May 2019 Moms

Diapers..

So my husband has a son from a previous marriage ,(who he has sole custody of and I am mom to him.)  but I was not in the picture until he was almost 5 years old.  So out of the diaper stage all together. 
My husband is insisting that we use only Pampers brand diapers. Since that's what he used for our son.  This is my first born,  but I have worked with many babies over the course of my career .and in  my experience Loves diapers are just as effective as pampers,  but at a much cheaper price. Of course you need to change with every wet diaper,  but babies pee while they are sleeping,  and mommies and daddies don't always catch those and baby ends up in a wet diaper for longer than any parent would want.  So my question is.. What are the opinions out there?  Do we need to go with the more expensive or are the cheaper ones okay as long as baby doesn't have any adverse  reactions.  
Thanks ladies! 

Re: Diapers..

• My advice is buy a couple different brands but don't "stock up." My son was sensitive to most diaper brands, there's no way to predict that until they're born. Yours may be allergic to Pampers. It's a silly thing to argue about nonetheless. 

Also, this would be a good fit in the "are you stocking up," "randoms," or even "registry" threads. 
  • edited November 2018
    My experience was that what works for one baby may not work for another, even within the same family. Try out a few different ones when sales hit and see what you like.

Our hospital sent us home with Pampers, but we tried out all kinds of different things. With my kiddos, one had extremely sensitive skin, and needed expensive "Natural" diapers for a while in order to prevent bad rashes. The other was fine in regular Huggies, Luvs, Kirkland, Target brand, whatever. I personally don't prefer the Luvs because they are scented and I thought they had the texture of tissue paper, but I know some people use them without problems, and they are definitely cheaper. 
    kids with flags
  • Loading the player...
  • @brie_and_almonds omg that scent mixed with urine 🤢 it was so nasty. 
  • Luvs gave my son the worst diaper rash ever & are not as good compared to other brands. We stuck to honest company, seventh generation. & pampers at night. 
  • We do cloth most of the time with DS but when he’s in disposables we use Target brand. We do have a few Luvs as well, but the scent has never bothered me much. We don’t use them often enough to care either.  Regardless, you’ll likely be gifted all different kinds and through that you’ll find what works best for you. Pampers, if you ask me, doesn’t have th market cornered on diapers and you very may like something different for this baby.
  • Everyone has a different perspective on which diapers that they like best. I say buy a couple of different types and then see what you like best for this kiddo. Like the other ladies said different babies fit different diapers differently or may have a skin sensitivity. We are going to cloth diaper this one but we used disposable for the first year of DD1’s life. We were a strictly Huggies diapers family. I hated Luvs and didn’t like the feel of Pampers. And never really liked any of the store brands either.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• I used pampers and LUVS for my daughter. Huggies she pee'd right thru everytime I tried those, so by the time she was 2 weeks old, I figured out they just weren't the brand for her.

I honestly think you have to try different brands and figure out which one works. But of course im going to start off with Pampers because those are the ones they give you at the hospital.

• I second what most people have said — you have to try them and figure out which works best for your baby.  I wouldn’t say one brand is “not as good as” another because I think it’s very baby-specific.  We found honest and pampers to work best.  But I also think we probably wrongly attributed a bad streak of blowouts/babies peeing through diapers to the brand of diaper more than once.  

We have two toddlers who each use a different brand of wipes so it really does just depend. 
  • It seemed for us, if we started having blow outs or leaking, it was time to move up a size. I’m sure that’s not always true with everyone. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• We cloth diapered until baby started peeing through and daycare complained, around 18 months. Now we use whatever is cheapest. But that doesn't work for everyone. You'll have to see what works for your baby. You really don't have to make this decision right now. You don't even have to make the decision when baby is 6 months old. You don't have to stick to one brand.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• We use mostly Pampers with DD, in large part because we were gifted a huge number of them (DH's work pooled money and bought 2-3 large boxes of each size, plus we received more from others). They work and I am good at watching for deals. That said, in the 16mon we have been using them they have definitely changed "formulas", so your H may find them to be a lot different than they were 5yr ago. 

I hated the Target brand ones (I think they smell and had a weird texture), but a friend loves them for her boy. Luvs were eh, also smelled to me, and may have contributed to a diaper rash that stuck around extra long. Huggies fit wrong on her skinny legs and we had a lot of pee-leaks. We had a few Honest and 7th Gen ones and they were fine, but I didn't use them long enough to give a good review.

We used Aldi diapers for a bit in size 1 & 2, and they actually weren't bad for daytime. They get a little bit more clumpy than the name brand ones when they are wet, so I don't know if DD would like them now that she's mobile.

Like others said it's so kid-dependent. What works in one size may not work in the next. What works for daytime may not work overnight. 

Other advice on this front - If you have Amazon Prime, you can watch for a good price or coupon, then put whatever brand on Subscribe and Save. 
  • Definetly echoing the what works for one may not work for the other. Ds1 was a preemie and was in the 1st percentile for weight (still is) so we ended up using pampers at first because they carry preemie sizes and they seemed to fit tighter to him to avoid pee leaks. We tried luvs and a few other brands but they were never tight enough and we would get leaks. Ds2 on the other hand could wear anything we used aldi brand for a long time until he got bigger and started to pee through them, now we use the BJs brand ones and they have been fine too. Diapers is definitely something I wouldn’t stock up on too much because it erealky depends on the kid.  
  • Every kid is built differently! Pampers Swaddlers worked best with my DD when she was tiny. She had nonstop blowouts with Huggies. Kirkland diapers had a weird electrical fire smell when they got wet and DH couldn't stand it. Like PPs said, buy small packs when there are sales and see what works best for your kid. We did switch over to Target brand when she was around 11 or 12 months and those have worked fine, except for overnight. If you have a heavy wetter over night, you're going to need something better. We used Pampers Baby Dry for night time. 
    Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker