February 2019 Moms

Makena auto injector

I am 24 weeks pregnant and I started the Makena auto injector at 16 weeks. The first few weeks of the injections went just fine but since then I’ve been having gradually worse and worse injection site reactions. SUPER itchy, sore, hot to the touch and a knot which Is about 3 inches wide. I’ve tried icing and heating and nothing helps. I read that someone had their injections “warmed up” before administering and it was better. Anyone heard of this or have other suggestions? Thank you!

Re: Makena auto injector

• Definitely run it by your OB, you may be reacting to the carrier oil and in that case it’s an easy switch at the pharmacy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't warm the auto injector (specially considering its in-cased in plastic that you have no idea if the materials can stand being warmed without leeching into your medication) you CAN warm the intramuscular shots.  Developing cysts, burning sensation, itchy and redness in the area is pretty common to both injection types.  I have never experienced it be "warm to the touch" touch that that sounds more cause for concern then it being a typical injection reaction I would surly hope you brought this up to your OB. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS