February 2019 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes-November

Re: Gestational Diabetes-November

• Options
    I start having growth scans next week. Officially switch to OB next visit. Having the high risk label is lame but I guess at least Ivy and I are being well looked after. 
  • Options
    I really I really hope I won’t be joining you but I failed my one hour GD and now am being made to do the 3 hour. I have to ask what is your daily diet like I was looking it up and it seems like just meat and vegetables 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is a lot of meat and vegetables but you actually have to have some carbs so there’s also some whole grains. It’s a lot of testing to see what your body can handle. I can do cereal and some potatoes but a couple of spoonfuls of rice spike my sugars.
  • Options
    It definitely depends. I can have pretty much whatever I want for breakfast and lunch but have to limit the carbs at dinner. This is my third time and it’s something that changes month to month...
  • Options
    Apparently Salma Hayek had GD. I’ll have to let H know the degree of separation has shrunk. 😂😂
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with GD last week. My numbers have been all over the place. Midwife is giving me 1 more week to get diet controlled or I have to be put on meds :(
  • Options
    @misstrixx Sometimes you could be eating all the right things and still need meds to get the sugars down. Don't get discouraged, although I understand how frustrating it can be. 
  • Options
    I had my GTT test this morning and failed. I'm doing the three hour test on Wednesday. She said it was borderline so high they'd skip the three hour but my OB wants me to anyway. Sooo.. more than likely I'll be here again. I had it with my first so I'm not too shocked.
  • Options
    @Katamca Sorry to hear.  It sucks, I had it with my DD as well and I wasn't surprised when I failed mine but I did hold on to a bit of hope that I wouldn't have it this time around.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that you pass the three hour test. 
  • Options
    True for me! As suspected, I officially go here now. 
  • Options
    Welcome officially @katamca. Had it before you said? I was diagnosed fairly early so I’m 100% used to it now. Those first weeks after diagnosis can be rough. 
  • Options
    @madreofdragons yeah I had it with my DD. I was diet controlled that time, so we’ll see if I can stay that way this time or not. I got in a pretty good routine then, but it has been 5 years. I’m hoping I can just kind of pick back up. I knew what worked for me for the most part, hopefully they hold true. I already bought my string cheese lol. I had that at ever single snack.
  • Options
    I’m on a string cheese strike this week. Lol. Diet I’m good. Fasting is a douche. It was under control for a few weeks now I’ve got to up it again. 
  • Options
    I’m on a string cheese strike this week. Lol. Diet I’m good. Fasting is a douche. It was under control for a few weeks now I’ve got to up it again. 
    What are you having for your night snack? I need ideas again too!
  • Options
    I legit LOL here.  Once this baby comes out peanut butter, cheese and eggs are going to be the last things on my list of foods to eat. 
  • Options
    Also my fasting keeps getting on target and then BAM back out of target.  Today I was on target again.  Let's hope it sticks.  My snacks depend on my mood but often I have English muffin with peanut butter or cheese and crackers.  I learnt I can't have fruit as my evening snack since it drives my fasting sugars up. 
  • Options
    I actually have better luck the next morning with something pretty carby right before bed and that is just fine by me. Lazy me will do a protein shake a lot of nights too. 
  • Options
    I actually have better luck the next morning with something pretty carby right before bed and that is just fine by me. Lazy me will do a protein shake a lot of nights too. 
    Protein shake is a good idea, I've not yet tried that.  Maybe I should.  I get lazy sometimes and eat a carby snack and just eat 2 tbsp of peanut butter to off set.  FFTC I actually did this at Halloween.  Halloween candy with a few spoonfuls of peanut butter is definitely the snack of champions! 
  • Options
    I definitely did that. I found the Walmart knockoff of Premier protein shakes and those have been my go to. 30g of protein. I can actually get away with a little candy by itself. I’ve had a couple of things and check every hour or less for a few hours without a spike. Half a cup of rice though? No sir. 
  • Options
    I have another question because I can't remember from last time. Do you guys test 2 hours from the beginning of the meal, or 2 hours from the end? I'm sort of a slow eater, so for a meal that takes me 30 minutes or maybe even longer (especially at work and I get interrupted - I usually eat at my desk) I know that can sometimes make a difference.
  • Options
    From the beginning.
  • Options
    Just got the call that I failed my 3-hr and go here now. Didn’t have gd with DD, and am feeling pretty bummed.
  • Options
    Same for me @wrensnest. I didn’t with DD and seriously lived on pierogi. Carb wrapped in carb. It takes a few weeks to get used to. I don’t really have to think about it anymore. Don’t beat yourself up, but I definitely get the feeling bummed at first. 
  • Options
    Thanks @madreofdragons, I’m mostly feeling bummed because in the three days leading up to 3-hr they had me on a low carb diet and I felt HORRIBLE. Seriously, nauseous, dizzy, exhausted, awful. How do y’all combat that?
  • Options
    You just get the right balance of carbs to protein. Honestly I feel pretty good aside from normal pregnancy stuff. I think it took a few weeks though. High blood sugar can make you feel that way too. 
  • Options
    @wrensnest Honestly, try not to think of it as a low carb diet. Take a couple of days of trial and error and see what works for you. Last time, I could eat chicken wings and fries together with ranch and had amazing numbers while one piece of bread would give me high numbers. I could have a slice of pizza with a large salad and be fine. Or a cup of cooked pasta with meat sauce and a salad. As @madreofdragons said, it’s really about pairing your carbs with enough protein to help it be processed correctly. You still need your carbs, so don’t think of limiting them too much!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Protien Plus pasta is my savioir these days. I haven’t had a bad reading making a pasta dish with that yet. 
  • Options
    @madreofdragons WHAT?? I didn't know this existed!!
  • Options
    It’s the shit @katamca
  • Options
    It’s the shit @katamca
    Picking some up tonight!
  • Options
    @katamca Thanks for the advice, that makes me feel a bit better!
  • Options
    I can eat chicken wings allllllll day if I wanted to. You also will find the time of day that you can get away with more carbs in a meal. For me it’s breakfast and lunch. Others it’s dinner. I ate a meat and cheese omelette and hashbrowns at a diner earlier this week with no issue. Had I done that at dinner it wouldn’t have been a different story.
  • Options
    So tonight I made small meatballs, protien plus penne and baked with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. My body is picky AF at dinner and then I’ve done well with this before. The insulin resistance peak is around the corner so we’ll see how it goes. 
  • Options
    So tonight I made small meatballs, protien plus penne and baked with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. My body is picky AF at dinner and then I’ve done well with this before. The insulin resistance peak is around the corner so we’ll see how it goes. 
    Good luck!

Tonight was my moms birthday dinner and we went to Cracker Barrel.. not the most GD friendly restaurant there is. Stayed away from the biscuits and cornbread. I had a hamburger steak, broccoli, a baked potato and a tiny sliver of her birthday cake and 2 hours later I had a 99 reading. Sooo yay! 
  • Options
    I had a big fat Carl’s Jr. burger today then took my old fart dog on a slow walk. Did the trick. 105. I can’t do the lettuce wrapped. Gotta have a burger once in a blue moon. 
  • Options
    So how low is too low? I had a cup of popcorn and a string cheese as my bedtime snack, slept normal amount of time and my fasting was at 72. I was going to breakfast with a friend this morning a little later so I decided to switch my morning snack and breakfast since the fasting was a little low. I had about 20 grapes and a string cheese. I went to breakfast had an egg, bacon and hashbrown casserole. 2 hours later my number is 70. 
  • Options
    Depends on how you feel. A lot of docs say 60 is too low but a 70 would make me feel like garbage. Are you on insulin? 
  • Options
    @madreofdragons no I’m not on any medication and I felt fine. I had something right away to bring it up and a bit more carbs at lunch. I’m due to test in about half an hour so we’ll see.
  • Options
    Guess it depends on your meter too. I have the notoriously high reading One Touch Ultra so who knows. My lowest read was 65 and I was in full heart racing, pouring sweat, shaking and confused hypoglycemia. Who knows what it really was.