April 2019 Moms
Options

California Fires - check in

Hi folks, 
I live in an area of Northern Ca that lost over 5000 homes in the TUBBS fire last October. 

Now there are several fires wiping out entire towns and cities right now both in Southern CA and in Northern CA. We are under a shroud of smoke so thick that it’s dropped below freezing in November. Something that here doesn’t happen until Christmas usually. 

I wanted to check in and see if anyone is evacuated from our group or need help but also just let folks know that This is happening and if any of you are praying people to pray for the wind to stop so they can stop the fires from hitting new towns tonight. 

I have about a dozen friends who either lost everything or are living in limbo not knowing if they lost everything. :/ 

Re: California Fires - check in

• Options
    From my friend.

In 1 DAY the Camp Fire is THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE FIRE IN CALIFORNIA HISTORY 😓
    As of now:
    -90,000 Acres (140+ square miles)
    -52,000 evacuated 
    -6,453 homes destroyed
    -260 businesses 
    -9 confirmed fatalities 

And numbers still growing 

I’m still waiting on news reports for Magalia. The fire ripped through Magalia today and it’s not looking good for us, but to be honest, no one really knows unless they have photographic confirmation. So we won’t know until we’re let back in - in likely a week 🤷‍♀️ Our hearts are heavy. We are all in shock. We are all grieving. We’re all in this together. We’re not alone. And it’s not over. 

• Options
    @kbirchtree That sounds terrifying! I hope you and your family are safe and that help gets to those in need. Take care! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sending my love and thoughts and hope to everyone affected by the wildfires. The smoke cloud started coming in last night, even though the fire is hundreds of miles away.
  • Options
    I'm in Northern CA too, far enough away to not be in danger, but the smoke is absolutely horrible. We were evacuated in August during the River fire, so this definitely brings up a lot of emotions. My heart is breaking for all those affected  <3 
  • Options
    We’ve got lots of smoke here but I’m not super near either fire. My parents do have a friend up near Chico but I haven’t heard yet if he’s okay or not. I’m really hoping so since he just a couple weeks ago lost his wife to cancer. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sending all my Ts&Ps to those affected by the fires! I was evacuated in August when fires affected my community in southern California, it was terrifying. We were blessed that our home was saved
  • Options
    For the word yesterday that their home is gone, as well as their sis in laws home and the parents home. :/ 

smoke is not ideal here. I’ve been wearing a mask to help protect means baby. I have asthma so the “unhealthy” air levels are hazardous for me.  
  • Options
    @kbirchtree We got a huge load of smoke yesterday afternoon, don’t know if the wind kicked up and brought in a fresh wave of it or it stopped or what. I had a mask on as well since I have asthma too. We were under a dense smoke advisory and have high wind warnings, which I’m sure are not helping to fight everything. 

My dad said the smoke had reached the Bay Area yesterday. He was in Hayward for work earlier and said it was awful. 

And I heard from my parents that their friend is in Redding right now so safe currently.  
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Options
    I’m not near any of the fires, but the smoke has made its way to where I live. Air quality is not great. Hope everyone is okay. I can only imagine how scary it is.
  • Options
    Just saw a photo of my daily commute for three years, and half the sky is red. Horrible. Stay safe, Cali ladies.
  • Options
    Sending thoughts your way, ladies.  I can't even imagine going through all of that.  I hope the wildfires are contained and smoke clears soon....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    T&P to everyone in California.  Be safe, especially those with asthma. I hope those winds die down to help the firefighters out. I have lots of family over there too. My cousins go to the college where that horrible bar shooting was last week, thankfully they’re both safe.
  • Options
    Hoping all of you in CA stay safe!! So scary. Our friends have been posting photos of the smoke around LA —hope you all stay healthy and safe!!
  • Options
    Here is orange sun on day one and two of the fire  it’s a little better today  the 
  • Options
    I’m nowhere near the fires (Midwest) but I want all you ladies to know I’m praying and thinking of you all. Please stay safe. 
  • Options
    Thanks for starting this thread, @kbirchtree! Seems so far like you're the one from our community closest to being caught up in these fires...?
    We're in LA (and visiting the Bay Area this week) and haven't had anything but smoke to contend with, but that sounds like nothing compared to actually being near the fire.

Please let us know if your friends who have been affected by the fires are receiving help from particular groups/charities that could use donations! I want to help but I'm always a little uncertain about which groups would use the money best.
  • Options
    The air quality in the bay area is so bad today, they are saying the worst ever. And I just read that exposure from this week is equivalent to having smoked for a year... (which sounds insane!). I've relented and started wearing a mask when going out and since schools were all cancelled today I didn't go to work. Mainly staying indoors. Anyone else in NorCal being affected by the bad air? 
  • Options
    @laurainoakland Yep. I'm further inland, actually only about 90 miles away from Chico/Paradise but it's been awful here. I actually need to buy some masks since i have asthma i should be wearing one more often. Yesterday morning the sun was literally copper colored at 8am from everything in the air.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Options
    I'm looking forward to escaping the bad air tomorrow for Thanksgiving week. My allergies have been truly awful from the smoke and breathing is definitely harder.
  • Options
    The air quality is terrible. I live where it is about 175 and I have asthma. So mask it is. But in town it’s 230+ and any closer to Chico is 300+ 
    hazardous. 

@mesweettea if you want to help I can send you a go fund me of real families in need that I know or am friends with their friends, that’s probably the best way to directly impact a family for the better. 
  • Options
    I grew up in Sonoma County and the devastation after the fire last year is immense. I have extended family and friends all through the state and just watch my FB feed as more and more people i know and love lose their homes, work spaces or are displaced without knowing what’s left. 

Im in San Diego now and thankfully we haven’t had much, but we also don’t have wet weather yet either. 

Praying for all of you affected by the fires and hoping this all ends soon!
  • Options
    @laurainoakland I’m in SJ and so many schools have been cancelled. DD’s wasn’t but the teacher told me they have only gone outside to use the restroom or walk to the cafeteria so I’m not worried about sending her. Nobody can find masks anywhere so we have been inside all week and I’m going insane with the little ones I watch. 
  • Options
    @harveyisaboysname ugh sorry! It’s hard being indoors here with little ones, so much of life is out in the sunshine here, and yeah so many stores just ran out of masks as fast as they arrived... praying for this promised rain to come (tomorrow?) and wash away the pollution (although that raises questions about where all of the pollution goes next? Into the soil and the bay?). 
  • Options
    Yep. But I think I’d take it in the soil, much of it is fine for soil and just not for breathing. The worst smoke was the first 4 days with house and car chemicals. 

We had 126 air today so we played outside for 15 min. It was needed. Cabin fever in a 2.9 year old is rough.