May 2019 Moms
Options

Appointments Week of 11/12

2»

Re: Appointments Week of 11/12

• Options
    I had my HCG levels monitored for a couple weeks after I found out I was pregnant which started the same day I got a positive test, but no pee tests. I was at high risk of ectopic which is why they monitored so closely at first. Maybe I'll bring it up to my doctor on Monday, but I'm really not overly concerned this early. 
  • Options
    @mcewen3 a mom in my last BMB had been feeling like crap for a while, made a doctor's appt, then figured they'd check for pregnancy to rule it out so she took a test before going in. It was positive and she got an appointment the next week (never had a PP period). They dated her at around 16 weeks at that appointment but everyone was super calm about it from what I understand. She was upset she'd been drinking and hadn't planned to have kids that close together (16 months apart) but everything has been smooth. No freak out from her nurses/doctors lol. But she handled it all very well since she was a STM, to your point.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mcewen3 um, so weird. Though, I will say, in my experience, OB offices tend to be more 'by the book' than midwives. I started both of my previous pregnancies with an OB and both times required a referral from my family doctor before I could be booked for my first appointment. Getting the referral involved getting bloodwork to confirm pregnancy. But with my midwives, all I had to do was fill out a form on their website. Then again, you were already seeing a midwife - the receptionist should not have flipped like that if you're just transferring your care from one medical professional to another and it's ridiculous that you would have to go in to pee in a cup and confirm pregnancy. They should just be able to request your medical records from your midwife. So so weird.

I had an appointment today and all is well! All the NT scan and bloodwork stuff came back low risk and baby's heart rate was a beautiful 158. The anatomy scan is booked for December 4, and my next appointment is booked the week after that. I am really going to blow through my medical/dental days at work... will have to chat with HR about that soon.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @k2k2tog my midwife didn't require me to "confirm in clinic" ;) Apparently thats the big deal, lol.  Honestly, midwives seem like they are far less common in Saskatchewan.  There are only 16 registered midwives in the province so maybe the lady at reception really didn't know much about modern midwifery and thought I was a kooke, lol.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I have an appointment in half an hour, and I'm soooooooooooooo nervous for some reason. Maybe because I feel great? I have to confront the NP about the billing stuff too which I just want to hide in a shell. 
  • Options
    @SpaceBurger thinking of you and sending you the strength to get all of that straightened out!

• Options
    Thanks @kvh22 , appointment went well! The NP told me to just keep fighting the costs because it was crazy that they were that high. The gene testing they did was something for cystic fibrosis which is I guess is normal? I apparently had it done with DD, but the test has gotten better, so they re-test everyone from 2017 on. The CF networks did a huge push to make the testing routine. Problem is, it costs $1166!!! and after insurance it's $500!. 

• Options
    @SpaceBurger oh that's super interesting. I am a CF carrier but was pregnant and tested with DD In February of 2017 so assuming it was already that "better" testing. They could basically tell me which "strain" or whatever the correct term is. My cousin and sister both found out they were carriers after (cousin when she was pregnant, sister because it cost $20 for the test she took as it was covered since I'm a carrier, but she wasn't pregnant so I assume just carrier Y/N). My testing was run through the state of CA and I actually have no idea what it cost. They sent the bill a year after the test was conducted (because CA gov't barely functions but I'll take my FMLA benefits thankyouverymuch) and I assume it was negligible. I have my amazon smile set to donate to the CF Foundation, though, as there's so much they have done to create better outcomes for those who suffer from it. When my sister decides to get pregnant, they can test her SO and IVF would be covered if he's also a carrier as that's cheaper than all the costs to insurance for someone with CF. Anyways, I'll shut up but yes, definitely fight it.

• Options
    @kvh22 That's super interesting! Yea it seems like if they are that routine that they should be more like $20 rather than the $500 I'm on the hook for. Did they have to test your SO for it once they found out that you were a carrier?

• Options
    @SpaceBurger yup. It was a very stressful 2 weeks (took a few days for him to be able to get the order for the test and the proof of my results so it'd be covered and then to actually have time to go to the lab to get the blood draw). I feel like it should be a lesser version of the NIPT cost. Shouldn't cost more than $20-50 (but really, less than that) if it's going to be standard for everyone. 

• Options
    14 week appt today with the NP. I forgot to ask for the flu shot again so just going to go to the pharmacy Sunday. Baby looked good on the US but we need to wait until tomorrow for the doctor to review it and check my SCH. 
  • Options
    @SpaceBurger my hospital tests before each pregnancy assuming you have a preconception visit (I did). Seems overkill but I guess they'd prefer to be safe and my insurance covers it bc the hospital deems it medically necessary.

I hung out with a mom today who was a carrier as was her H. They did IVF and got one embryo that didn't have CF. It was wild to hear and think about.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I wish I'd done a preconception visit. It was a horrible thing to learn while already pregnant. I told my PCP before we started trying and I got a MMR titer, but no other blood work done. Also, glad it worked out for that mom. I find it so interesting to hear about someone who actually had both parents be carriers and did IVF.

• Options
    @SpaceBurger where do you live, again? Im in Chicago and as far as I know,  CF testing is not standard. I was checked when I was pregnant with DD only because I have a second cousin who had it (he passed away a few years ago). 
    Thankfully, I'm not a carrier so I did not need to be checked again this pregnancy.  
    Either way,  I agree,  if they are going to make something "standard" than they need to cover it completely just as any other preventive measure.  

• Options
    @expandcontract I live in southern California. I'm being charged for alllll the blood tests, even my blood typing one. 

• Options
    @SpaceBurger so DH and I both had a panel testing to see if we were carriers of genetic disorders done and I’m absolutely certain you have to give informed consent. They can’t just run the test without telling you because some people would choose not to know. Also, call the company and see if you can negotiate down. Our test was run by Counsyl and DH has not met his deductible at that point, but it was still only $300. What your NP is saying just sounds suspect to me. It sounds like she or the lab made a mistake reordering the test and she’s trying to cover her ass.
  • Options
  • Options
    @chloe97 that's very possible! I know they can't do ANYTHING without your consent unless backed up law. And they especially can't force you to do a test that costs that much for which you would have to pay out of pocket.  

• Options
    Yea, I agree! I'm going to formally contest the charges. I'm just waiting for the billing breakdown I requested. The saga continues!