March 2019 Moms

Last name dilemma

I’ve been thinking a lot about the last name I will be giving my child and I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions. My boyfriend and I agreed on Harper for her first name but since we aren’t married, I’m really thinking of giving her my last name. The goal is for us to eventually get married but that’s not our priority right now. I’m really against changing her name because everyone is calling her that now and I already have things for her that has her name on it but some people are saying that it doesn’t flow with his last name. I personally don’t think that Harper Hartman sounds that bad. Any thoughts? 

Re: Last name dilemma

• Is she going to have a middle name? Because that will break up the alliteration sound. I wouldn’t worry about people already calling her that. I told ppl my tentative name but I’m changing my mind so I just have given her a nickname based off her middle name. I also know a girl who had a baby and she changed her name like a few weeks after she was born. It’s all what sounds best to you and what you love. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I really love the name Harper so I’m not really up to changing it and her dad doesn’t hate it lol. Picking a name wasn’t the easiest thing to do. Her middle name is going to be Rose. 
  • She can always change her last name later if she wants to. It’s your decision, if you want her to have your name, do it!!!  You said the goal is to be married, but things change... coming from someone who’s been down the marriage road more than once.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• You can give her whichever name you want. Since you asked for thoughts, personally, I agree with whoever has told you they don't think it flows well. I don't love the double Har Har sound or any name that has the same first syllable. And a middle name won't do much because those aren't used much in real life other than on forms. 

Personally, before picking a first name I really love, I always say it with my last name to make sure it works.