April 2019 Moms
Options

UO 11/1

13»

Re: UO 11/1

• Options
    I’m just gonna throw in my UO and say that I hate chili, period. So I don’t care what kind of sandwich goes with it. 😂
  • Options
    @sheknows6 I like 1-2 cans of fire-roasted diced tomatos and have never done Rotel, but that’s basically the same as what I do. I also tend to use the spices from my cabinet rather than a pre-mixed package of chili seasoning, but that’s more because I have an obscene amount of cumin and am trying to use it up.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    u/o, turns out vegetarian chili w/mushrooms and roasted cashews might be the only kind of chili that I want to eat. 

My mom made a killer beef chili last time she visited, but I tried to replicate it later with beef, lamb, and venison and didn't have much luck. My dad's vegetarian is still my favorite. 
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    Also, I can't understand not liking chili. Like, what about white bean chicken chili with fresh poblanos and tomatillos? I feel like there are infinite chili variations.
  • Options
    @sheepshepherdess I grew up not even eating black pepper(cause my mom is allergic). So it’s all very spicy to me, which I’m not a fan of. I don’t even eat mild salsa. I also hate cilantro and don’t really care for bell peppers. And I eat more variety then anyone is my family. DH loves spicy. We are a complicated pair. I can handle Mexican food if I make it usually. I am the person Americanized versions are made for, like the non spicy or very mild curry is delish to me but no I know will even eat curry let alone the non spicy version. I wish I could handle more spice because a lot of recipes I find don’t work for me without major customization. I eat spicer things now then I used to but it’s a slow process of acclimation. (The chili cheese dip I eat is chili mixed with cream cheese so it tones down the flavor) 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @thatbaintforbetty Wow, I don't even think of chili as spicy! I don't like spicy foods, but am a bit of a foodie so still try to make dishes I think are interesting. Curries are definitely things that I love but can't tolerate heat in, which is hard to prepare because most of the flavor comes from the spicy spices. There are ways to get around it sometimes.

I'll agree that cilantro is gross, though. Sometimes I add it just to have that special soap flavor in my dishes!

On a semi-unrelated note, we have a friend who is a chef and farmers and loves spice, a little too much. One year after Thanksgiving she made and served a turkey soup that was so hot we were crying, snotting, and red faced over our bowls. We finished it, but that really turned me off spicy again!
  • Options
    @thatbaintforbetty @sheepshepherdess Man, I am the opposite I live for spice and heat and it's only gotten worse with pregnancy. Lately I have been pouring hot sauce into a shot glass and sipping on it.
  • Options
    I have some Carolina reapers that my FIL grew frozen so I can add those to my chili haha. I LOVE SPICE. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I LOVE cilantro! My husband hates it though. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    booksandlacebooksandlace member
    edited November 2018
    Late to this party but I hate businesses that are open on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also hate black Friday and refuse to shop that day, I only shop online

I worked at a grocery store for 12 years in a Union, they used to close early on Thanksgiving but as time went by that time kept getting later and later until it was just open all day. My husband is a manager for the same chain and has no option but to work all the holidays. We've never been able to celebrate a holiday with our daughter as a family
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    +1 to hating chili and Thanksgiving food. Turkey is dry, period. 

My UO is that Easter is my favorite holiday. Ham + getting to shamelessly gorge on your ACTUAL favorite foods/drinks if you gave them up for Lent. Also, no obligation (in my circles) to kill yourself traveling or dealing with family. 

I love the Advent/Christmas season, but find Christmas Day a letdown after Mass and presents, and dislike having to spend 2 weeks' vacation time travelling to accommodate our families. Too much stress and expense, especially since DD. 

I've never had to work holidays, but really feel for people who do. DH is very sweet
    and started us on carrying candy/small gifts for people we encounter working on holidays (like toll booth operators, etc.)
  • Options
    I am also late to this party but thought I would throw my 2 cents in..

H is a firefighter and has been at the same department for over 5 years. They work 24 on 48 off, and if his shift falls on a Holiday then he has to work it. There are only 3 vacation positions per shift and about 50 people ahead of him on picking those vacation days. We have spent many holidays away from each other and to put it mildly, it freaking sucks. He missed DSs first Thanksgiving and his first trick or treating experience this year. While yes, he is required to work and obviously he is needed to serve the public.. it does't make it suck any less for all of us for him to miss out on important holidays or special occasions. 
  • Options
    Another vote for not a fan of chili.  I don’t hate it but it’s never been at the top of my list to eat/make.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic