December 2018 Moms
Options

STM+ Check In 10/11

Hello ladies! I hope you're all having a good week. Let's get this thread started.

Nails:

Fails: 

Questions:

GTKY: What is your favorite holiday?

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
BFP: 4/20/2018
EDD: 12/29/2018

Re: STM+ Check In 10/11

• Options

Nails: DS went a full week last week without any accidents! From Saturday-Saturday. Another nail, I asked DS what he wanted for a snack yesterday when we got home from daycare and he said apple slices. Winning! lol He ate the whole apple of apple slices.

Fails: DS had two accidents on Sunday and two on Monday. He hadn't had two accidents in one day in a LONG time. I am not sure what was going on.

Questions: I don't have any at the moment that I can think of.

Thanksgiving! I love when the family gets together and there is food, and football. :) I was actually born on Thanksgiving morning.

• Options
    Hello, my peeps!

Nails: DD has been sleeping relatively well in her big girl bed this week!  Last night was a bit of a fight to go to sleep, but, the past 2 months has been a fight even in her crib, so...

Fails: I got a speeding ticket yesterday on my way to my 30 week appointment.  I have a major lead foot, so I couldn't even argue it (not like I would anyways, but...).  Then, DD woke up SOAKED head to toe in pee this morning.  Man, that kid can pee.

Questions: Ok, bear with me while I paranoid Mom.  So, I read this horror story on FB a few weeks ago that **TW DEATH** was about a toddler girl that died because she was diabetic and no one knew.  **END TW**  They say the symptoms of diabetes to look for are increased thirst and fatigue/tiredness.  DD has been asking for extra milk and water before bed (like an insane amount, IMHO), but I haven't noticed any fatigue.  I have a glucometer.  Would I be out of line testing her blood sugar or would I be the worry wart Mom that believes everything she reads on FB if I requested a blood screen from the doctor?

GTKY: What is your favorite holiday?  Man, that's a tough one...I enjoyed holidays much more when I was a kid/teenager/young adult.  They just seem more stressful now that I'm a married adult.  I had to reel DH back into reality when we got married because he made it clear that we were NEVER missing one of his family Christmas celebrations.  Umm, excuse me, I have a family too.  Ok, answer the question, clbness.  Let's go with Christmas.  I always enjoyed Christmas with my family and I hope my kids have the same memories!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @clbness hmm that's tough...do you have any family history of diabetes? If so I'd say it doesn't hurt to talk to the doctor at least about your concerns. Otherwise I'd say she's probably okay unless she shows any other symptoms.

Nails: DS has started saying "sorry" on his own. Usually for little things, like stepping on my toe, not paying attention and running into me or DH, etc, but he understands to say sorry without being prompted all the time. I call that a win! 

Fails: my child refuses to poop on the toilet and it's breaking my husband and I :bawling: he has been pee-trained for MONTHS and in underwear since about May. And he totally understands what to do, and we've gotten him to do it twice (like 3 weeks ago now), but he chooses not to. And I'm not above bribing him, we've tried and he 100% understands that when he poops on the potty, he gets to open a new hot wheels car (we have about 7 waiting for him to actually poop...), but he just won't do it. DH and I are seriously at witt's end with this...

Questions: hmmm, can't think of anything!

GTKY: definitely Christmas!! I love the lights, decorations, music. I always loved getting together with the whole family on Christmas Day. Our Christmases are going to be so much different from when I was growing up though, so I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that "the whole family" isn't very many people...I always loved seeing my cousins, but my sister has zero plans to ever have kids, and BIL married someone with a teenager (17 I think?) and 7 year old, so significantly older than my kids (DS is 2.5 currently). So part of me is sad that my kids will miss out on those relationships that I had growing up. Luckily we do have friends who have a son just a few months younger than DS and have plans to have another, they're struggling to conceive at the moment though unfortunately. Sorry that turned into a downer post, it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @AdorkablePixie We would go through periods like that, too, where he did so well for weeks at a time and then, all of a sudden, several accidents. Potty training can be so frustrating! 
    @clbness That sucks about the speeding ticket! As far as your DD, since you already have the glucometer, I would research typical blood sugar levels for her age range ( I am not sure if they are different for kids), and go ahead and test her, for your own peace of mind. She is most likely fine, but if you are anything like me, you will worry until you know for sure.
    @cecilb93 Can you load him up on fruit one day (so you know he will have to poop), when you are home, and keep making him sit and squeeze frequently, until he goes?

Nails:
    It finally feels like fall here! Also, I am just enjoying my days wit DS. It is hard to believe in 11 weeks, he will not be an only child, anymore!

Fails: 
    I had to get my tire patched for the 4th time  in 14 months on Sunday. Then, the low tire pressure light came on again yesterday. It went off on its own, so I am crossing my fingers it stays away because I am so tired of dealing with tires!

Questions:

Christmas, by far! I love the holiday cheer, the music, and the food, especially the sweets. I also love cutting down a tree, having the decor up, reading the Advent calendar, giving gifts, going to see Santa, looking at the lights, and now, as a mom, it is even more fun to play Santa and move the Elf on a Shelf around!

• Options
    @AdorkablePixie I always feel like an amazing parent when my kid chooses something healthy!!!!
    @clbness Is your daughter due for a growth spurt? Eating less? How much does she drink during the day? Honestly, worst case scenario is you can ask her pedi and they may side eye you at the absolute worst.  If you're really concerned, then I'd just take that risk!
    @CecilB93 I gave my son quite a bit of time to try and get the pooping thing. Once I new for sure he understood what the deal was and he just was refusing, I disciplined (OMG, so lightly, btw).  I think the turning point was one day he wouldn't even try to poop on the potty and I told him that was fine, but if he pooped in his pants he'd have to go to time out while I cleaned his underwear.  He said he'd tell me and not 10 minutes later I smelled poop.  I took him into the bathroom and told him it was gross to poop in your underwear.  I cleaned him off and told him he had to sit in time out while I washed his underwear and he's only had an accident here and there since.  I know some people don't like the idea of them getting in trouble; but it worked for me.  I very much disliked cleaning poop out of underwear, lol.  Good luck!
    @katy0990 I'm starting to get more emotional about Caleb having a sibling and him not being my only one!

Nails: Caleb has been KILLING IT staying in his own bed. It's amazing!  Also, he seems really excited about having a baby brother and is talking about things he's going to do to help! It's adorable.

Fails: He got a little case of impetigo AGAIN.  Apparently, around 5% of people can have recurrent bouts because they carry the bacteria in their nose.  :s  The pedi gave us instructions to put this heavy duty antibacterial cream up his nose multiple times a day for 5 days.  We practiced last night and he did pretty good; but ew.

Questions:  Has anyone found any really cute big sibling shirts? I started looking around yesterday and I haven't been drawn in yet.

GTKY: What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving for sure!!! I love the hustle and bustle of getting ready and then everyone eating and being lazy and the (sometimes) fall weather that comes along with it. This year is especially exciting because Owen is scheduled to get here the 26th! I googled it and his birthday will be on Thanksgiving in 2020!

*Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    Heeeeey all. I’m in the midst of a serious nesting organization spree but taking a break to check in here.

Nails: Didn’t get mad at my kid when he had a MOTN wakeup two nights ago; I was rewarded by him sleeping in until 7:30. Woo! Also, made it through the biggest hurricane to hit the continental US since 1992. Wiiiith the in-laws.

Fails: Didn’t handle this morning’s 5:50 wake as well. Since it was so “late” he didn’t go back to sleep at all but just tossed and turned in bed with me until finally he started poking my eyes and I yelled at him. Something is messed up with his skin though — the back of his neck is raw from itching it. I don’t know what I can put on there to provide relief, and I’m afraid tonight will be bad because of it. Sigh. I’m le tired.

Questions: I feel like I had something...well, okay. 1) Should I be a good person and wash all the newborn stuff that’s been in storage? 2) Should I be a good person and throw out the old bottles my son really never took anyway? (Or is it just the nipples you need new?)

GTKY: Easter/Pascha is a huge celebration just because it’s like the culmination of a marathon, and my classic favorite is, of course, Christmas. For all of the regular reasons...tradition!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    @PensiveCrayon to answer your questions...I'm planning to wash all the old clothes we have. And I was just planning on replacing the nipples. Pretty sure I've heard you can use the same bottles just not nipples!

@texas_t you know, I don't think we've tried putting him in time out yet for pooping in his underwear, might have to try since nothing else is working honestly. Idk if it'll work, it's not like he's off playing while we clean his underwear, but we've never told him he's in time out. Not sure how to work in daycare poops though...I guess still just make him sit in timeout while we clean once home for the day? Hmm...

@katy0990 the thing is he's told me he needs to poop, sits on the toilet and pees, says he doesn't need to poop, then poops in his underwear 5 minutes later...he knows what he's doing, he knows how to do it, and he's tried to do it on the toilet when he doesn't actually need to, but once he does need to he doesn't tell us and hides it from us. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @PensiveCrayon I’m also washing the clothes and bottles, but replacing the nipples. Have you tried putting Aquaphor on his neck? I put that on my son pretty much anytime he has any skin irritation, and it usually takes care of it.
    @CecilB93 Potty training is such a PITA. I hope he starts pooping in the toilet soon.
    @texas_t  I am sorry your son has impetigo. I did not realize they can get it more than once!

• Options
    @katy0990  lol and cringe. Seriously love the earnestness of his demonstration. 

@CecilB93I so feel your pain. We had such a battle to get DD pooping on the potty. And then intermittent accidents for a while. A couple thoughts: can you get anything out of him about why he is avoiding? If they are constipated or holding in their poop, then it sometimes hurts and leads to avoidance. Or sometimes they don’t want to stop playing and poop. Also, DD was really proud of being in underwear, so we told her if she wasn’t ready to poop on the potty, she would have to go back to pull ups. If she had accidents while attempting to get to the toilet, I still praised. But if she full on pooped in her pants with no attempt to get to the potty, I wasn’t happy about that. 

• Options
    @katy0990 omg that's hilarious :lol: so sorry you had to clean up the mess though lol. 

@maureenmce maybe? But he's sat on the toilet for a good 5 mins before trying to go when he doesn't actually need to (I know because he's already pooped, and poop twice in one day is super rare for him). 

@Katzalia I can't really get much out of him as to why. I ask if it's scary and he says yes, but I don't feel like it's actually a yes, more so just agreeing to shut me up. And I don't think he holds it, he goes at least every other day if not more, and he doesn't seem to be in pain when he does go since half the time we don't even know until we smell it, so I don't think that's the issue. He's so excited about the thought of going because one - he gets a hot wheels car, and two - we have a poop book that explains how it goes through the pipes, into a sewage tank where it becomes sludge, then farmers use their tractors to spray sludge on fields. He LOVES tractors, so I thought telling him a tractor gets his poop when he goes in the potty would work, and he's super thrilled at the idea, but it hasn't motivated him apparently. 

@texas_t of course it happened tonight...he was watching tv and didn't even move off the couch, but I smelled it. So I made him sit on the step stool in the bathroom while I cleaned his underwear. He was so upset about being in time out :cry: but, I'm willing to continue to see if it helps. If not then we'll stop, but I want to give it at least a week of trying. I think DH and I are at the point of "we'll try anything" honestly.

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions, and listening to my ranting, it's just so frustrating! He stays dry 99% of the time, so DH really doesn't want to go back to pull-ups, and neither do I quite frankly. FX he gets it soon, we were hoping to be trained before baby is born which is why we started in May. The fact that he still won't poop is just astonishing to me! Ugh!!!!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @ScootsMcG I hope all of you feel better soon!
  • Options
    @katy0990 Thank you!  I broke down and took some tylenol today and had some coffee and am feeling pretty good!
  • Options
    @cecilb93 I made sure to remind him of his choices so timeout didn't come out of the blue if he did end up pooping.  When it was time for him to come out of time out I'd sit down in front of him and ask him if he remembers why he was in time out and I'd reexplain to him that "Mommy asked you to sit on the potty and try to poop or to tell me when you needed to go and you didn't, so you had to sit in time out while mommy cleaned your underwear"  Part of me felt bad until it worked, lol!  Good luck; it's a hard one.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @texas_t yea I've always sat with him like that to talk about why he was in time out. I was actually just reminding him about time out if he poops in his underwear because he hid from me. I don't think it was poop related though as he's still clean. 
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    These potty training stories are freaking me out!!! We have a ways to go I think. DS is 20months, and shows no real interest. 

He did pee on the floor this week before he got in the bath and he said “uh oh.” But other than that not much bathroom interest at all around these parts. 

Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • Options
    @krob but that’s great your little one has awareness about it! That’s great for 20 mo!
  • Options
    ErinkaErinka member
    edited October 2018
    Our 2 year 8 month DD has been interested in the potty since the month she turned 2, goes occasionally on the potty but can’t express her needs in advance really. We are not pushing hard or punishing ever because we want to make it a super positive experience. We don’t make a big deal about accidents and only celebrate successes. She sees the potty as something fun to do (but don’t force it if she declines) and she almost always gets excited to use it so we are grateful. 
  • Options
    @Erinka I always wanted it to be a positive thing, but it just doesn't seem to be working for us anymore, and it's literally been months of trying at this point. My son has always been excited to use the toilet, too, but I'm just tired of cleaning poopy underwear so I'm ready to try just about anything. And he's been in underwear for months so we really don't want to go back to pull-ups only or he won't tell us when he needs to pee anymore. Not trying to be that person that says you'll change your mindset, just saying that I've reached that point myself.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @CecilB93 Solidarity! We were in your exact position last spring. It is so frustrating when you know they can do it, but they need that extra push. Potty training can be so frustrating and what works for one kid may not work for another.
  • Options
    We all have our reasons behind our parenting decisions. This article influenced the way my husband & I are approaching it in our family: https://www.mother.ly/child/using-punishment-during-potty-training-can-backfire-mama
  • Options
    katy0990katy0990 member
    edited October 2018
    @Erinka  I hope your method works for you and that you are able to potty train your child successfully. However, please don’t mom shame those of us who chose other tactics in order to potty train our children, especially as someone who has not yet potty trained their child.
  • Options
    @katy0990 @Erinka I personally didn't feel shamed or attacked in any way...just saying.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    katy0990katy0990 member
    edited October 2018
    @CecilB93 I’m glad. I just wanted to put that out there because I think we all do the best we can and every child is different. Potty training can be so frustrating and it’s hard sometimes to hear that what you are doing isn’t the “right” way, especially when they haven’t BTDT.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

@clbness Oh my gosh I saw that too and started thinking about DS. I was like OMG what if he is a diabetic too?! I guess we can't help but think things like that.

@CecilB93 Ugh, sorry about the lack of pooping on the potty. Poop was more difficult for us as well!

@katy0990 I am happy it feels like fall finally too!! Also in disbelief I am going to be a mother of TWO soon. What have I done?! lol Oh my gosh, him peeing on the bed! Yikes! I always have to put shorts or pants on DS when he sleeps or the diaper comes off.

@texas_t Me too! lol Yesterday he wanted to snack on grapes. He was eating so many I had to stop him and make him eat a yogurt. I am pretty sure he would have eaten the entire bag. Thanksgiving is THE BEST! My birthday falls on Thanksgiving every 6-7 years and I love it. I was born on Thanksgiving day. :)

@PensiveCrayon We have to replace nipples?! What is the bottles were never used before? I did not realize this! Crap. I hate super early wakeups. Can you try a lotion for the itchy spots?

@ScootsMcG Aww I hope everyone is feeling better and you don't have issues with them still climbing into bed with you when everyone is all better!

• Options
    @CecilB93 I know you give hot wheels but have you tried a piece of candy? With DS we give two m&ms or something similar when he poops and he gets so excited. However, he never gets candy so it is a big thing when he gets some candy. He even asks for his surprise before he is done pooping, it's so cute.

• Options
    @AdorkablePixie yep, we have jelly beans for him. He likes to pick which two colors he gets. I feel like we've tried it all at this point except going back to pull ups and trying at a later date...which we really don't want to do since he stays dry all day with very minimal wet accidents.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @CecilB93 I get that. Someone suggested we switch back to pull ups when DS had an off week and had more accidents than usual. I was like no way, he's been in underwear since the end of April, I am not breaking the progress that he has made just because he's had a bad week!! Plus you'd think poop in underwear would be more uncomfortable and it wouldn't keep going on and on forever. He will have a breakthrough soon, I am sure!

• Options
    @CecilB93 Do you have one of the little potties that sits on the floor? My son had an easier time pooping on those, I think because he was in more of a squat position, as opposed to the big toilet with just a training seat.
  • Options
    I know a lot of people have qualms about punishments and potty training.  I think it comes down to knowing your kid and what their capable of.  Also, I know what I'm capable of and it wouldn't have been pretty if we had continuously poopy underwear, lol!  I didn't want to drag it out and he seems no worse for wear!  To each their own! 
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @CecilB93 Not much history on my side, but DH's paternal side does, so maybe that's why I'm worried.  I'm so sorry your DS won't go poop for you, that definitely has to be frustrating.  I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you, as we're not in full potty training mode yet, but I wish you luck, girl...I'm sure he'll get it soon!

@katy0990 I might just do that sometime after dinner this week.  I'll have her watch me do mine and then I'll do hers.  Thanks!  Did you end up getting your tire patched again this weekend since you weren't able to on Weds?  Grr!  And OMG, that potty story is hilarious!  

@texas_t Honestly, I'm bad about tracking growth spurts!  Daycare says she hasn't been drinking much milk during the day, but she maintains her usual water intake.  She drinks a full sippy in the AM before I take her to daycare and she'll have one in the evening after daycare.  She would have 2 more cups at bedtime if we let her...but, peeeeeeeeeee...... :D  Food wise, she's really hit or miss...Friday night, she ate like a damn horse, but other nights, it's light to average eating.  I just don't know.  I think I'll risk the side eye and ask the pedi.  So glad your little man is loving his new bed...what a relief!  I also have not found any cute big sibling shirts, dang it.

@PensiveCrayon Since I'm a weirdo and I like doing baby laundry, I'd wash the clothes.  And just get new nipples...hopefully the new babe likes the bottles and you can get some use out of them this time!

@maureenmce  So sweet about DD being excited and understanding more about getting a little sibling!  She sounds like a hoot!  My DD still really doesn't care, dang it.

@ScootsMcG  Yay for passing your test!  I hope your household is all feeling better by now.  I had that crud a couple weeks ago and I'm so thankful DD did not get it.

@AdorkablePixie  Yes, wasn't that story horrible...I was in tears!  I truly think that she drinks so much water because she's so active.  But, I'll at least start off with asking...never hurts to ask!

• Options
    chiming in late here, but @CecilB93 have you told him if he poops in his underwear he has to clean it?  I mean you will obviously clean it after him because he will inevitably do a poor job but maybe that will be gross enough for him to not want to do it?

@katy0990 I definitely laughed out loud at your son peeing on the  bed  :#
  • Options
    @clbness  no. It turns out the tire needs to be replaced. I took it in Saturday and waited forever, but by the time they told me the tire needed to be replaced, I needed to be home because DS was going to be waking up from his nap and I knew that if H got him up all of his productivity in the yard would cease. So, we filled it up again yesterday and I will call our mechanic who we really like tomorrow, since he is only open Tuesday through Friday. Thanks for asking!
  • Options
    @AdorkablePixie Oh, psh -- if you've never used a bottle don't replace the nipple! Maybe just sterilize to be on the safe side. But yes, the general rule which I guess I'll abide by is that used nipples shouldn't be re-used baby to baby.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • Options
    @katy0990 Blarg, so sorry you have to get a new tire.  Hopefully this one has a longer life!

• Options
    @katy0990 no little potty, I never wanted to screw with those things. He doesn't even use a training seat, he's just always gone on the regular toilet seat and been okay.

@Jens_Hoes I haven't had him clean it, may have to try that. I just feel like it'll be more of a mess, I just clean it using the dunk and swish cloth diaper method lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• Options
    @CecilB93 I agree that they are a PITA to clean. We finally put ours away like 2 weeks ago and I’m still doing the happy dance.
  • Options
    @CecilB93 Good, I’m glad to hear that.