February 2019 Moms
Options

Baby Making (the October DIY thread)

This is the place to share anything DIY related! Pictures of completed projects, pictures of disasters (my personal favorite), ideas or questions for new projects, etc!

Re: Baby Making (the October DIY thread)

• Options
    I've finally found a potential dresser, I just need to figure out how to actually get it! Anyone have any good instructions or tutorials for refinishing furniture?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @becks_726 I bought a small dresser with the plan of stripping the paint (or sanding it all off) and repainting. I got the following advice on refinishing furniture: don't. Unless you've done it before, starting with something the size of a dresser is going to be a pain in the ass. Plus, newer furniture is really hard to refinish. If it's antique it's much easier to strip the paint.
    That said, if you'd still like to give it a go, here a good article to start with, and this site also has good guides for the entire process: https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-and-decorate/decorating/how-to-tell-if-wood-furniture-is-worth-refinishing
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 love the advice! Lol! I should probably listen but I'm going to give it a try. I figure I have time to try, fail and buy new.  :D my one requirement for a dresser is that it's solid wood so I think that'll help a little. Thanks for the link! 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    @becks_726 Good luck, and let me know how it goes! I went so far as to borrow a rotary sander from a colleague with the plans of totally sanding off the bright red paint from a Pottery Barn Kids dresser, then finally decided that red is just fine for the nursery. So I cracked up when I saw your post, because I posted something almost identical to FB a while back. :D

• Options
    You can also try chalk paint. I’ve only done it the old fashioned way but I’ve seen pics of furniture done with chalk paint and it looks good. No idea on durability though. 
  • Options
    You can also try chalk paint. I’ve only done it the old fashioned way but I’ve seen pics of furniture done with chalk paint and it looks good. No idea on durability though.

Sorry, stuck in the box: One of the people who commented on my FB post said that they've had a lot of luck with chalkboard paint. Just be sure to lightly sand the dresser first, so that the chalkboard paint doesn't feel or bubble.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice @Sornusa! Is PPG a brand? 
  • Options
    I made a toy for my lovebird on the weekend, thats all i got...  :D
  • Options
    @Sornusa Your helpful advice has got me reconsidering my decision to just leave the red dresser as-is... 
  • Options
    @becks_726 yes it is! www.ppgpaints.com
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11haha sorry 😬 I'm sure either way it will be perfect!!
  • Options
    megpants209megpants209 member
    edited October 2018
    This isn't a DIY but can I still go here? I just scheduled the nursery closet build out and I can't waitttt to get it done and see those tiny clothes in there.
  • Options
    This isn't a DIY but can I still go here? We just scheduled the nursery closet build out and I can't waitttt to get it done and see those tiny clothes in there.
    Definitely can be posted here! This thread is for DIY and decorating, and really any other type of "handywork/craft/home improvement" type thing!
  • Options
    Honestly, don't refinish it. I've done a lot of refinishing, and refinishing anything, let alone a dresser, while super pregnant is basically the worst idea ever. I did it while pregnant with DS.

We really need to come up with a plan for what we're doing for the older kids (moving them into the same room), but I'm being super lazy.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    We refinished almost all the nursery furniture (crib, daybed and tall dresser) over the summer and it fucking sucked. But now it’s so cute so I’m happy we did. 
  • Options
    you guys are seriously talented!  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 omg that is amazing!!! Excited to see the finished project. 

Im crocheting a blanket for the babe. I’ve never crocheted before, so it’s rough and I’m learning as I go. 

We did IUI, and during the planning/build up/TWW, I sewed tons of stuff... blankets, bibs, and burb cloths mostly. I need to make a few more things since I have so much fabric still. 
  • Options
    Those are beautiful @thechickendance! The cuff would pair so nicely with a LBD. 

@hannahbananas11 I chuckle everytime I see the title of this thread. Well done! 
  • Options
    Another Sunday, another baby hat. 

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    @conchispita- I love that. Very stylish.
  • Options
    My hubby and I are going apeshit! lol. I am DIY'ing a change table from an antique dresser, while he is completely renovating our kitchen(we live in a groovy 70's house that is in dire need of updating), replacing all our windows and turning our sunroom in a 4 season room so we have extra space in the house. #needmoretime #needmoreenergy :lol:

Too much? Is it really true I need to stay away from paint fumes?? 
  • Options
    @wrensnest I LOVE those! So colorful and fun! The garland turned out really well, too!