RE get them all for optimal chances. I understand if there was a medical risk to getting them, or if all the ones he left were not mature or too mature but he said none of this, just that it was too difficult, I have never heard of this and just don't understand. Disclaimer that my clinic has several RE's and the one who performed my retrieval was not mine, they rotate each week who is doing egg retrieval and transfer on patients. I definitely plan to bring it up to my RE but I am not sure how soon I will hear back. 
**bfp & child warning***

IVF #1 - September 2012 = CP - BFN
FET #1 - November 2012 = BFP!!!!
DS - Born July 2013
FET #2 - January 2015 = BFP!!!!!
DS - Born September 2016
IVF #2 - prep in progress, retrieval date November 2018

Re: RE didn't get all my eggs during retrival - anyone else experience this?

• The follicules May have been empty but I have heard of RE not being able to get to all eggs
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• I've heard of this. Sometimes the ovaries are in a spot where it's not safe to retrieve the eggs too- where there's a risk to your other organs. So it can me that the follicles were empty, that your ovaries were sitting too close to your large intestine or something. That can happen.

The retrieval surgery is quick, but it can be dangerous!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry you had to experience such disappointment after your ER. As the other ladies have mentioned, not every follicle will have an egg in it, but it sounds like this doc was concerned about the placement of the ovaries during the retrieval. It's a very sensitive area and they don't want to risk causing permanent damage to any organs or your reproductive system. However, I would still discuss your concerns with your RE, as you might be able to get more specific information.
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • This makes me feel a bit better, I obviously don't want any damage done to my organs and my ovaries were probably in a tough spot but I wish I had gotten a bit more explanation for it all as I felt just disappointed. Thanks for the responses! 
    **bfp & child warning***

IVF #1 - September 2012 = CP - BFN
    FET #1 - November 2012 = BFP!!!!
    DS - Born July 2013
    FET #2 - January 2015 = BFP!!!!!
    DS - Born September 2016
    IVF #2 - prep in progress, retrieval date November 2018