July 2019 Moms

Working moms considering SAHM?

Anyone thinking about being a SAHM once baby arrives? If so how do you plan to tell your work?

Re: Working moms considering SAHM?

• I guess it depends on the relationship you have with your boss/coworkers and what kind of maternity benefits/disability are offered. If you are wanting to leave them in a good spot and care what they think, I would give ample notice to find a replacement and train them. On the other hand, if you don't care and are eligible for any kind of leave or disability, I'd probably wait until afterwards! 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • I took 15 months off after my first was born, but wasn't interested in staying with the company I was working for anyway. I am planning on making my decision on whether or not I want to go back to work after the baby is born. With the cost of daycare for two which will be roughly $1,500.00 a month, I'm considering staying at home. I know my son who is two LOVES going to daycare and playing with his friends every day though. I definitely have to weigh the pros and cons.
  • Loading the player...
  • I left my job at the end of my maternity leave with my first. I didn't let my employer know until about halfway through my leave. I was worried they would either let me go or say I wasn't eligible for leave if I told them before hand. Just something to think about!
  • I'd like to be more of a SAHM if possible.  I work full time but would like to be at least part time or even PRN.  But it will depend if my husband graduates school and what kind of job he gets.  We will have to see what happens
  • trace128trace128 member
    edited December 2018
    For my job, we accrue more sick time while we’re out. If I want to cash out on that time, I’d have to go back for the day and then basically say I quit. Otherwise, I lose that money. Just another thing to think about! 
  • I was planning on going back to my job after my first. But after three months off, I decided it wasn’t the right choice. I set up a meeting with my boss about a month before I was supposed to go back and told her. It was hard. I loved that job. I was officially employed two months after that to use up my leave and not have to pay back premiums because I took FMLA. 

Unless you are 100% sure you aren’t going back, you can make that decision later. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not. I am self-employed through a company (contract employee), so I will probably ease my way back in and can make adjustments to my caseload as needed. Originally I thought I was being super risky for taking this type of job, but I think it’ll work out perfectly for now. We just can’t afford for me not to work unless something big changes with my hubby, and I just got my masters degree in May and would like to use it.

I am super scared for maternity leave and how things will go! I’m sure I’ll be a wreck when I have to go back. 
  • rgn12 said:

I am super scared for maternity leave and how things will go! I’m sure I’ll be a wreck when I have to go back. 
    Everyone is different but you may not be! I took 16 weeks off last time. At 12 weeks, I was a mess about going back, I thought I was going to have to call my boss and quit. By 16 weeks, my hormones had settled down a lot more and I was raring to get back to work!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would love to be able to be a STAHM when this LO arrives, but I doubt we would be able to do it financially. With our leave program, you have to return at least for a day after your maternity leave to receive the paid leave. If your work offers paid maternity leave, you might check to make sure they don't have similar requirements. 
  • The biggest thing for me is long term loss from leaving.  I’ll be paying like 3100 a month for two and it’s not worth it long term to step out of the workforce.

id also make sure all your benefits are accounted for, like 401k. 

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker