February 2019 Moms

Health/Fitness Check In 10.6

Who is still working out and trying to stay healthy? What all are you doing these past few weeks and are you needing modifications? 

Any products you're swearing by to help you stay healthy and active?

Re: Health/Fitness Check In 10.6

• I’m still plugging away at running and classes and not having to make too many modifications except slowing down. It’s definitely harder though and not quite as enjoyable as I thought it would be. I REALLY thought I’d be all glowy and energetic but not so much. 

I’m waiting on maternity workout leggings to come in and thinking of going to Lululemon for the Align pants that everyone seems to swear by since my old stuff is no longer cutting it. Hopefully if I get some workout gear that fits properly I’ll feel better about working out. 
  • I was doing prenatal yoga, but not the last week or 2- had a stomach virus and never got back into the workout routine. Need to ASAP. Just purchased Expecting and Empowered workout routine and it looks AMAZING. Excited to start!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm still running consistently and not making any modifications yet, other than stopping more frequently to pee. Also, I now have a vest for my water and phone and it is great since my running belts are no longer working out with the bump.  I've done prenatal yoga once via online in the last two weeks though I'd rather go in person, but despite the number of yoga studios in my town none of them offer prenatal yoga.
    Old Navy is the only place I've found very reasonably priced maternity running shirts, I may have to try Target next.    
  • @thechickendance I ordered a pair of capris from amazon by Ingrid and Isabel. They’re regularly a little on the expensive side but were on sale for $30! And they seem to fit great. I’ll try them out today. I never do Lulu stuff even not pregnant so before I go buy those I want to make sure they’ll work postpartum. 

Is is this your first baby? If not how soon did you start getting active after your previous pregnancies?
  • @megpants209 Oh nice!  I'll have to check that out for athletic wear, when you mentioned lululemon above I was hoping that meant they had a maternity line and immediately looked!  (but if they work postpartum as well that would be ideal given price)    This is my first - so getting back to a routine postpartum will be interesting, I've been following some pro runners who have had kids to get a sense for how they tapered workouts down as their pregnancies progressed and when they returned to activity, but of course how the birth goes may have a major impact on the time to return to running.
  • @thechickendance do you have a recommendation for where to find some good online prenatal yoga? I've called around to a bunch of studios in town.... only one has an upcoming session - $75 for 5 classes and I'd miss 2 of them. No thanks lol.

I ran very consistently up until the month before we started "trying" for this baby... then I was too scared to run when I found out I was pregnant and now I'm worried that I'm maybe too far along to pick it up again. 
    But I have been doing lots of hikes with the dogs still and so far have just slowed down a bit. My regular leggings are still cutting it... but I probably have less than a month left with them. 

I should maybe ask this in the product spotlight - but has anyone run here used a running stroller? Seems like every 3-wheeled stroller is called a "jogging stroller" now and I'm having trouble finding ones that are actually appropriate for running. I'm looking at a Thule Urban Glide but are open to suggestions if you guys have any! For reference, before getting knocked up I was doing 20-40 miles a week in mostly urban settings (sidewalks/pavement/well-packed trails) and would like to slowly work up to that again. 
  • @thechickendance oh I should have clarified that! The Align isn’t maternity but apparently the material is super stretchy and supportive so it works during and after. A friend is 12 weeks ahead of me and swears by them! 

I habe NO idea what post-baby workouts will look like but I’m really hoping I don’t have to take a full 6-8 weeks off. 
  • @mommin135 I've used doyogawithme.com (per the suggestion of a few others on the board!) and watched for free on my computer.  Definitely also interested in the running stroller question - I currently have the BOB Revolution Flex on our registry but was looking at the Thule as well.  

@megpants209  Those I may have to look into then, if they're that stretchy with the high waist.  I'm also thinking 6-8 weeks seems like a long time, but understandably it might be that long before actually getting back to running.
  • For all those asking about post partum running....

DD was a bit different two years ago, as I’m already slowing down quite a bit, but I ran (at a slower pace and shorter distances) up until about two days before she was born at 41weeks even. Before getting pregnant, I had been running 8-10 miles once a week and 4-5 miles at least 3 more times a week. I kept up running 4-5 times a week all the way through, just modified speeds and distances. Because of this, my doctor gave me the green light to run again “as soon as I felt good enough” when she discharged me from the hospital. I waited about two more days after the two day hospital stay before attempting a walk (DH pushed the stroller), and I think it was about two weeks before I attempted running. My doctor had warned me it would feel “different” - she was a runner too - and to listen to my body and stop before it felt bad, because it might feel worse later afterwards. It was all exactly as she said. It felt different - hard to explain, but almost like part of me was missing, and everything else was filling in that hole as I jostled it all around. I took it easy, and was fine until I tried to increase after a few days. At that point, I mostly got scared that I was going to have some sort of prolapse, and I decided to quit until after my 6wk pp visit. All was fine, but I took it waaay easy out of fear after that. 

Hope this is more helpful than scary!
  • @mommin135 about the running vs jogging stroller - mine is called a jogger, but I ran with it. You should know, though, which I didn’t, that it’s not recommended to run until baby is able to support his/her head on his/her own. I tried and she wobbled all over so I stopped and read my manual and I want to say it said like 6 months or something crazy!
  • mommin135mommin135 member
    edited October 2018
    @catwoman8731 yes! I have read that and I think you’re right - 6 months. That’s also why I wondering if it’s worth it to buy such an intense stroller just for jogging - it will be end of august nearly before it’s safe to run with baby and, with the winters we have up here, I’d be able to run with them for maaaaybe three months before having to stop for the winter due to snow everywhere. 
    I’m definitely on the fence about it still. 

@thechickendance thank you!!! I’ll try that website out :) 

ETD @thechickendance did one of the videos this morning and it was pretty good! Thanks for the rec!