no heartbeat? — The Bump
Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

no heartbeat?

I went in at 8 weeks, the Dr told me it was positive! Then at 10 weeks we went for our ultrasound, the tech said she couldn't find a heartbeat and the baby was grown to 9 weeks. What would the chances be of a faulty ultrasound? :( 

Re: no heartbeat?

• I also haven't had any symptoms,  no blood no cramping nothing. I am just confused. This was our first pregnancy, so any insight would be very appreciated through this rough time. 
  • I’m sorry you are going through this.  I had a similar situation.  I had positive blood work done at 8 weeks went in for my 10 wk US and no heartbeat.  I measured 10 weeks and DR said heart stopped either earlier that day or the day before because I was measuring where I should be.  *****TW*****i had a normal pregnancy the year before so I knew what I was looking at.   At 10 weeks, you should see the heart actually beating as well as hear it.  I had no bleeding either and no symptoms that my body had recognized the loss.  It’s called a missed miscarriage because body doesn’t recognize the loss.  DR should offer another US a week later if you are unsure and want confirmation.   Did a DR confirm what tech told you?  If not, I would want confirmation.  

They should also give you all your options.  If the loss is confirmed, you can wait for body to recognize the loss and miscarry, or they can give you meds to speed up process or a d & c.  I have had 3 losses and chose to have d & c with each because I wanted to move forward sooner than later.  For me, the d & c was easy as far as physical recovery with no issues.  Emotionally it took a while to start to feel normal again.  It’s still very painful but it got easier with time. Hope this helps.  Sorry you find yourself here 
  • Both of my miscarriages were also missed miscarriages, which means when I came in for the appointment they couldn't find the heartbeat. I also had no symptoms of miscarriage. I was so worried what if the ultrasound was wrong. The doctor told me it's not the kind of thing they mess up, but both times I got a second opinion just for peace of mind. Sorry you're going through this. 
  • Mack2342 said:
    I’m sorry you are going through this.  I had a similar situation.  I had positive blood work done at 8 weeks went in for my 10 wk US and no heartbeat.  I measured 10 weeks and DR said heart stopped either earlier that day or the day before because I was measuring where I should be.  *****TW*****i had a normal pregnancy the year before so I knew what I was looking at.   At 10 weeks, you should see the heart actually beating as well as hear it.  I had no bleeding either and no symptoms that my body had recognized the loss.  It’s called a missed miscarriage because body doesn’t recognize the loss.  DR should offer another US a week later if you are unsure and want confirmation.   Did a DR confirm what tech told you?  If not, I would want confirmation.  

They should also give you all your options.  If the loss is confirmed, you can wait for body to recognize the loss and miscarry, or they can give you meds to speed up process or a d & c.  I have had 3 losses and chose to have d & c with each because I wanted to move forward sooner than later.  For me, the d & c was easy as far as physical recovery with no issues.  Emotionally it took a while to start to feel normal again.  It’s still very painful but it got easier with time. Hope this helps.  Sorry you find yourself here 
    Thank you for your kind words and your insight. It is very comforting. I did the misoprostol route. It was very physically and mentally challenging, but our Dr. said we can try again after 1 period cycle. 
  • Sorry it was si challenging.  Glad you can try after one cycle.  We were able to try after one cycle too.  For me, that made it easier emotionally knowing we could move forward sooner.  I hope that’s the same for you