July 2019 Moms
Options

does the smell of peppermint really help ease morning sickness?

The last few days my morning sickness has really kicked in. Im trying to find ways to help ease it just so I can get food down. Ive heard peppermint oil helps, has anyone tried this? If so did you just buy a bottle of peppermint essential oils and smell it or did you buy an essential oil diffuser? Im really debating on buying one, but it it doesnt help then I dont want to waste my money. Im 6 weeks and had nausea since week 4 but the last few days Ive stared getting sick.

Re: does the smell of peppermint really help ease morning sickness?

• Options
    @denius9117 this is the perfect question for our weekly symptoms thread.

Peppermint does help some but what works for one won't always help the other. Maybe try some peppermints or peppermint gum first. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Ive tried gum and it helps for like 30 minutes but ive been having nausea that lasts the entire day so i cant chew gum 24 hours
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @denius9117 As someone with horrible never ending nausea and MS all through pregnancy...for me it doesn't work. The smell of anything...especially the same smell on a regular basis...at some point will start making me throw up. And nothing that worked even a little in my last pregnancy works now. Let me know if you find something though. I need something!
  • Options
    I tried eating peppermints but it didn't help.

Really sour stuff helped me - Sour Patch kids specifically. I would just suck the sour off and toss the candy. I guess sour candy helps a lot of women, because they make these really sour lollipops for this reason, but I didn't discover them until too late.

Preggie Pops

Other than that, my doc recommended B6 supplements.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had my husband order the preggie drops with b6 for me yesterday, they come in sour raspberry and lemon. Im hoping they help, I even have been using the Sea bands.
  • Options
    denius9117denius9117 member
    edited November 2018
    Panaceia I have tried the sea bands, have you tried those?
  • Options
    @denius9117 No I haven't. Do they work at all for you?
  • Options
    I think I'm going to cut up a lemon when I get home and see if sucking on that helps at all:/
  • Options
    Panaceia  they have helped a little bit, I I was skeptical at first but they help a little bit. Im really going to need them for a 9 hour vacation car ride next month for motion sickness. Let me know if that works! If it does then I may have to run to the store.
  • Options
    I froze some grapes and have been eating them and they've been helping my nausea
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    For me peppermint helps with headaches. Mix one drop essential oil with a little olive oil or coconut oil and rub on hands to inhail or on temples. Has a great cooling sensation. I haven’t tried it for nausea yet. I have a defuser at my desk at work and at home. Love it for many different ailments. Makes the home smell great too. 
  • Options
    @denius9117 I'm not sure if it's a fluke but I was feeling like dirt so I sliced up a lemon and ate a few pieces...and I have been feeling pretty normal...good normal...barely any underlying nausea at all...for the past hour. I'll try this again tomorrow and report back!
  • Options
    Someone recommend trying peantbutter and toast. So I did. It was the best breakfast ever today and helped a lot with the nausea.
  • Options
    Burt’s Bees medicated lip balm with menthol & eucalyptus has given me brief relief from my bouts of nausea!
  • Options
    I thought peppermint wasn't safe during pregnancy. Maybe it's when TTC or at the end of pregnancy? I have no idea where I heard this or if it's even true.  I'm hoping it's not true because the morning sickness is absolutely real and if sipping on some peppermint tea or hot chocolate would help, I'm all for it!