February 2019 Moms

Re: U/O Thursday 11/1

• I don’t know if this is an U/O or FFFC but I LOVE Hallmark Christmas movies and am super excited to start watching them! Since we don’t have cable we are going to pay to stream them just for a couple months so we don’t miss out! 
  • UO: I love dry white and red wine, and I enjoy bourbon. But I don't think beer tastes that good. Wheat beer is sometimes tolerable.
  • Loading the player...
  • @allthingsgo I also enjoy Hallmark Christmas movies. They're great to watch when you don't want to have to be super emotionally invested in something.
  • @hannahbananas11 also love dry wine and (onviously) bourbon. Sweet wines make me gag - I don’t understand how anyone old enough to buy wine legally enjoys sweet wine. 
  • Cantelope is terrible. 

I prefer scotch to anything. 

I love made for tv holiday movies as does DH. We look for the most awesomely terrible ones every year. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Definitely dry wines. Does anyone actually prefer sweet wines? Scotch over bourbon any day though!

My UO: I love American cheese. It makes everything better. I know it's not real cheese, and pretty much just plastic, and if you like good things you're supposed to hate it, but nah. It's amazing.
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • @grebretso My best friend and old roommate LOVES sweet wine. Basically if it tastes like juice, she's all over it. I think she just likes to drink it fast, so the sweeter the better to her.
    I also like American cheese. Nothing matches it for a good ol' grilled cheese sandwich. And also, I found some organic American cheese recently, which basically means it's artisan AF pretty much.
  • Mmm love cantaloupe. So many people don’t like it, but it’s so good and juicy. I’m more of a veggie person than fruit - I haaate pineapple and peaches and basically anything tropical. I can handle the basics - apples, bananas, grapes (although not while pregnant - most fruits are too acidic and make me sick). 
  • @allthingsgo- I didn't know everyone wasn't like me and just watching Love Actually over and over all season, until of course Xmas eve, when I feel compelled somehow to always watch It's A Wonderful Life.
  • @hannahbananas11 100% with you on the dry wines, bourbon/scotch and beer - can't drink beer
  • @hannahbananas11 @eggsandwich2019 count me in for Team Unbeerable.  I've tried to like beer, all different kinds of beer, and it just doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather have a wine or cider.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @sjnsjnsjn I LOVE the movie Love Actually! Another holiday favorite. I’ve watched The Muppets’ Christmas Carol every Christmas Eve since I was a kid so that is what I’ll be doing this year. I hope to make it my family’s tradition. 
  • I like beer, I like some wine (mostly just ignorance on my behalf, I've found what I like and drink that - reds our liquor store describes as 'full-bodied and smooth'), can't pronounce myself on scotch or bourbon but wish I could. I HATE cider. 18th birthday is to thank for that. I have a very bad track record with alcoholic beverages that are fizzy. 

Love Actually is a great movie! Christmas time is the one time where I find time for cheesy movies, shamelessly. 

• @allthingsgo do people dislike Love Actually?! I have seen it no less than 20 times and love it each time. 
  • I really want to go home and watch Christmas movies now!! Sorry guys, I am not into the hallmark-esque ones though.
    Also a fan of dry wines, sweet wines are so my early 20s.
  • edited November 2018
    @megpants209 I like Love, Actually, but I also enjoy the critical articles about it. This one from the Atlantic has some good points that I hadn't thought about before. This one from Jezebel is just downright hilarious. 
    ETA: From the Jezebel article that has me crying: "Liam Neeson and Jojen Reed relax and watch Titanic to regroup, because that's something middle aged men and little kids do together." :lol::lol::lol:
  • @hannahbananas11 that Jezebel one on Love Actually is a CLASSIC. I feel that I can both enjoy the movie and enjoy takedowns of the movie. Lindy West always makes me cry from laughter, I love her. 
  • I tried to watch Love Actually last year and couldn’t get into it. I’m a terrible movie watcher (not good at paying attention) so maybe that has something to do with it. But I don’t care to try to watch it again. I’ve also never seen hocus Pocus. 
  • edited November 2018
    @eggsandwich2019 Agreed. Another case in point: I love the Keira Knightly Pride and Prejudice (hey! another UO to add!), and I had a great time reading Drunk Austen's play-by-play of it that she wrote last year. So hilarious.
  • @hannahbananas11- omg totally. Yeah that's normal... 😳
    And if you watch Walking Dead, seeing Rick Grimes now as he was then in Love Actually as the hopelessly-in-love-with-Keira guy is suuuper weird.
  • @sjnsjnsjn oh my goodness I know! I just can’t reconcile Rick and his character in Love Actually. Does. Not. Compute. 

@megpants209 I know right?! I have shown a few people it and some love it and others are meh about it (including DH). I do not get how you can’t love that that movie but apparently it’s possible lol. Now I need to watch it! 
  • jessier19jessier19 member
    edited November 2018
    I was obsessed with Love Actually when it came out, I watched it over and over and over again. But it hasn’t aged well for me. I still think the Bill Nighy plot line is basically the best thing ever, and I would follow Emma Thompson to the ends of the earth, but the Keira Knightley and Colin Firth plotlines just make me want to scream.

My all time favorite romcom is About Time. (Bill Nighy for the win!)
  • I do love Love Actually but agree, @jessier19 , that it didn’t necessarily age well.  Everyone is constantly making fun of Hugh Grant’s love interest’s weight and Colin Firth’s plotline is bizarre to me.  Still watch it though!  I also always have to watch Christmas Vacation and Little Women each year.

Booze wise I love Mezcal, Tequila, and Scotch. Can’t do Vodka or sweet wine.  My in ILs only drink extremely sweet wine.  DH and I once sheepishly purchase a sweet wine called Jam Jar to bring to their house for dinner and they didn’t like it because it was too dry.
  • jessier19jessier19 member
    edited November 2018
    I love all booze, all of it. Give it to me. 

But the dry stuff tastes better. 
  • I’ve somehow ended up at a bar every weekend lately and I’m getting pretty sick of root beer. I’d probably be ok with sweet wine at this point!
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • I want a martini. Gin. With a twist. 

• I miss manhattans soooo much.  My heart aches for them.
  • I am one of the few that wasn’t in love with Love Actually.

I miss all of the bold red wine and mojitos. 
  • My husband asks me to make him an old fashioned when he gets home from work and I always inhale it longingly. It’s torture. 
  • sjnsjnsjnsjnsjnsjn member
    edited November 2018
    @BourbonBiscuits- Is he TRYING to torture you?!??
  • @sjnsjnsjn RIGHT?! He always feels kind of guilty asking but I do make better old fashioneds than he does (even though he’s literally employed as a bartender). When I’m not pregnant we always have old fashioneds (or he has one and I have a glass of wine) after we do bedtime when we’re both home at night. So it feels extra sad since it’s our little routine/tradition. 
  • @BourbonBiscuits- Man, you are a really kind person... 
  • Lord I miss bourbon....
  • @BourbonBiscuits that is torture!

H and I used to share a six pack every Friday night. After I got pregnant he stopped buying beer because he said he was getting a gut. He's not much of a drinker anyway, but I think he just felt awkward drinking alone. :p
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • @BourbonBiscuits that IS torture, DH has been tactfully avoiding delicious cocktails and sticking to beer - though we go to a wine bar in town regularly and I’m getting sick of pelligrino...