1st Trimester

How far along were you when you finally tested positive? Also, flying at 15/16 weeks??

edited November 2018 in 1st Trimester
Edit: unbelievable. Ask a question about someones experience, and I get pounced on to stop asking for advice and see a doctor. Judgmental little. I have seen a doctor. All she would do is a urine test. Other places I've been too would only do a urine test. And no other tests have or would be done. So... I don't know why I even have to explain this. I asked for personal experience... not hashing out my personal life or decisions. Or trying to avoid seeing a doctor by asking about other peoples experience. Which if it was, would be my prerogative since no one knows my situation. 
This is crazy. The one place I truly thought I would have support. :'( 
And again, many women have not had a positive result until 20 weeks... all I was asking if anyone was in the same boat. 

**figuring out how to delete this. 

Re: How far along were you when you finally tested positive? Also, flying at 15/16 weeks??

• @holisticmamaxo Echoing what @delujm0 said- please go see a doctor or nurse-midwife. You need to get a blood pregnancy test done and determine for sure whether you are pregnant or not, for your health as well as the baby’s. Only a professional can make the call as to whether it is safe for you to fly for the holidays, not people on the internet. If you aren’t pregnant, then it is very important that you find out what is causing the symptoms, because they can be very serious in a non-pregnant patient, and it is better to not end up in the ER or hospital if you can avoid it. If healthcare access/affordability is an issue for you, please know that this is a *very* important thing to get sorted out sooner rather than later, and to please take advantage of a health clinic or Planned Parenthood (they can provide sliding-scale care for pregnancies!) if you need to.
  • Loading the player...
  • You're 12 weeks and you haven't seen a doctor yet?! Please seek prenatal care. There is a point at which hpt's don't work anymore because your placenta takes over hormone production from the yoke sack (which had been producing hcg) but if you've never confirmed your pregnancy with an hpt, blood test or ultrasound you are not pregnant, just experiencing a very long cycle.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited November 2018
    What everyone else said. Call and make an appointment. That said, if you tested around the time of your missed period (so anywhere from 4-6 weeks along), the odds are incredibly slim that you are pregnant without turning a test.

If you are pregnant, there's no reason to be concerned about flying at this stage. I've flown at 6 weeks and 18 weeks. And really, the only reason most airlines restrict it in late pregnancy is because they don't want you going into labor in mid-air. It's not an issue of potential harm to the baby or you (outside of the risks associated with delivering in mid-air without medical professionals around.)

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-answers/air-travel-during-pregnancy/faq-20058087
  • I never said I did not see a doctor. I have. All she's said is it could be too early to tell. Nevermind. Deleting post. Smh. I was asking who else was far along and still wasn't getting a positive test when they were. Not for advice on seeing a dr. Did anyone actually read my post? 
  • I have read your post. No doctors would say it’s too early to tell after 5 weeks. Since a hpt doesn’t turn after so many weeks, it’s pointless to keep trying and waiting. Therefore, the only advice we can give is to go to the doctor. The answer if anyone has been pregnant over 12 weeks and not had  a positive test by hpt or a doctor is no. So stop waiting for someone to say the answer you want. Go to the doctor.
  • meggymemeggyme member
    edited November 2018
    It's weird, I'm est 12 weeks and I still haven't had a positive test. I've been keeping track from my period app that switches over to pregnancy mode. I've had the symptoms. Implantation. I skipped my period. Etc. My linea nigra is faintly showing from the pubic to my belly button, and the last few days wearing a bra just hurts. I've read that some mama's didn't read positive until even 20 and 23 weeks. The last time I took a test was last Friday. It was a hpt from the dollar store, but still. It just seems crazy to me that I'm this far along without a + sign. So anyone else 12+ weeks pregnant with no positive tests? 

I'm supposed to fly out of state the week after Thanksgiving (I'll be 15 weeks, and 16 weeks flying back home). I'm scared if that's a bad idea or not without having read positive. 
    I never said I did not see a doctor. I have. All she's said is it could be too early to tell. Nevermind. Deleting post. Smh. I was asking who else was far along and still wasn't getting a positive test when they were. Not for advice on seeing a dr. Did anyone actually read my post? 
    QFP

At 12 weeks you should be able to see something on an ultrasound or even hear a heart beat with a Doppler. I assumed you hadn’t seen a doctor yet since most 12 week pregnant women will have had 2 appointments confirming the health of their pregnancy. Did they confirm your pregnancy at the doctor’s with blood work, urine sample or ultrasound?

If you are pregnant and as far along as you think it could be the Hook effect, like I said in my previous post. Did you actually read any of these posts?
  • No one here is going to give you the answer you want. I’m sorry. It is NOT too soon to tell. 
  • At 12 weeks women have enough of baby's DNA in their blood to determine their sex and whether or not they have certain chromosomal disorders. At 12 weeks the fetus is large enough to do ultrasounds for Down Syndrome Markers. At best, you are pregnant and your doctor is not providing you proper prenatal care. At worst, you are not pregnant and they are dismissing your medical issues without doing proper testing to determine what is actually wrong. Actually, I don't know which would be worse but regardless you need a second opinion by a better doctor.
  • @holisticmamaxo Please understand, these posters are not trying to dunk on you or bully you. We’re legitimately concerned about your health.

With the symptoms and timeline you’ve given, you should be able to either confirm the pregnancy or investigate why you aren’t getting a period but feeling the way you are. You can turn a blood or urine test when you have symptoms, especially if weeks of symptoms have passed. If a blood test comes back negative you are not pregnant. There are rare false negatives with blood tests (another hook effect), but you don’t want what causes them.
  • edited November 2018
    I'm 11 weeks pregnant with twins and recently had an ER visit where they did some blood draws and one of them was HCG. My levels were 97,000. Granted I have twins so my number is probably higher than usual but I betcha if I peed on a stick only the test line would show and the control would be blank. I had scans done, too, and the babies are pretty much fully formed and look like tiny humans (rather than blurry dots). I suggest you get a blood draw to make you feel better.
    And I don't know in what universe you wouldn't know you were pregnant until you were 20 weeks along... that's when they do the full anatomy scan and can see the details of the baby's heart. Plus you'd be showing pretty well by then. It just doesn't make any sense. I know my mom told me she didn't know she was pregnant until she was 3-4 months along because HPTs didn't exist and blood draws didn't work until 12-14 weeks. But it's 2018, not 1982. Your doctor can do a blood test that will tell you exactly how much HCG is in your body. If it's less than 5, you are not pregnant. And that's your final answer. After that, please get evaluated as others suggested.
  • @wishiwaspreggo first, congrats on twins! I didn't know!!!
    Off topic: I have a friend that didn't know she was pregnant until she was 4 months along, but it was also a mirena failure pregnancy so she wasn't really expecting a period or to be capable of getting pregnant so she hadn't been taking hpt's.
  • What everyone else said is true. 

I know you want specific answers from women who've experienced this, but the reason you're not getting that is because no one here has! I won't say your experience could never happen and that you are pregnant, but it would be incredibly, incredibly rare. 

Frankly, even if someone or 5 someones come on here and say they've experienced the same thing you have and were pregnant and had a healthy baby, that doesn't change what's happening to you and what's going on or not going on in your uterus. Only your own medical people can help with that. 

Please get a second opinion. You could also just go to one of those boutique ultrasound places and ask for one, too. 
  • @jrm_14 I've been so tempted to post that gif, but I was afraid OP would take it seriously.
  • You think you’re 12 weeks pregnant but you’ve never turned a test? OP, that’s not how it works. I think you need to face the reality that you are not pregnant right now and call your doctor. 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker