July 2019 Moms

Should I tell my dentist?

So I have a dentist appointment on Tuesday to get my final round of dental work. (it's been a long anxiety journey I don't want to postpone it).  I'll be 5w4d. 

The thing is my dentist goes to my church and we see him every Sunday, he and my husband are friends, my oldest and his daughter are friends, we went for dinner and cookies decorating last month at their place (btw it's kinda weird to decorate sugar cookies at your dentist house...I felt like I had to brush my teeth before and I definitely did not eat as much frosting and cookies as I normally would have).

I'm sure if I told him he could keep the secret. But I'm not sure I want to tell him yet just because I haven't told anyone, not even my husband. I'll tell him Tuesday night because I plan to get him something to tell him while I'm in town.

Is it early enough that I don't really need to tell him? Or is there some unknown risk that I probably should tell him.  What are your guys thoughts?

Re: Should I tell my dentist?

• Why haven’t you told your husband?

and yes, you should avoid x-rays and need to notify all doctors that you are pregnant so that they can take precautions. 
  • mamanbebe said:
    Why haven’t you told your husband?

and yes, you should avoid x-rays and need to notify all doctors that you are pregnant so that they can take precautions. 
    I need some time to process my feelings about it.  I'm happy I'm pregnant it's just all the extra stuff around it I need to find peace about.  It's kinda long and I'm sure I make it extra complicated. I can inbox you if you really want to know. I also found a fun way to tell him, he's a Lego fanatic and there's a store in salt lake that has second hand Legos and I want to buy just the Daddy and baby minifig and give it to him but I won't be able to get there until Tuesday after my dental appointment. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes you need to tell him because I’m assuming they are using anesthesia and there are certain kinds they can’t use on pregnant women, also they may want to delay treatment until 2nd trimester! You’re dentist can’t say anything due to HIPPA, but you could always say you haven’t told anyone. If they use laughing gas that can not be used on a pregnant person it can cause a spontaneous abortion, I’m a hygienist by the way.
  • Yes, you should tell your dentist.  Typically they won't want to do X-rays and if you need a filling or any other kind of treatment besides a basic cleaning they will either recommend you wait or will need to do things differently.  As kmk said your dentist can't tell your husband or anyone else anything because of HIPPA.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Yes. Always. They’ll also ask and you shouldn’t lie.
  • Agree with above.  Also doctors understand confidentiality, and not applying that is a huge no no.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I texted him so we will reschedule it. He's a good guy I know he won't tell.
  • There is no reason to avoid dental xrays while pregnant. 
  • parparit said:
    There is no reason to avoid dental xrays while pregnant. 
    I'm having an implant placed so it's a bit more intense than just x-rays
  • I have gotten dental X-rays before while pregnant and actually ended up getting one before I knew I was pregnant.  I thought about telling my dentist of the possibility, but though I was crazy to even think it was a possibility.  But regardless of the work done, I would definitely tell my dentist I was expecting.