January 2019 Moms
Options

UO - Oct 11

Is this already posted?

Share your most unpopular opinion! 

Re: UO - Oct 11

• Options
    Thanksgiving food.. BLECH. And we have 3 Thanksgiving dinners to go to every year. 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @saltedcaramel518 lol! Really!? What in particular?

I hate greeting cards. We get a million every year, and they go straight into the recycling bin. What the heck else do you do with them?
  • Options
    @leighbrek same here. A few years ago I specifically told friends and family to stop sending me christmas/holiday cards because I throw them right into the blue bin as soon as I open them. They were horrified lol! Basically a waste of money and trees, IMO. I dont buy anyone birthday cards either...I just think of all the water and electricity that goes into making a card that someone is going to half read and throw in the recycling (if I'm lucky). I'd rather just cut my consumption in the first place.
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    edited October 2018
    @leighbrek I like mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese.. but everything else doesn’t really appeal to me. I don’t like turkey or ham. I’m not a huge fan of pie. Everyone gets so excited about the food, and I’m just like, meh. 

ETA: I’m probably a little extra salty about Thanksgiving because, like I said, we have 3 dinners to go to every year on Thanksgiving Day. It makes the day stressful (especially when you throw in a toddler), and I just don’t enjoy it. 

• Options
    @leighbrek, I just gave myself permission while clearing space for baby to recycle the majority of the greeting cards I’ve been saving in shoe boxes for years. I kept the ones where the person had written a lengthy personalized message or a few where the person is no longer living, but mostly I got rid of them all and it felt great. 
  • Options
    @kaf1788 omg yes I LOVE almond joys. I was going to say that for my favorite Halloween candy in the EDD check in, but they aren't technically Halloween. 

And I am actually so excited for TG, mostly for the food part! But I also end up doing a lot of the cooking (my mom hosts and she's usually so in the zone w/housing prep that I take on a lot of the food prep), so I'm not looking forward to the hustle & bustle. 

Also +1 to throwing away cards. I keep ones with a lot of thought put into them and have some good ones stored from my grandparents. But I live in an apartment, I'm ruthless with what I give away to reduce clutter. 
  • Options
    I hate that I throw away cards. I feel bad but I don't have a need for them after the holiday. 

I like Almond Joy. 

Last year at Thanksgiving I was still really really heavy in my grief from my fall loss and it was coming up on a due date for the baby I lost last spring so I made the decision that my family was going to do a small our family only dinner. It was amazing. I needed to just focus on us and take that moment to heal a little. It was so good.

This year I will be huge and miserable and I don't feel like cooking at all so I'm outsourcing it. I'm going to see if my grandma will invite us. If not I might spend the money to have a traditional meal made for us or go out for it. SNS. I'll do the same for Christmas. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    @sparkymcgeee DHs mom's side always had TG at his grandma's house but last year they took us all out to eat at Cracker Barrel Wednesday night. It was Soo nice. No one had to cook and it freed up the day to go see 2 other families. Like @saltedcaramel518 I have 3 to go to and it's crazy. 
  • Options
    Yiiiiiiikes. Looks like we have more Almond Joy lovers than not! *backs away* hahaha
  • Options
    pttomato said:
    The one benefit of bedrest is I don’t have to deal with the ridiculous arguments about who we see on Thanksgiving this year. Whether I’m pregnant or not by then, I am definitely not going anywhere.
    The year before DH and I got married, I was diagnosed with strep throat the day before Thanksgiving. While the illness wasn't awesome, having a quiet, chill Thanksgiving was. 

• Options
    galactickatesgalactickates member
    edited October 2018
    I like Thanksgiving, even more when I can drink wine during  :D 

ETA almond Joy's AND milky ways are disgusting
  • Options
    last year we moved the day before Thanksgiving, so we didn't do any family stuff -- and it was GLORIOUS. I do love stuffing/dressing, but it was really nice to not have any obligations. :) 
    (also, I love Almond Joy! Coconut is my jam)

Andrea -- FTM at 39!

• Options
    I told my husband he can basically forget about holidays at his parents for the rest of EVER. I did nine years of Christmas and tg there- by my count I’m owed 9 however I want to spend them. 

I also hate almond joy and I’ll go one step more and say I hate coconut. I love pina coladas ... but hate anything that purports to be real coconut. That shredded trash can gtfo. 
  • Options
    @galactickates I just realized I can’t drink through the holidays. Oh man. 
  • Options
    My UO is that I find it really tacky when women ask for money in a round about way for wedding shower gifts. The problem is not the money as a gift Bc I don’t mind giving the money. I would rather give you something you want, just the way it comes across. Also then when the actual wedding comes around idk if I should give them MORE money or not. If somebody could just make a rule about it and relieve some of this anxiety I have about it that would be GRRREEAAATT!

Seond UO is more of a conflicting feeling. I’m not sure how to feel about baby showers where there’s a diaper raffle and the whole “bring a book instead of a card”. Definitely smart but also feels gift grabby. You want me to buy a gift, diapers, and a book? What if I wanted to buy you a relatively expensive gift and can’t budget for all three? Ughhh 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    I dislike almond joys...probably more than dislike. Something's I dislike I'll still eat...not an almond Joy.

I LOVE Thanksgiving dinner! All of it and I love the leftovers. Oh man, I'm getting excited thinking about it. 

I'm trying to think of an unpopular opinion of mine...Im sure i have a lot of them , ha ha. I'll be back.

• Options
    @kaf1788 love Almond Joy! I like to freeze them before eating one. 
  • Options
    @ms_stevens87 I find it super tacky when I see a link to contribute to the “honeymoon fund” on a wedding registry. Nope, sorry, I’m not funding a vacation you apparently didn’t properly budget for. 

• Options
    @saltedcaramel518 I don’t mind the wanting money part. Especially if it’s bc the couple has been together for a while and they don’t need things for around the house. I just hate the wording of it all. Lol. Oh and I just noticed the 518 at the end of your name. I’m also in the 518. It’s a small world 
  • Options
    @ms_stevens87 That's actually DS's birthday :) 5/18

• Options
    @saltedcaramel518 that didn’t even cross my mind. I was getting excited to possibly being bump neighbors lol 
  • Options
    I typically give money for weddings, but I don't like to give money at showers. It just feels awkward to me for the gift opening part.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    drabong88drabong88 member
    edited October 2018
    +1 for disliking almond Joy's. I really don't like coconut in general. And I love Thanksgiving! I'm lucky that we only see my family on Thanksgiving and celebrate with his family the Saturday after. And besides the Turkey all of the sides are pretty different so I'm not eating the same dinner twice (although I very well could eat 2 of each) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I’m not a fan of almond joy, but mounds might just be the most amazing candy bar ever created. Dark chocolate + coconut? Sign. Me. Up!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It’s better than Christmas IMO. I cook every year no matter where we celebrate and the time with family without the gift giving stress is heaven. I’m hosting this year at our house and even though I’ll be huge and probably exhausted, I seriously cannot wait for the feeling of cooking up a storm with the family while watching the parade. Not to mention leftover turkey sandwiches on homemade bread for days afterward!
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I don't know how you guys that celebrate multiple events on one day do it. I pick one for each day, and sorry to the rest! Although I am lucky that my SO only has one sister that he talks to and we are pretty much BFFs. When DD2 was born we had thanksThanksat our house, she was only 2 months so I made it potluck style. We had a huge group and it was so much fun. It was some of my family, SO's sisters family (we invited her in-laws too but they didn't come), my sister's family and her in-laws, even 2 of her friends. The more the merrier. We had 2 turkeys and a ton of food. 

I do feel more and more guilty every year on holidays that we do everything with my family and not SOs. But like I said he only has one sister and she had kids before he did so they already have their traditions. We usually stop by their house on Christmas and other holidays  to do presents. I think if I enjoyed hosting and cooking I would definitely change it up and tell everyone to come to my house now but I don't, so my parents house it is!
  • Options
    Hate almond joys, but growing up in a rural area with old people we had some real winners in the Halloween bag. Mary Janes anyone? Raisins? Eff you.

I love thanksgiving but am not cooking this year and family can't visit. We are going out to eat the two of us at an amazing buffet in Harlem AND I plan on taking a taxi instead of the subway. Yum! Yay!

I also hate registering for money related things like "$100 towards a bottle of champagne at the hotel" and "honeymoon fund". I was actually appalled that people give money at weddings when I first moved to NY. Now I've lived here all of my adult life and I just gave an Amazon gift card for a wedding. But the money thing still bothers my Southern #culturalassimilation  
  • Options
    I love Almond Joys

I hate money registries....with the exceptions of a nice 529 contribution for a baby

I love turkey/thanksgiving dinner but I am a appalled that people serve ham at thanksgiving. My in-laws do thanksgiving ham and the first (and only) time we had thanksgiving at their house I was genuinely upset that I missed my one chance all year to eat roasted turkey with awesome leftover turkey sandwiches. Ham is for Easter and/or Christmas Eve and that's it.
  • Options
     My UO is I don’t like gravy and I’ve only recently started to like thanksgiving turkey. Growing up we always did thanksgiving at my grandparents house and god rest her soul but my grandmas turkey was ALWAYS dry. So I never ate it. My family is pretty big so we always had turkey, ham and roast beef. Looking forward to the holidays Bc they tend to speed up these last couple of months then baby girl will be here. 

As far as almond joys or mounds. YUCK. Sorry ladies. Definitely more for you if I was around. Dark chocolate milkyway minis if I have to have a candy bar. But ice cream over all candy 
  • Options
    @KLS123 buuuut if you do ham AND turkey, that's the sweet spot right there! I had a coworker who worked at honey-baked ham & he taught me their recipe; a lot of layers of honey & a blowtorch lol. Needless to say, it's freaking delicious and I now need it every TG - but definitely not in lieu of turkey.
  • Options
    ham could be added to turkey but should not replace turkey. my sister hates ham so much and i love it so much. every time i eat ham i sent her close up pics lol.
  • Options
    @kaf1788 I'm this way with grape-flavored candies.  Jolly ranchers, blowpops, tootsie pops...I love the grape ones so there's always an abundant supply for me!

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• Options
    I'm also appalled by the ham on Thanksgiving. Although, I'm not a huge fan of the turkey or gravy, I'm very much on board with all of the sides and pie. I also echo the comments on the wine, its going to be a sad year without it.

Also dislike mounds and almond joy. My favorite are the Reese's cups by far!!! For some reason we don't get many trick or treaters here though, not sure if its as popular here as where I grew up in the Midwest.
  • Options
    @kerryann124 yes!!  The sides and pie are the whole reason Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!
  • Options
    @galactickates we alternate each year going to one side of my family then the other. DH's fam doesn't do anything for thanksgiving....for some reason? But my favorite thanksgiving is the side of my family that provides BOTTLES of wine and shrimp and crab cakes among all the other traditional things. 

MAYBE UO: I'm actually more excited about Black Friday shopping after dinner than Thanksgiving itself. I know it's not the greatest thing, I know I shouldn't care about shopping more than spending time with family, but come on. DH and I's last Thanksgiving in California (both our families live in Minnesota, along with us now) we decided to skip it and just head out to do Black Friday shopping when stores opened lol it was glorious because we didn't have to feel guilty one bit. 
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    Another: I don't like pie. I like cheesecake, but I don't like other pie. I LOVE cake, but pie is just 2 crusts with gooey crap in the middle. I AM ok with oreo crust, but I'd rather just eat the crust. 
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    @sweetyjenj I am running out of breath just thinking about going black fri shopping in our third trimester  :D My black friday shopping will be on my phone. I may miss out on deals in person but I’d rather be in my pjs away from the crowd! 

UO after dealing with unprofessional coworkers — people suck. Esp those that are sooo unhappy that they too want others to be miserable. Actually, this might not be that unpopular.
  • Options
    I didn’t like the last episode of This is Us!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker