June 2019 Moms

Baby Splurges

(stolen from May 19). Sorry ladies, I am on a discussion starting roll today (work is slow). Hope you all don't mind! 

Anyone have a baby item they are thinking of splurging on and want to hear from other moms if they think it’s worth it?

Also- STMs, what did you spend a lot of money on that you don’t think was worth it?

Re: Baby Splurges

• We splurged on the Owlet when my daughter was a newborn. I was so hormonal and couldn’t even sleep despite being exhausted because I was so paranoid something would happen to her. This literally gave me so much peace! We could even check in on her when we would go out on date night and my parents would be watching her. We had the Snuza before that for a hot minute but that was a giantttt waste so even thought the snuza is cheaper, don’t even bother. 
  • I know its super early, but I love researching purchases and usually take a long time to finally decide on something big. We won't splurge on anything this go around as we have everything we need. The only thing might be a halo bassinet. 

Best splurges
    *The ollie swaddle
    *Ollie gray nursing/pumping bra
    *dockatot (was great for transitioning to the crib)
    *baby jogger city select (we are still using it for DD who is 2)
    *rock n play

Things we bought that were not worth it
    *Expensive over the shoulder diaper bag (backpack diaper bag is where its at. Especially chasing a toddler. My fave is the skip hop one).
    *Mamaroo. DD hated it. She much preferred the sway of the swing over this. 

• Loading the player...
  • Hoping for the uppa baby vista double stroller this time around! I’ve heard great things. 

We plurged on the Halo bassinet last time. It was fine but DS didn’t really like it :/ 
  • +1 to the rock n play, and go ahead an splurge on the one that rocks itself! DD slept in that for almost the first 6 months. 
    ill have to think of what else we loved for DD
  • @luckystar28 Hm maybe it isn't worth it for us to get then? I was thinking it would be nice if the dock a tot fit in it. especially since i will be recovering from a c-section and would love something i don't have to bend over for. 
  • @whitney812 Agreed, the snuza was not good. I don’t even know where ours is anymore 😂 Oops 
  • @meatballs37 He outgrew it so so fast and the mattress felt very flimsy/cheap. He also disliked being flat and it was hard to incline. We ended up inclining the crib and that worked so much better for us! It’s also pretty big, like the stand. Definitely check it out in person first!
  • We loved the rock n play. DS slept in it for the first 3 mobths then anytime he had a cold and needed to be at an incline for the following few months. We actually bought the one with the self rocking when Bru was going out of business. 

I don't really need anything this time minus possibly a stroller but I am undecided at this point if I will get a double or just get a standing g board for ds. 

Ooh I also want a sit me up this time. Girls in my son's bmb loved them!

STM + what are you all this King about doing for the double stroller situation?
  • @dntstpbelieveing We are gonna stick with our city select for the double (we already have the second seat). I may get the bassinet attachment though instead of the car seat snap in since we walk a ton in our neighborhood now and a newborn in summer will be so nice. Possibly the glider board attachment too since DD will be 2 and a half-ish and everything right now is "I do it myself." 
  • I would love to splurge on a nice diaper bag and the crib.  But I have a feeling I will splurge on a lot lol!
  • I actually love my over the shoulder diaper bag. I'm usually chasing 2 or 3 kiddos too. 

I have heard horror stories about the transition from a rock-n-play to crib so I have stayed far away from those. 

The thing I think is the best investment is a wrap for a newborn and then one for when they get older. I have a K'tan and Ergo and love them both. The Ktan is so easy to put on and put baby in. They are so snuggly in those too. The ergo is great because its e as dy to just snap them in and go. Plus, I use it as a portable highchair when I can't find one at a restaurant or they are all out. I can strap the baby to a chair and they are secure. 

I love the velcro swaddles too. Makes swaddling so much easier. 
  • We’re going to get the City Select Lux, but I think that’s our only big splurge. Last time everything we bought was worth it. Except the Halo Bassinet :/ I didn’t like it at all and DD wouldn’t sleep in it. 
  • Won’t be buying anything for awhile but splurging on a double stroller and new nursery furniture. 

One thing we splurged on last time was a Dock A Tot. I can’t say enough about it. We don’t co sleep and used it only for naps but it was great to move around the house and it taught her to sleep on her back vs inclined like in a rnp. 
  • @inomniaparatus2
    Yes! Same with the dock a tot. It was perfect for naps and helped so much with the crib transition. DD also had colic and she seemed most happy in it. Even more so than the rock and play. 
  • I love this thread!
    I feel silly, but I love researching baby gear and products.
    Splurges from DS that we still love 4+ years later: BabyBjorn travel bed. We travel quite a bit and it was so much easier than a traditional pack-n-play.
    Splurges for this go round: Babybay bedside sleeper, nice wrap (still trying to figure out best brand - so overwhelming!), and BabyBjorn bouncer.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hoping for the uppa baby vista double stroller this time around! I’ve heard great things. 

We plurged on the Halo bassinet last time. It was fine but DS didn’t really like it :/ 
    I think the UPPAbaby is the best thing I splurged on. It’s a company that is local to me and if anything goes wrong they literally send you a new stroller, no questions asked. 

This is time I am splurging for a really comfortable nursery chair. I want one that reclines so I can easily rest while new baby sleeps on me
  • We are going to splurge on the stroller for sure, not sure what yet, but one with a bassinet. I am also willing to splurge on a good pregnancy pillow or anything that will help me sleep. I sleep half on my stomach/side usually and I toss and turn as it is. So sleep is the thing that makes me the most nervous, and would love any recommendations for when that time comes!
  • @ncm1919 YES to an awesome recliner! Do you have one in mind? The one in DS’s room is fine but I do wish we had gotten a fancier one. I still use it daily! This time around I’m treating myself considering how much time I end up spending in it..
  • I got the Halo Bassinet for free from one of our local buy nothing groups- it was great, however I would not have paid full price for it. 
  • A friend of mine had the halo and took it back before her LO was even born, she said it was just not worth the $$. I’ve been looking at these dock a tot and so that may be my splurge.
    also, we will be getting a WiFi monitor this time. I didn’t last time and it is something I wish I would have. We have a large lot and I’m limited in distance on where I can go and still be able to see DD when she naps. And the battery life in those monitors are so short!
    im also trying to figure out what type of done stroller I want, DD will be 3 1/2 so I feel like we’d use it for a year or 2 but I don’t know? Any TTMs have any advice?
  • meatballs37meatballs37 member
    edited October 2018
    @nmbrcrnchr1 I recommend the nest for a WiFi monitor that goes through your phone. The only downside to it is it charges you for playback capabilities after a year (it’s a subscription). You don’t have to pay for that and it could be a continuous one just like a stand alone. But I personally love the playbacks to see what times DD woke during the night. I also like seeing DD while I’m at work. 
  • @luckystar28 no nothing yet. Need to make sure this pregnancy is for real. Our spare room/now nursery is small so it will have to be petite. I also really think I will need to test it out. So wayfair is most likely out. I might try and plan around a PB or Crate kids sale
  • jhems776jhems776 member
    edited October 2018
    Will think on this more but a nice stroller, like one with shock absorbers.  We have the chicco bravo and after 1/2 a year it started not being as nice and now two years out it really sucks!!!!  Totally not made for sidewalks or anything but a mall.  We were just loaned a BOB and holy cow how nice that thing is!  We were at a fall fest and was pushing it over grass and it handled it like a champ!  I'm going to start stalking FB marketplace for a double BOB soon. 
  • Things I wouldn't splurge on again, our halo bassinet. Like most of the other babies, mine didn't like sleeping in it. I really think it was the super thin mattress. I'm looking for a thicker mattress that is considered sleep safe to put in it this time rather than buy a new bassinet. 

Best splurge, our BOB running stroller. It's a little more bulky than most strollers but it handles great everywhere. Pushing it around our backyard is very easy.
  • eleven_eleven_ member
    edited October 2018
    I have been lusting after a BOB stroller. All these posts about it are making me want it even more!

I didn't use a rock and play with my other kids and am seriously considering getting one. Both of my kids slept in a swing because they refused to sleep flat in the crib.

@meatballs37 I'm glad I read your post about the Mamaroo. I was thinking about it getting it this time. How does the nest monitor work? Do you just keep your phone plugged in with the screen turned on all night?  
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @eleven_ our house is really small. We can hear DD with the door open. We also have second really cheapo monitor for when we are in the basement or outside. You can also set up your phone to give you alerts when there is a sound from it. I havent used that option personally.

And yeah...the mamaroo was a waste for us. :( DD liked it a little more around 5-7 months because she could see us making dinner in it. But we also loved the sit me up seat for that. 
  • ncm1919ncm1919 member
    edited October 2018
    @nmbrcrnchr1 I second the support of the nest cam. The app is really easy to use and set up is simple. We bring it to other people’s houses and you can set it up instantly. I don’t anticipate us stopping using it any time soon. Also, I think it would be easy to repurpose it in another area of the house once baby needs privacy. We will be getting a second one for new baby 100% 
  • @eleven_ I second the mamaroo being a waste. I tried using it and DD just didn’t care for it. Luckily I bought mine used bc wasn’t worth the price of a new one as we used a handful of times. I also love the Nestcam and that’s what we use. It’s great for when you leave LO at home bc you can check on them while you are out on a date night outside the house. It doesn’t work like a normal monitor in that it doesn’t turn off except for sound but it will alert you to movement. We can hear DD upstairs even though we are down so just use it while we are awake. Also great to see when she woke up in the morning. We have the app on our phones and iPad then leave the iPad for babysitters. 
  • eleven_eleven_ member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you @inomniaparatus2 I definitely will not be getting the mamaroo. That does sound amazing with the Nestcam to be able to check in while out. 
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • harrierwifeharrierwife member
    edited October 2018
    Paying super close attention here. I'm a purger and I HATE stuff. I'm a "do without" kinda girl so this is going to be a nice exercise for me.....

