April 2019 Moms

UO 10/18

Happy Thursday ladies.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: UO 10/18

• People who dress their kids in expensive clothes are ridiculous. 
  • Loading the player...
  • mrstmoose said:
    People who dress their kids in expensive clothes are ridiculous. 
    Can you specify? By and large we are an economy clothing household, but there are definitely times my kids have more expensive duds on. I can get behind the sentiment for general use, though.

Mine? Fruit in (lettuce, spinach, etc.) salad is nasty. No thanks.

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• mrstmoose said:
    People who dress their kids in expensive clothes are ridiculous. 
    Can you specify? By and large we are an economy clothing household, but there are definitely times my kids have more expensive duds on. I can get behind the sentiment for general use, though.

Mine? Fruit in (lettuce, spinach, etc.) salad is nasty. No thanks.
    I know a girl (under 4) who has two of these: https://shop.misha-and-puff.com/collections/child/products/popcorn-sweater-3?variant=8215798579251&oi=0 

$148 for a kid's sweater (or heck, an adult sweater at that price) is ridiculous. 
  • @MRDCle Oh yeah...HA Never would that happen in my house. Newp.

DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    EDD-4/2019

• I can't form an original thought so I'll just react to the above UOs.

@mariposa_767s I feel that way about the first trimester, but then I did kind of enjoy the rest last time once I was feeling better.  I also don't think your opinion is that unpopular, I just think lots of moms feel guilty saying that.

@mrstmoose I mostly agree, but I sometimes think it's nice to give/get nice pieces as a gift, or buy nicer items for special events.

@BarefootContessa that is definitely an unpopular opinion but I agree!  I really don't like fruit in salad - it just doesn't taste like it belongs there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @BarefootContessa for the most part, I mean general daily clothes. 

@Piccola1988 my MIL buys DD expensive clothes and she barely wears them. Because most 2 year olds aren't going to wear something that is uncomfortable. I'd rather her buy a dress from Old Navy/Gap then spend $50+ on a dress that DD will maybe wear once, if I can get it on her. *shrug*
  • @mrstmoose some of those boutique clothes are CUTE!  But I can't spend that much on an outfit.  I'm far too thrifty for all that mess

@BarefootContessa Fruit in salad is delicious!  I used to not think so though haha.  It has to be done right.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @mrstmoose Totally get it. And to me.... I think some Gap/Jcrew stuff is about the highest I go with "expensive". I guess it's all relative. SIL bought the kids Patagonia jackets last year and I was a little put out. They'll grow so fast it seems ridiculous to have something that pricey for one season.

DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    EDD-4/2019

• I do buy expensive outerwear bc we are outdoors in all weather and the cheaper stuff just wasn't holding up. I also freaking love Boden & Hanna Andersson clothes for DD butttt I shop the sales or buy them secondhand.

Fruit in salad is the bee's knees 

My UO is that I think "gender reveal" parties are ridiculous and annoying.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • edited October 2018
    @BarefootContessa I love fruit in salads! I do blueberries and pomegranate seeds with blue cheese, kale, and pecans as my go to for lunch.

My UO is that I do not see the point/purpose of Babymoons. This is my fourth baby, so it’s not my first rodeo, but when I go on vacation with my husband we love to share a bottle of wine and go on long (10 miles or so) runs together and I like to lie in the sun and bake in my bikini. All of these are impossible or far less fun when pregnant. Plus, when pregnant I go to bed at like 8:30pm every night. It’s not like I’m anti-vacation, I love to travel. I just would save visiting a destination until after pregnancy when all those things are fun again. When pregnant we just bring the kids.
  • I agree with the ridiculously priced everyday clothes for kids is pointless. They grow way to fast and usually have no regard for keeping them decent. 

Also I feel like my salads aren’t complete without some fruit, it adds a different/extra flavor and texture. 2 things I think salads need. 

Except Caesar. Fruit in that would be weirdness. 

Also im 100% with you @wildcosmiclove I absolutely do not see the point. I don’t really think anyone cares about the sex of your baby as much as you do, so it feels super fake/forced. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • I’ll spend money on kids clothes if they’re ethically made. Most of my son’s stuff comes from target because realistically kids need a ton of clothes and that’s mostly what I can afford. But I’ll splurge on Hannah Andersson, Patagonia, and Winter Water Factory now and then and for select items. I’m a big fan of clothes that are sturdy enough to be passed down from kid, and an even bigger fan of things that weren’t made in a sweat shop. 
  • I definitely agree that $150 bucks for one item of clothing (especially for a kid who will outgrow it in a few months/year) is ridiculous.  I won't spend that much money on myself either!  That being said, I do have "expensive," taste in clothes, in that if I've been handed down higher quality clothes, I'm more likely to put those on my kid than the Wal-Mart brand stuff.  I never buy expensive stuff myself, but I do have a few Columbia and such hand me down coats for DS which are nice.

Also, it took me a long time to accept fruit in salads, but I like it now.  Especially strawberries or pear slices in a spring mix salad with a berry vinaigrette dressing.  Mmm.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I will admit DS had a super cute Burberry outfit....but my Dad(yes my dad!) got it at a garage sale for $20. But I looked it up on their website and it’s like a $300 outfit. In reference my parents live in a super upper class community
    I consider Gap, JCrew and Tea Collection to be my fancy baby clothes lol. Otherwise it’s Old Navy and Target and TJ Maxx

@mariposa_767s I don’t enjoy pregnancy either. It’s my third and I’m already dreading the third trimester 
  • I hate running. I really, REALLY hate running. I’d pay money to NOT run if I had to. I don’t like the way it makes my feet feel, or how out of breath I feel, and how my boobs and thighs chafe. Just a big ole NOPE. 
    Trail walks, on the other hand? I’m all in. 
  • @lilpotatomama, I feel you on the thighs chafing.  I've also noticed since my boobs are getting bigger that that *also* contributes to my shortness of breath while trying to run.  My sympathies go out to all women with anything bigger than a C cup (I'm afraid I'm getting close to a D already, agh!).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @professormama I agree with most of your sentiment, but I wouldn't call myself anti-punishment.  I think kids should learn from a young age that their actions have consequences, so "punishment" might be more restorative to me - if you throw a temper tantrum and rip all the clothes out of your dresser in the process, you're responsible for putting those clothes back, for example.  I think time-out will have a place in our house, but more of a "still your body and mind for a second" reaction than a real PUNISHMENT.  But my daughter is still very little, so all of this is theoretical!

My UO: I disagree with all permanent forms of birth control that aren't done for medical reasons.  I know that's easy for me to say as someone who's had minimal side effects from hormonal birth control.  In part, I myself can never imagine being able to definitively say "We're done" and close the door on more biological children (even though I'm very pro-adoption and would love to add to our family that way in the future).  The other, bigger part is that it just seems like such a permanent choice that seems, to me, to neglect how very unpredictable life could be.  My husband and I could think we're done having kids, he could get a vasectomy, and I could die in some tragic accident a month later.  And then what if he fell in love with someone who is wonderful and a great stepmom to our kids, but she desperately wants just one biological child of her own?  Sure, there are sperm donors, etc., and ways she could get what she wants, but my husband would have lost his choice in the matter.  Obviously that's an extreme example , but you just never know what the future holds.
  • @professormama I'm with you 100%. We don't do punishments, or rewards either. DD is almost 6, so still young. I am still human and lose my cool sometimes, but I also wholeheartedly believe in apologizing to my kid when I'm being a jerk and talking about my own mistakes. Kids are people too.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • lyse01lyse01 member
    edited October 2018
    On enjoying pregnancy: love that I get to not worry about looking fat/sucking it in. Love the reminder to listen to my body and focus on healthy habits. Hate the number of dr visits.

on expensive clothes: I’ve bought maybe $75 of clothes for 1.5 yo DD. I love me some hand me downs (and pass them on in quantity!). But I think some of the expensive stuff is really really cute and love when I see it in the hand me downs. I will also be checking out children’s thrift shops eventually when the masses of baby clothes thin out - too soon 😢 for DD.

on fruit in salads: love it, especially when dried or crisp fruit. Craisins add a sweet, textured bite. Apple/pear slices add a crisp coolness that I don’t get from lettuce because UO: iceberg lettuce is the worst vegetable and shouldn’t be used ever. I can even get behind some mandarin orange slices in an Asian-themed salad. I also really value salads that mix a variety of textures and flavors, while DH doesn’t understand why lettuce plus oil&vinegar isn’t enough. 

On running (and spinning): it’s awful and uncomfortable. Also while running, my foot turns numb.

On punishment: futile at this age. And fear of disappointing my parents was always more effective than threats of punishment. I may have to re-evaluate if kids surpass my patient redirection, though.

on b/c: eh, I know people who are very sure they don’t want biological children. Far be it from me to prevent their self-sterilization. I personally don’t think I would have a hysterectomy or tubal ligation even if my family is “complete” but I also want like 4 kids so I could very well be child-bearing to plan into my 40s. And I really don’t like most forms of birth control, for me. Toss up.
  • @ashtuesday I was mostly with you on this until, after 21 years together with no “surprises” we are now expecting our 4th baby at age 40, with a 14, 12, and almost 9 year old. After this my husband is 100% getting a vasectomy lol. 
  • @ashtuesday Since vasectomies are reversible I don’t think you can call them permanent birth control. Many people probably think of them that way though. Also I see your point, I don’t agree with it but I understand what your saying. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Ha, DH is definitely getting a vasectomy. I tried several forms of bc and none of them went well for me, but I tend to be overly sensitive to meds in general. Neither of us want any more surprise babies.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • @professormama I almost did "I hate when people post their kids punishment online" as mind.  I can't say we're 100% anti-punishment, but we tend towards natural consequences vs. something more punitive.  Like @ashtuesday said, we have "time-outs" but it's more "Do you need to go to your room and pull yourself together before you can come out at speak kindly/not hit/etc.?" He's either sitting on the armchair for the rare time out or in his room hanging out on his bed, not nose in the corner or anything. I can't say we do this 100% but I much prefer natural consequences that relate to the undesirable action. 

I especially hate when people make their kids do some sort of physical thing (like running or sit-ups) as punishment. 
  • I hate hummus. Everything about it grosses me out- the smell, texture, taste. I am a vegetarian which makes it an even more uo. At my previous job, my team would buy a huge tub of it for my birthday party every year and I forced it down. Yuck!

Expensive clothing seems so wasteful to me, though I love getting nicer stuff as hand me downs. I, too, will spend more on ethically sourced clothing, though.
  • @midway_mouse
    Blasphemy. Hummus is amazing. I'm also a vegetarian, haha.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Hummus: is amazing

Punishment: I definitely don’t agree with kid shaming on social media. Also every child reacts differently to punishment and it should be age appropriate. DD (5) does well with time outs, aka “taking a break” in our house. She goes to her room until she calms down. DS (2.5) doesn’t understand at his age but we do have calm down time. 

Running: I always wished I enjoyed running because it’s such a good do anywhere or anytime exercise. I just get bored. I’m actually a good “natural runner” and the track coach in HS used to try to recruit me all the time and I told him running circles was boring lol I played soccer instead 

My UO I think baseball is boring and too long to watch on tv. I think it’s just too slow paced for me 
  • My UO: I think steaks are overrated. They’re tasty, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t see the appeal of going out to a nice steakhouse dinner vs a nice restaurant. They’re so expensive and not that hard to do right at home if you splurge on good meat.

Expensive clothing- when my weight is stable, I sometimes splurge on Boden stuff because it’s super well made, but a lot of ‘expensive’ mall brands are almost as cheaply made as ones that cost $50+ less so what’s even the point with those.

@lilpotatomama Ughhh agreed on running. Even when I do it regularly I hate it. I have wide-set hips and I’m convinced it makes the stride less natural, on top of it being mad boring.
  • I LOVE BASEBALL AND WATCHING IT SO MUCH @blueberrymomma.  I get that people can think it's boring but holy cow. It's my favorite easily. 
  • @lin0442 I don't judge adults for splurging on clothes for themselves because they last and you probably aren't gonna play in the mud in them or bust big holes in the knees haha. 

I agree on the steak. DH wanted to go to a steak place the other night and I checked out the menu and talked about ordering something else and he was like, offended that I wouldn't automatically order steak. 
  • A great steak is one of my favorite things to splurge on for special dinners. However most of those aren’t from a “steak house” Those restaurants are usually overrated and overpriced. I love a great steak from a local reaturant(not a chain) especially when they get their stuff locally. But I totally understand people who don’t like steak because my mom almost never eats steak 
  • I don't like to spend money on clothes for me so I definitely don't spend extra on DD clothes.

I also hate being pregnant.I have always struggled with my weight and the first go around I thought it would be easy to lose but 2 years later I still had 7 lbs left to lose. ugh I hate it. 

Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @Bringmemylongswordho i feel like if i can go through 2 (fairly awful) pregnancies, labor and the months of recovery he can handle a 15 min painless out patient procedure that has little to no side effects. 

I actually read an article recently that was from a Mormon woman with 6 kids that gave a very good argument on why all unplanned pregnancies are men’s fault. She ended it with suggesting congress offer all men a free vasectomy as a teenager since it’s easy, mostly painless, reversible and has almost no side effects. Then free or low cost to have it reversed when they wanted to have children. While I didn’t agree with all her points it was really well thought out and had some good reasoning to back it up. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• @lin0442, husband & I preach the same thing about steaks! and we aren't frugal. I guess you could call us bougie, I'm not ashamed. we don't think twice about splurging at a nice restaurant. but after working in a meat market for about 4yrs, I've learned how to pick out a good steak. and husband has nailed the grill. when we want steak, we grill our own (& usually split one super nice cut between the 2 of us.) we rarely spend $ on a steak meal at a restaurant. 

@blueberrymomma, I don't think that's very unpopular :D as much as I love baseball, I don't like watching it on tv, either. I love going to a live game- I love the atmosphere, the stadium food, the beer, the wave, but games can be boring. I actually only tune into the play-offs, and if those games are slow, it's tough to sit thru, no lie. we cut the cable cord a few years ago, and actually, this time of year (baseball play-offs) is the only time I regret not having cable :(

concerning expensive clothes for kids, I mostly agree. I do ogle the online boutiques' Instagram accounts & just dream, though <3 last year for xmas, I bought my nieces matching dresses from primary.com, and my sister has said that those dresses are her favorite thing to put the girls in. 

I don't hesitate to spend $ on a good winter coat for my son every year, though. winters can be pretty unforgiving where we live and my husband & I have said we'll never let him go cold. but @wildcosmiclove, I JUST realized last weekend when I bought his new winter coat for this year that Columbia has this feature on their coats where you can extend the sizes. they have this seam in the sleeve, that you break, and it extends the coat sleeve a few inches! every year when he outgrows his last coat, we just donate it or sell it- I had no idea!! I feel like a fool. 

concerning birth control, I personally am not for hormonal contraceptives. the last time I was on them, I experienced side effects, and while they weren't severe, I just was no longer comfortable compromising my health w/ them. my husband (boyfriend at the time) was 100% on board w/ me giving them up, as he also didn't want me subjecting myself to any kind of side effects. before we even conceived our first, he always promised me that he would get a vasectomy as soon as we were done w/ kids. so now that we are well into this pregnancy, he's already doing the research on the procedure. I'm so grateful to be married to a man committed to do his part to fulfill our family plan. 

my UO: I don't think a small glass of wine or occasional beer during pregnancy is terrible. and yes, I indulge periodically throughout mine. 
  • kaitykinskaitykins member
    edited October 2018
    Salad: spinach and fruits and candied nuts yes. 

Expensive kids clothing: I make clothing and use thrift stores, second hand and handmedowns. A splurge for me is a cat and jack shirt or something. I love north face kids jackets and found one for $1 once. I loved her pategonia jacket that was free, but we just can’t afford that on one income in Northern California. 

Birth control: hormonal/pill I would never. We have a family history of longterm terirble sure effects. For example my mom has had a migraine for 15 yrs and a cousin had terrible pain from one. Anyway, I’m allergic to latex so latex free condoms is it for us. And a spermicide sometimes. 

“Punishment” my college degrees are in special education and elementary education and typically I prefer behavior management techniques and positive behavior plans. But, my two almost 3 year old can understand, calm down during and discuss time outs and consequences.  It almost always results in a happy turn around in attitude and obedience. Now, time outs are a great skill to learn as well, as in, learning when you are overwhelmed or being tempted to harm or disrespect others and taking a step back. That kind of time outs we call “breaks” and she is learning to say “I need a break” and go sit by herself. Or to go calm down and then we can discuss what she was upset about. Granted my toddler has a high vocabulary and great communication skills so most two yr olds I’d probably take aside and repeat the rules or expected behavior a few times and say why. That’s what I did with her at 1. 

My UO : I believe kids need to be allowed to fail, fall and learn their limits with natural consequences... so my child jumps off of things, falls off of swings and runs downhill, I’ve also let her fall in the pool (while I was in the pool), and face plant in sand. Anyway , I’ll cstch and spot if she’s climbing up high but we also have her ask us to spot her on big play sets.

edited because it didn’t post half at first. 
  • ^^ we actually do use “breaks,” but since my son is at a stage where he’s afraid of being alone, I always go with him.  Together we sit on his bed and wait for his body and emotions to calm. Everyone needs time and space to calm down now and then, and I don’t think of that as punishment because it’s giving the child what they actually need to be successful. But one difference (to me) between a break and a time out is that a break is based on the child’s needs - it’s over when the child is ready. And it’s not about cowing the child in go submission. 
  • All of these regarding punishment are how I feel, it's just unfortunately not reality in our house yet :expressionless:.  My husband gets at a loss at how to deal with DS and sometimes swats his bottom, I use timeouts too much when I'm angry, and we both get frustrated and yell too often.  Sigh.  Working towards being better!

@kbirchtree, I agree with letting kids fall/learn on their own.  My kid has been in gymnastics (I'm a coach) since he was 16 months, and while he's definitely not a future Olympian, it's helped teach him body awareness.  He's also learned his limits, for example, it's safe to jump off the six foot high mat in the gym, but not off the six foot high slide onto hard ground.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @batmama31 totally agree on the small amounts of alcohol. I read Expecting Better and it made me feel comfortable having sips here and there.