May 2019 Moms

NICU Success Stories? *Possible TW*

2»

Re: NICU Success Stories? *Possible TW*

• @expandcontract, that SUCKS about your asthma...I can't believe how out of control it is despite all of those meds! Just bad luck of the draw this time around, I guess.

I can't speak from a patient standpoint on the NICU. But, from a medical standpoint, based on my 3.5 months of NICU rotations as a Peds resident, babies born at 34 weeks and above generally do EXTREMELY well with little complication (honestly, babies above 28ish weeks do well, if they are at a high level center of care and don't develop infectious complications of prematurity). I anticipate all of the steroids that you are receiving and intrauterine "stress" will actually be helpful for the baby's lung development later on, making respiratory complications related to prematurity unlikely. And, the closer the baby gets to full term, the less likely their risk of any infectious complications that would prolong their course. Certainly, there are no guarantees, but statistics are on your side if you get to 32 weeks or above! Even 28 weeks with a benign NICU course should do really well!
  • @gabadoo thank you for the insight!! 

• Loading the player...
  • @lyse01 You've been incredibly helpful! Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart! Im so sorry your experience was this way but I'm so happy to know that your daughter is doing well!
    Knowing ahead of time the possibility of NICU is the one thing Im most grateful for.  Listening to everyone's stories truly has helped me prepare.  
    The advice you've given especially about reading the books is invaluable. I will check some out from the library.  Thank you again so much! ❤❤❤❤

• Bumping 

@melbee81 check out @lyse01’s response. Such good info! 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• More good stuff on p 1 of March’s thread: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12737757/bedrest-hospital-stay-nicu-thread#latest

I snooped a little on the High Risk thread and I’m so sorry @melbee81 that this is going on. I’m part of a lot of fb groups where 23 weekers are a happy, healthy thing and I hope you can keep the wee one in as long as possible! Please feel free to PM if you need me.