March 2019 Moms
Options

Product spotlight: Diaper bags

Let's discuss diaper bags this week!

What do you have? What are you thinking about getting? What features are important to you? What features are useless? Questions?

Re: Product spotlight: Diaper bags

• Options
    FTM so no experience here. I registered for a backpack diaper bag because I have never been a fan of carrying around a large bag (my purse is the bare minimum size to hold my cards, cash, and keys). But since I've never done this before, I am open to hearing if there are any drawbacks to this plan.
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited November 2018
    @mayoduck I keep a larger wallet that I transfer from bag to bag. I'm also a big fan of using smaller cosmetic bags to organize things and making it easier to move. I keep one for stuff for me (tampons, chapstick, sunscreen, etc.) one for diapers, wipes and hand sanitizer, one for restaurant toys for my toddler and one for snacks. It makes it easier to take stock of what I have and take it out if I'm headed out without a kid.

We used a messenger bag that MH insisted on at first. It worked out pretty well until I got sick of carrying such a masculine bag. I go for large purses with some kind of cross body strap now and organize it with the above system. A change pad, interior pockets, and zip top are essential to me. I also use a key hook so my keys don't get lost in the black hole.

I'm looking at getting the Madewell Zip Top Medium Transporter Carryall ( https://www.madewell.com/the-zip-top-transport-carryall-H2584.html?dwvar_H2584_co ) for Christmas with it being my main bag in mind. I looked at it yesterday in a store though and I'm a little dissatisfied with the quality. It seems kind of primitive in comparison to the Kate Spade bags I like to get. It just doesn't seem worth the price, so I might keep looking.

ETA: Huggies sells refillable travel wipes containers that are awesome. They have a nice strong closure and they keep wipes fresh for a long time. I like that I can refill it with whatever brand I use regularly. I keep that with a travel hand sanitizer in the baggie with diapers. They also make "diaper clutches" which have a change pad with it. Those are kind of cool because it's all in one and is easy when the diapers are small, but I prefer to have a separate change pad and diaper baggie when they're bigger.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just used a tote with lots of pockets with DS. I got a “diaper clutch” - one of the fold-up changing pads with an attached pocket for diapers and wipes which worked pretty well for me. My pump came with a little cooler bag which I used if we brought bottles with us. Candidly, my son hated bottles, so having a bag without an insulated portion was not an issue.
    I’ve been in love with a petunia picklebottom bag for years now and found it on eBay for a great price recently. I adore it; but honestly, the actual bag itself is pretty similar to the generic tote I carried previously in terms of pockets/useful features etc... 
    So basically, my advice is check out your bag on choice in person and get whatever you think will work best for you!
  • Options
    @meggyme breaking things up into cosmetic bags sounds like a great idea. I will have to try that!
    @lelkcot I think trying out the bag in-person is a good idea, unfortunately I have not yet been able to find a place by me that sells baby items outside of clothes and formula and such. The closest Buy Buy Baby is an hour's drive away and of course Babies R Us isn't an option anymore. Are there other go-to stores you can suggest for trying things out?
  • Options
    This is the bag I have been looking at: https://www.amazon.com/CoolBELL-Backpack-Insulated-Water-resistant-Multi-functional/dp/B01LZ8MYT3
    I want something unisex, so my husband and I can use the same bag, and prefer backpack in part because I have scoliosis and a backpack more evenly distributes the weight of what I am carrying.
  • Options
    @mayoduck the only thing I can see that would annoy me with a backpack is being able to sling it over the stroller. If the straps are left long enough you probably could, but then the bag ends up sideways and depending on bottle seals, that could cause a mess. It could also be difficult to get into if you end up babywearing a lot.
  • Options
    @mayoduck I found my first bag at TJ Maxx, those type of store tend to have lots of options, even thought they might not be actual diaper bags. And if you’re favorite is on amazon, I’d honestly consider just ordering it and if you get it and it doesn’t work, just return it. The joys of amazons good return policy!
  • Options
    I had a tote with DD but it always bothered me that there wasn’t a longer strap to be able to carry across my body instead of just on my shoulder. DH doesn’t want me to buy a new one because he’s cheap. But I’d really like an upgrade! We hardly used the stroller with DD, I had to carry her in a carrier everywhere so carrying it on the shoulder was difficult. 

The nice thing about the tote is all the pockets to store things. Like someone else mentioned I just transferred my wallet in and out. As for other things I might usually have in a purse I just made sure to have a second set in the diaper bag. 

I do have to say after the diaper stage I had a bigger purse and still have a medium sized one now. My kid always wants a snack or toy when we are out running errands. Also when potty training I would make sure to have a spare pair of undies and pants in my purse. She is almost 5 now but I still stow wipes in the car and a bag of snacks. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    I was gifted a really cute all black, quilted traditional style Vera Bradley bag with a foldout diaper changing mat. It was nice, but newborns especially require A LOT of supplies. This style of bag just couldn't fit much stuff, or at least in any organized way. I got a backpack style one at around 2 months and LOVE it.
  • Options
    i bought a bigger kate spade diaper bag on poshmark during my last pregnancy-- came with a cute changing pad too. I still love it, but with my toddler I usually just pack his backpack and make him lug it around. I also use a lightweight patagonia backpack if I know i'll be walking around. && I always keep a clutch with diapers and a mini wipe pack in my car for emergency blowouts. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    I have never had an actual diaper bag. I used and still use a large tote bag that someone gifted me, non baby related. It's basically a big open tote with some flat pockets against the sides and a large zippered pocket in the middle. I added a zip top myself because it didn't shut previously. 

It worked fine. I did register for an actual diaper bag, but I didn't get it so I made do with what we have. I have never used something with lots of individual pockets and organization. I think something like that would be nice, but having mostly a big open area works fine too.
  • Options
    My husband and I were gifted a nice Columbia backpack that has held up really well. It has an insulated pocket which is nice. It also has stroller clips so we can transfer onto the stroller if we are using the stroller. The backback has turned into DH's diaper bag, and I will hijack it if I don't have time to pack mine, haha.

I bought a SkipHop bag on Amazon for cyber Monday when I was pregnant with DD. It was a fine bag for quick outings, but it didn't have a lot of room for bottles, etc. It wasn't good to grow with is a good way of saying it. This model was the SkipHop Duo.

I splurged when DD turned 1 and got a JuJuBe Be Prepared bag that was navy and kelly green (my favorite color combo). It has a nice "mom" pocket in the front. A nice changing pad, two insulated pockets (the only negative is they don't zip), and plenty of mesh pockets for organization on the inside.

I also like cosmetic type bags like @meggyme suggested. That actually is probably the best route as I was a sucker and got these on Amazon. I'm rather, uh, a fanatic about my organization and color coding is my love language, haha. I keep the blue one in my car at all times.
  • Options
    My DH and I registered for, received, and still currently (he’s 19 months) use the skip hop chevron messenger diaper bag. 

I like it well enough as others have mentioned it doesn’t have a place for insulated bottles but it wasn’t necessary for us. DS was exclusively BF and we just bought a bottle bag from skip hop at TJmax when I went back to work to transport it to the babysitters. I like it because it’s not too big (doesn’t allow us to carry too much that isn’t necessary) but it’s big enough for our needs. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting something else since now we’ll have two and the messenger bag is on the small side but DH is set on using what we have and if I get something else it has to work for him as well (he transports to the babysitter often as well). 

I will say my mom got us a wet/dry bag also from skip hop. We love it! It was especially nice when DS was younger with blow outs, etc. 
  • Options
    With my first I had a messenger bag-style diaper bag (the brand was Built, if I remember correctly - I'm at work). It held well in 3 years, but one of the straps started to develop a hole at the seams. And since we'll have a toddler to supervise this time around and want my hands free, I got a Columbia backpack from Buy Buy Baby, using the registry creation discount. Let's see how it will work out. 
  • Options
    A couple friends of mine recommended getting 2 diaper bags, one for each parent, so that in the event that say one diaper bag was left in the car of one parent, the other parent still has a diaper bag. Did anyone else find that multiple diaper bags were useful or is that unnecessary?
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited November 2018
    @mayoduck we didn’t need 2 diaper bags. DH could usually get by with the diaper clutch, a burp rag and a pacifier. Although it’s a nice safety blanket, most of the time you’re carrying the diaper bag it’s for “what if’s”. 

That said, I still keep a few spare diapers and wipes in the trunk of the car.
  • Options
    @mayoduck We didn't need 2 diaper bags either. Ours was black with grey, and DH was fine with carrying it. Worst case you can always put a few diapers, wipes and snacks in a reusable bag for a one-time emergency. There is also the issue of cost, since they are so pricey, you're better off getting a neutral one and investing the money into more baby gear.
  • Options
    Here’s what we have...I’m not overly impressed with it, especially because the price is slightly steep for what seems like a typical diaper bag. I still use it for my 18 month old and it works fine, but I’d like something slightly larger since I’ll now have to carry things for two kids. 

The one one thing I do like about the one I have is that it doesn’t look like a diaper bag as much as some of the others. I like that it’s black and could pass for a regular bag. 
  • Options
    We have used 2 diaper bags in the past. We use a backpack diaper bag that is awesome. I love that I can continue to use it even though my kids are well past the diaper stage now. We always have stuff to keep the kids busy in it like crayons, books and small toys. The other diaper bag is just for daycare. This does not have toys etc in it. We got a "doctor's style" bag (that's the only way I can explain it) to hold the cloth diapers and bottles for daycare. It looks like this: https://poshmark.com/listing/Lands-End-Diaper-Bag-5a20afd356b2d6287900927b because it opens so wide it is awesome for daycare and carrying a day's worth of cloth diapers each day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was torn been torn between getting a Fawn Design diaper bag or one from another company. I like Fawn, but everyone has one these days. Ultimately, I ordered the Out & About diaper backpack from Mint Lime during Black Friday. I love the design, it's unique and has a lot of storage. My friend has a Fawn Design and she loves it too. Either of these are great diaper bags. 
  • Options
    @ashmama19 I got a fawn bag through their black Friday sale - - I just used it today for the first time, so far I like it. Hopefully it holds up well to a baby! After buying it I read 2 people had zipper breaks and couldn't get help from fawn to fix it, so fingers crossed. I think the pockets on the out and about is cute and more spouse friendly! I have a hard time picturing DH with the fawn, to be honest.
  • Options
    mamakate1616mamakate1616 member
    edited December 2018
    I got a ju ju be be prepared for Christmas and I am pretty excited to start using it. My birthday is next weekend so hoping I get some more goodies (eg robe/swaddle set from milkmaid goods) so I can start playing around with hospital packing. :mrgreen: I previously had a BFF but that style wasn’t for me so I returned it.
     My diaper bag for the first year was a standard skip hop shoulder strap bag, it was honestly perfect for me and if they still made them in colors other than black I would have bought another of those.
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    I’ve found backpack style ones are the most convenient. They stay on when you have to bend over to pick up baby or car seat. They also have lots of pockets to organize things and close completely so things do not fall out.

The only draw back is many places do not allow backpacks now even if they look nice/stylish like a purse. We went to a museum recently and I wasn’t able to take it in which I would have been really bugged with if I did have a newborn and not a potty trained toddler. 
  • Options
    @JLaVO888 wow, it didn't occur to me that they might not allow backpack diaper bags in some places! We got a Columbia backpack now after having a shoulder bag with DS1, and I guess I have to move between the two with DS2 depending on where we go.
  • Options
    Ended up with a HAPP brand diaper bag because it didn't look super "diaper bag" like and could use for later and a leather Kalecom one in a light color for Summer. Both can be used later b/c they look more like purses / carry-on type but have tons of pockets and easy to clean. But they have the strap that goes across your body to stay on when carrying baby around hands free.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    Does anyone have a Petunia Pickle Bottom ? I'm looking at the intermix and boxy bags. I really like the intermix, but I want to make sure it's worth the price and large enough for two? Any input?
  • Options
    I had three “cheap” bags before
    giving in and getting a Petunia Pickle Bottom. For me, all the extra pockets just means digging through every zippered spot for the thing I need, so one big space is best for us. I’m sorry I can’t remember which version it is...and I bet they have a lot of different options now. What I will say is that you can find B/S/T groups on Facebook and get a really great deal on them...I bought mine on sale, but you can save a ton of money by keeping an eye out for a used one of what you want. 
  • Options
    Thanks @peacebubblebaby. I’ve been eyeing one on Poshmark.
  • Options
    @chocolatelemons I had my eye on a petunia picklebottom cake bag since before DS was born. Couldn’t justify splurging on it with DS, but found it for a steal on EBay a few months ago. So can’t comment on usefulness, but highly recommend checking out EBay for a used version in good shape!
  • Options
    I leave supplies in the car and bring only a diaper and wipes with me in my purse.
  • Options
    I received 2 diaper bags before I had DD1, this skiphop backback and a Marc Jacobs baby bag. The Skiphop is definitely more convenient, because of the backpack aspect (and I liked wearing it when I was wearing both DD1 and DD2, as it helped me feel like the weight was balanced between the baby on my front and the backpack on my back), but I do keep all of my stuff organized in smaller bags that can be switched out between the two at the spur of the moment (and then I just throw my wallet in).

The only upside to the MJ bag is that it is absolutely huge, so if you're the kind of person who wants to carry a ton of stuff (my girls were exclusively formula fed and I always felt like I needed to carry around more stuff because of that - don't ask me why), it's great for that.  But otherwise I think the backpack style is much easier to lug around.
  • Options
    @mamakate1616 I've also been looking at the juju be prepared. Do you think it's big enough for a toddler and and infant? 
  • Options
    @chocolatelemons yes I think so. It is borderline too big lol. I plan on using it for my hospital bag it’s so big. I really like the pockets and the way it opens & shoulder drop is comfy. YouTube has a bunch of video reviews too which is what helped sway me
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    My husband really wants a small, light backpack like this 20L - https://www.rei.com/product/895887/osprey-daylite-plus-daypack
    He hates the diaper bag style backpacks, and would prefer a regular one. I'm a little worried that 20L won't be big enough, but he is convinced that it's plenty for what we need and that if we got a bigger one we'd just keep filling it with stuff that we don't need and it would end up heavy and uncomfortable. I do think he's right about that, and I usually don't even carry a purse - just a small wallet, phone, and car keys. But we do want to use cloth diapers, and I know they take up more room, and I'm worried there are other things I'm not thinking of. Are there any reasons that actual diaper bag backpacks are better than regular ones?
  • Options
    @babycolima12 That backpack maybe ok. You can always keep a caddy in the car for extra diapers, etc if needed. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    @babycolima12 we used a messenger style carryon for our first diaper bag. I got tired of not carrying a purse since I carried the diaper bag most often and ended up changing to a purse/diaper bag. Being able to easily access everything is really important so you’re not emptying it trying to find a diaper in a gross bathroom.
  • Options
    @mamakate1616 Was the bff too small for you? I actually thought you said you got that one but then I reread and saw you got the be prepared. I think the beprepared is bigger than what I’m looking for.
  • Options
    @chocolatelemons it was a good size I just didn’t like the backpack straps or the gold hardware. Plus at that point I was more price sensitive so I didn’t really give it a chance. 
  • Options
    @mamakate1616 Gotcha, thanks for the input. I've been going crazy searching for a bag. I have the jujube bff in my amazon cart now, but now I've started looking at the Fawn Design. I don't really want to spend $179 on a fake leather bag, but I just love the way it looks. I just need to choose one.  :s 
  • Options
    @chocolatelemons it bothers me that they're faux leather too. All the cute Honest Co ones are too.