Postpartum Depression

26 weeks with insomnia, need some help/ advice!

OK everyone, I really need some input. I have had insomnia for about a month now with a few nights here and there of good sleep. Last Friday (1+ wks ago) I had what I can only describe as a panic attack. I stayed up all night and was able to rest on the couch a bit. The next night I woke up with a lot of fear again and just left the room. The next two nights I took Unisom which somewhat helped but still I was up and down. I have no history of anxiety or insomnia in the past.

So...here's what I have done: moved rooms (I have to have the windows and doors open now), sleeping with lots of pillows, getting counseling, acupuncture, practicing mindfulness and meditation, warm bath in evening, exercise. Now, I feel like I just lay down and I am relaxed for the most part, just cannot get in to a deep sleep, up every hour, not sure if I am even sleeping. However, I am pretty functional during the day.

So, any tips or suggestions? I feel like I am going to lose it if this continues! Also wanting to hear from others with a similar experience that it will get better!!! Please help!!

Re: 26 weeks with insomnia, need some help/ advice!

• Hi There! 26 weeks? You poor thing! 

I can relate! I had pretty severe insomnia and anxiety starting when my son was 5 weeks old. It came out of nowhere.

My advice to you would be to talk to your doctor. It could be PPD/PPA and there are medications that can help you. 

I was put on a light medication (not anything like ambien as I still needed to take care of my family) and it really has helped. I am still on it now but will go off of it in a few months as I am only 3 months PP and we want to make sure I am out of the woods.

If you have any other questions for me I am here!