I know we'll end up splurging on a stroller/carseat/etc combo, but I want one that I could jog or go on light trails with. I don't think they exist......Plus, grandparents are a 17 hr drive away right now something that travels well, too. 

I LOVE the Baby Jogger that packs down into a CARRY ON. BLOODY BRILLIANT. 
  • The BOB stroller was one of our absolute favorite and most used buy with my son (but we are also runners). I really want a dockatot this time around. Other than that, we already have so much stuff I’m not sure how much we will be adding!
  • @luckystar28 I am dreaming about the Uppababy Vista too! I showed it to my mom- she about died over the price. 

@ncm1919 I am so glad to hear you loved your Uppababy!
    Me: 30 DH: 35
    Married 12/2014
    TTC#1: 4/2017

• @mmccorm2014 The price is hefty for sure. (Hefty hefty hefty- haha garbage bag commercial reference for any nerds like me) But it looks so nice and I love the stadium seating. I think it’ll be worth it! 

Did everyone see uppababy is also coming out with a convertible car seat? Right now they just have the infant Mesa
  • @luckystar28 Hahaha I think it will be worth it too! I hadn't heard about the car seat! I will be excited to see it! 

Me: 30 DH: 35
    Married 12/2014
    TTC#1: 4/2017

• I'm kind of late to this party. Things I loved: DockaTot!! It was a life saver and actually my DD slept in it for 6 months almost exclusively. @meatballs37 it fits perfectly in the Halo Bassinest. But I'm also one that doesn't love the Halo. It was fine and I'll use it for the next one, but I wish I had gotten something that rocked. I'm kind of a stickler on flat on the back sleep, and the DockaTot was the only way we could make that happen. So, we have a rock n play but she didn't like it and I was too anxious to let her sleep in it after hearing the stories about it. 

As far as monitors, I LOVE our Infant Optics monitor. I'm leery of a WiFi cam after someone I know personally had hers hacked. But, I'm sure if you use the proper safeguards, it's fine. But the Infant Optics is great - the signal goes a long way, and their customer service is great. They're actually replacing my camera right now after 18 months because the microphone is being wonky.

I got a Tula Free to Grow, but wish I'd gotten a Lillebaby. Probably will get one this time around. The K'Tan saved my life those early months.

This baby, I want a reclining glider for the nursery. I spent too many hours in that glider and I wished I could have been more comfortable. Also I need to look into double strollers. Thinking about UppaBaby vs City Select... but I've done basically no research! 
  • Second time mom here. We splurged on the Dockatot and it was worth every penny. We also got a Tula baby carrier which is good once they get a little older. We still use ours now with our 16 month old. I also had my first baby in June and the Moby wrap was too hot- I ended up purchasing a lightweight “happy baby wrap” and used that for the first 3 to 4 months.  As far as strollers go - I bought a second hand BOB stroller. They are great for walks or working out with baby. They are quite pricey so we got ours off FB marketplace for almost half price and it almost looked brand new.  Not sure what I will be doing about double strollers. My daughter will almost be 2 when I have baby #2. 
  • klmcguireklmcguire member
    edited October 2018
    I don't even think docatot was a thing with my other 2 children... I just had to google it. 

I likely splurge on a new rocker (Like PB or RH). @ShadeofGreen816 SAME. That rocker was my life for years. I will definitely be getting something more comfortable. Even just to pump I would sit in there.  I pretty much kept everything because unlike you @harrierwife
     I am a hoarder. I literally packed up everything nice and neat. I have my snugamonkey swing and rock n play, nursery furniture, bouncer, play mats. 

Things my sister got that are definitely splurge worthy that I will be stealing from her:
    Owlet

• @ShadeofGreen816 we love the infant optics monitor too and still use it with our 3.5 Y.o. as a kind of intercom system in case he needs something at night. I also *love* the Lillebaby (but for a smaller infant, the ergo is just as good and not as bulky).  On the stroller, we have loved our Uppababy Cruz and friend's Vista but I also saw the other day a post about new travel strollers that indicted that a lot of new brands are entering the US market.

@klmcguire the owlet seems great. I think my husband would question it due to the official pediatric guidance.

• @marijaa333 out of all the safe sleep devices out there I have used, the owlet is by far the best. We used an Angelcare with our first and while it gave peace of mind, in a large crib it was hard to cover all the space. The false alarms were annoying and scary. The snuza was ok, but just did not work near as well as the owlet did on my niece. 

Lots of good options on the market though. 
  • I feel out of the loop here...what is a Dockatot exactly? I feel like I've seen it and it looks like a padded mat to lay the baby on? My son is 4 and I don't remember that being around when he was born. 
    BabyFruit Ticker