June 2019 Moms

All Things Christmas!

Re: All Things Christmas!

• @KissMeImScottish love your tree! I think we will get our tree this weekend! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @KissMeImScottish will you help me decorate. I love decorations but I'm horrible at decorating my house is plain because I just don't know how to put it together. Your kids are so cute and they look like they're having a blast!
  • You all are so sweet, thank you. Making me feel much better about the other disaster areas in the house, haha. Christmas decorations make me feel so happy - I feel like they help stave off the sadness that can come from it getting dark so early in the winter. The extra week that we are getting from Thanksgiving happening so early this year has given me extra time to make sure I get things done, since I’m moving at 1/2 speed these days.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KissMeImScottish that looks so beautiful and cozy!!!! Are you by any chance willing to run a bed and breakfast?? lol

• @KissMeImScottish your house is beautiful!!! It looks so cozy! 
  • Ordered our Christmas cards yesterday. Thank you, cyber Monday! Ho Ho Ho ☃️
  • @KissMeImScottish - Don't mind me, but I'm just gonna come on over and sit in that chaise and read my book. 

I addressed our Christmas cards today! Now MH and I just have to sit down and actually fill them out (they're postcards). I'm feeling nervous about them because they have our official family announcement on them. Gonna wait until after my US on Thursday to mail them. 
  • @harrierwife, as soon as my kids are in bed, that’s pretty much exactly what I do in the winter. Believe it or not, everything in that room is thrifted. The bookcases and the couch are hand me downs from my parents from when they moved - they downsized and the sectional and large cases didn’t work in the new space. The couch is SO incredibly comfortable. You basically sink into it. In the winter, with a fire, especially with the tree up, I’m very happy to stay in that room forever. Also, I need to get on Christmas cards. It’s pretty much the only way I ever get around to getting a nice photo of the kids together. You’re giving me motivation. (You too, @luckystar28 !) I also got a random “50% off sale prices because we glitched” Shutterfly email coupon today, so I really need to get on that.

@chrssyms, I LOVE your puppy’s collar! How fun is that! I need to pull out our girl’s Christmas collar. She’s still rocking her Thanksgiving/fall oak leaves and squirrels.

@vv826, thank you! They had a lot of fun, though it’s a lot of chaos that just looks pretty in pictures, haha. At least they enjoyed themselves. And I can’t take all the credit - I do enjoy interior design, but my mom could seriously do it professionally and she had a strong hand in how my house looks now. She can’t help but rearrange every time she comes over, haha.

@BlondePeanut, I actually would love to do that some day. I think it would be a blast! My grandparents owned one in Stowe, Vermont when my dad was a kid and I love hearing the stories.

@ki1244, I love Christmas traditions in general. They can be super simple and not seem like a big deal, but that’s what your kids are going to remember as they get older. I remember, too, when I moved out for the first time, going through the ornaments to find all of mine. It was super important to me that I have them with me for my own tree.

@antera23, thank you! Cozy is definitely the vibe we’re going for. I need more garland and lights. If only I could afford the new French doors for the playroom that I’ve been coveting...maybe next year.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This morning i made the mistake of watching one of our cdn airlines Christmas videos... ensue ugly crying. They are doing an advent calendar of videos this year i think they posted the one today on facebook but these are some from the past few years https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/about-us/christmas-miracle for those that want to join in on my favorite holiday tradition lol 
  • I’m watching one of the best Christmas movies... Die Hard! Ha my MIL always disagrees that it’s a Christmas movie, but it is certainly is! It takes place on Christmas Eve! “Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho”
  • Have you guys seen Christmas Chronicles on Netflix yet? So cute! I’m all about the cheesy holiday movies this year! Thanks hormones! lol what’s everyone’s favorite? I have to go with Christmas Vacation, or Emmit Otter’s Jugband Christmas.
  • @chrssyms - YES IT IS! I've found myself in several arguments over whether or not Die Hard was a Christmas movie! 

Also a Christmas movie - Hook. 
  • @pigglesworth - I will admit to watching Elf twice this week. 
  • @srscott3 hah that’s great! My dad thought it was particularly funny when I told him that’s how I felt. 
  • @KissMeImScottish love your decor! 

@chrssyms what kind of dog is that? So cute. 
  • @whitney812 she’s an Australian cattledog mix. We have no idea what she’s mixed with. She’s a great dog. 
  • I got my husband’s Christmas present and I want to KEEP it. I got him a Jets third jersey with his name and number on it. Authentic with the strap and everything. He’s gonna DIE when he opens it. 
  • Anyone have any good savory pastry/baked goods recipes?  We have a gate clearance for the next few weeks to bring snacks into the prison, and I want to do something other than cookies/cupcakes/etc.  Only thing is, the items can't be in glass or aluminum or a crock pot.  I really wanted to make a quiche, but I can't think of any way to keep it warm.  If nothing else, I'll make sweets but I'd love any suggestions y'all may have.
  • @skatejawn27, are there restrictions for allergies? My father is an INCREDIBLE cook and I got a book of his recipes for Christmas a couple years back that has some amazing options in it, if you’re interested. Just wondering about things like nuts, before I make any suggestions.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kissmeimscottish Nope, no allergy issues!
  • @skatejawn27 what about putting it in a cooler with like heated up magic bags or something else i am not smart enough to think of atm.

@battleangel awesome did you order off nhl website? We ordered onesies in our team colors (obvi) but i was mad since we cant get our season seat holder discount with ordering online but cant get some stuff in store
  • @canuckbaby That's a good idea, but I work in a prison, so a cooler and heat bags would be considered contraband. 

• @skatejawn27 dangit i thoght maybe a plastic cooler would be okay. That is very limiting 
  • @meatballs37, found this on Amazon:

Holiday Basics 4 Foot Artificial Christmas Tree with 350 Tips (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3PSOCL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4UMeCb4EJJK8M
    Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @skatejawn27, I know you said baked goods/pastries, but since you’re looking for savory, these are staples of our holiday table that are amazing hors d'oeuvres. The pecans are especially good, none of these recipes are particularly time consuming, all can be transported in a Tupperware or on a plate, and all are savory. I also have a great recipe for a tomato onion galette/tarte that is absolutely one of my favorites and is delicious at room temp.

Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kissmeimscottish Holy cow, those sound fantastic!!  Could you share that tomato tart recipe, too?
  • @skatejawn27, of course. This book was one of my absolute favorite gifts ever and it’s filled with recipes that my dad knew I loved growing up. I hope you enjoy them - if you make any of them, please let me know how they came out!

(Also, I noticed my dad’s use of GBD to know when something is done - that means golden brown and delicious)

Married 25 May, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • harrierwifeharrierwife member
    edited December 2018
    @meatballs37 - I saw a few at Target last year in white and silver! Don't know if they have them again this year, but I'm sure Amazon would have a decent selection? Here's one.

EDIT: Ehh, I like @kissmeimscottish 's suggestion better
  • @KissMeImScottish your dad made you that cook book? With personal notes and everything? That is the sweetest idea. I really love that.