April 2019 Moms

STM+ Check in w/o 10/3

How far along are you? How big is baby?

How many kids do you already have? Ages? 

How are your other kids doing this week? 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? 

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? Eg crib to bed, potty training, new bedroom.

Re: STM+ Check in w/o 10/3

• How far along are you? How big is baby?
    14+1 so peach/length of a credit card

DD is 16 mo

She was hilarious last night in trying to play with her aunt - get attention and run away squealing. And then fall over half the time because she wasn’t looking where she was going. 

She’s also been biting me while nursing to sleep, and I’ve been yelping and banning her from that boob until it stops hurting. Not cool, kiddo. Let’s nurse when you’re still waking up and too sleepy to be mean, mmk?

I really wish I could go to dr appointments without her or at least with DH to help wrangle. It is soooo distracting and she has zero interest in the ultrasound or whatever.

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? 
    We bedshare now on a mattress on the floor, and she’s probably ready for a toddler bed. She can climb onto/off of a futon safely, so I think she will manage whatever low bed/thin mattress we get, plus she’ll definitely come into our bed to visit for a while. I just don’t want the new arrival to be the thing that displaced her, rather than her being a big girl making her ready to move.
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 11+1, poker chip or brussel sprout

How many kids do you already have? Ages? DD-4

How are your other kids doing this week? Pretty good. DH seems to be able to get her to nap more regularly, although it’s a bit later then I’d like. Which makes bedtime slightly more difficult and later but the late afternoons are easier. 

I thought I was doing better but now I feel like I’m getting more nauseous/ickier as time goes on. Still struggling with breakfast/mornings. 

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? Eg crib to bed, potty training, new bedroom.

Maybe a new big girl bed, but a lot is going to depend on what decisions we make about housing for next year. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
    13+1
    lemon or post it note

DD 5, DS 2.5

DS is potty training and is doing great at home (has been pooping on the potty only for a week now!) but refuses to go potty in public.
    DD has been super whinny about everything and crying when she doesn’t get her way. So his week has been super frustrating for me dealing with that

DH is a hunter and deer season just started on Monday and I’m already annoyed by it lol. Mainly because I don’t get a vacation (family vacation) this year with the new baby coming but he gets 4 weekends up north and an entire week in nov to hunt. All while I’m home with the kids. I’m hoping he gets a deer this weekend so we can do more family stuff. Or get a weekend away without kids 

Both kiddos are in big kids beds so they are good. When the new baby is 1.5 we will transition to sharing a room with one of the kids. DS is potty training, but I’m expecting a regression when the new baby comes. 
    13 weeks, a large macaron or matchbox car, haha.

One son, 4yo.

He's doing pretty well.  Finally over a head cold, so acting much more like his normal self.  I'm trying to get better at doing school in the morning (we're homeschooling), so it becomes more of a pattern before the baby comes. 

I'm freaking terrified of the transition from one to two.  Don't get me wrong, we planned and wanted a second baby, but the reality of it is hitting me this week.  We have such a good groove and I know what our day to day reality is that it's hard for me to imagine the change.

No real new transitions, DS is already in a big bed and very independent.  If anything, maybe trying to teach him to wipe his own butt?  Any tips on that?  Haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt for DD we got those flushable wipes to teach her how to wipe. They clean the bottom better and are less messy than toilet paper.  Then we transitioned her to toilet paper once she figured it out. 
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 10.5, size of the golden snitch

How many kids do you already have? Ages? DD 2

How are your other kids doing this week? Last week was not the best, but this week she has been pretty perfect

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? follow up appt friday, after the radiologist ultrasound, hoping all is good and I can move on with just enjoying it. 

DD is in the crib converted to a toddler bed. we will reuse her crib and get her a new toddler bed but it should be easy. She is just starting to be interested in potty. Hoping we can have her trained by christmas (she will be about 2.5) to get her ready for the new baby
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @kangstadt for DD we got those flushable wipes to teach her how to wipe. They clean the bottom better and are less messy than toilet paper.  Then we transitioned her to toilet paper once she figured it out. 
    I second the flushable wipes. They are awesome and super helpful. We are still working on getting DD fully on her own but they definitely make it easier. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• How far along are you? How big is baby?  13+2  The size of a lemon, or a peach, or scoop of ice cream, or post it note.  I find these all to be different sizes though haha.

How many kids do you already have? Ages?  3 1/2 year old twin girls

How are your other kids doing this week?  Doing great.  Loving our huge dump of snow.  All they talk about is making a snowman!

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions?  I finally told my boss and she jumped out of her chair to hug me.  I'm so glad she's so happy for me.  She encouraged me to also tell the other lawyer who  **TW just told us his cancer has returned and he will be going off work again, not sure if he'll return END TW**  but when I did I felt like an ass.  He and I haven't worked together for very long and I felt like a jerk rubbing my wonderful news in his face.  He didn't really care and I totally get it.  I felt so awkward.

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? Eg crib to bed, potty training, new bedroom.  I don't think we'll be doing much.  My kids are in those Ikea cribs that turn to toddler beds and they happily share a room.  Thankfully we have enough bedrooms to fit 3 kids but I don't think the twins want to be separated.  They sleep better when they're together.  Potty training is going great but like @kangstadt we need to work on wiping butts  :s 
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @blueberrymomma and @thatbaintforbetty, I had thought of those, but thought they weren't recommended for septic systems?  We have issues with our system as is (our downstairs bathroom is basically unusable because it doesn't have enough pitch to go down to the septic), and I didn't want to cause more problems with clogs....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt I’m not sure about if they are okay for septic. I know there are some on amazon that you might be able to find out more info on. I buy them from Walmart in like a 3 pack, they would probably have more info on their website. You could always call a plumber that deals with septic systems and ask an opinion? 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• @mermaidca where do you live that you already got a lot of snow!?

How far along are you? How big is baby? 11+4

How many kids do you already have? Ages?  DD - 2

How are your other kids doing this week? No complaints.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? I'm tired of feeling like crap after 4pm.

We are going to get her a twin bed this weekend and get it set up next weekend. We also REALLY need to work on potty training. But she is a strong willed child and just doesn't want to do it.
  • @mrstmoose I'm in Alberta, Canada - record snow fall, the most since 1950.  While it is early, we almost always are guaranteed snow by Halloween.  Other cities have sent their snow plows to help because it's just so freaking much.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @kangstadt we have a septic system and haven’t had a problem but I know some people do 
  • @kangstadt and @mermaidca we also need wiping help.  I feel like DS must have short arms because he really does seem to struggle to do it ha.  DH works for a plumbing company and he would kill me if I started doing flushable wipes. I think we might need to go back to a sticker chart deal for the wiping.  I was hoping he would keep his morning poop schedule and DC would deal with teaching him but lo and behold as soon as he started DC he became a nighttime pooper. 

How far along are you? How big is baby? 12w4d - plum? green army guy?

How many kids do you already have? Ages? DS - 3.5

How are your other kids doing this week? He's good.  He's still fighting bedtime and therefore being A BEAR in the mornings. I need DH to start waking up and helping with him before I get even more pregnant and it becomes unmanageable.  DS has a STRONG mom preference in the morning so this transition will take a while. 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Don't think so!

He'll end up in a new bedroom once we build it. 
  • @lyse01 ugh, the biting!  My son is toothless and he still hurts me, so I can't even imagine how much it hurts you!  I'm so ready to give up but I'm determined to avoid formula.  Good for you making it to 16 months, I for sure won't!
    @thatbaintforbetty sorry to hear you're still not feeling well, I'm right there with you!
    @blueberrymomma good luck with the potty training, glad it's going ok so far!  I'm not even close but I'm dreading that milestone.
    @kangstadt glad your little guy is feeling better!

How far along are you? How big is baby?
     11 weeks, a lime

How many kids do you already have? Ages?  One 9 month old boy

How are your other kids doing this week?  He's good!  Really animated and happy, but I cannot get him to stop freaking eating, day or night!  We've been all over the map with table food because he wants everything we're eating (on top of his very frequent and large baby meals), and I just give it to him because no matter how much he has I still can't get him off my boob most of the night.  Oh well...

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions?  Just impatiently waiting for my NIPT results!

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? Eg crib to bed, potty training, new bedroom.  I need to get him in his crib for the whole night before the baby comes.  Right now, he usually sleeps half the night in his crib and then the second half in our bed when he's ready for his marathon eating binge.  He loves it in our bed, obviously, so like @lyse01 said, I don't want him to feel displaced by the baby and need to fix our sleep problems before April.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1. 10+5. The size of a strawberry. 

2. 1, DD, 18mo. 

3. Doing well. She’s been doing a great job of entertaining herself with no tv needed. 🙌🏻 She has three teeth coming in though, so she’s chewing on everything. 

4. Massive headache today. Wish I could take something stronger than Tylenol, alas. Tried a little caffeine. 

5. We’re hoping to transition DD to a toddler bed but I have no idea how that will go. It might not work. We need to turn our office into her room, which will require new paint, light fixture, removal of popcorn ceiling. And we’ll be turning our basement spare room into a playroom. 
    12 weeks, 6 days—scoop of ice cream

3 kids—13, 12, 8

Good, busy with sports and school.

Raves-food. It’s so good. I feel like I’m always hungry. Concerns—see my “raves” lol

Moving. We need to live closer to my work with a baby on the way. A crazy commute was one thing with older kids, but will not work with a baby. So we need to move to the city.
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 9 weeks 4 days, size of a soda can tab

How many kids do you already have? Ages? one DD, 2 in a few weeks!

How are your other kids doing this week? She's fantastic. Cranky pants, but as long as she's sleeping well, I am NOT going to complain!

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Nursing is really annoying right now. DH is also being annoying about it "Are you weaning her or not?" No, I'm not. I just don't want to nurse her at 6am because I feel like shit, so stop questioning me. There is a difference between weaning and avoiding a session because I'm tired and not feeling well. I'm a regular ball o' sunshine over here.

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? Eg crib to bed, potty training, new bedroom. She'll stay in her own crib (and bedroom) after new baby arrives, so no transition necessary there. Unless she starts climbing out of her crib. We'll do potty training if she exhibits signs of readiness, but I'm not gonna shoot for a certain date.
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • @blueberrymomma To your son not wanting to potty in public - my youngest goddaughter had the same issue.  Her parents had an SUV and wound up keeping a training potty in the trunk.  Any time she had to go when they were out, she just went in the back of the car!  It was a ridiculously silly set-up, but it got the job done!

@catherineclaire78 Ugh, the moving/commute dilemma.  When my daughter was born, we moved to the burbs, giving my husband and I each an hour long commute.  We couldn't afford day care plus a house in the city.  Shortly after, I wound up applying for a job in our town and was offered it - with a 23K pay cut.  I turned it down, but I question if I'll regret that choice when we have two LOs to wrangle.  How are you dealing with your move situation?

How far along are you? How big is baby? 11 + 6, a lime.  I just want the second tri to be here already!

How many kids do you already have? Ages? N (DD) - almost 8 months old

How are your other kids doing this week? N is doing well - happy and wonderful as ever!  She's been in day care for a month now and she still isn't sleeping well there (she'll usually get 6ish hours of nap time in during the day at home - at day care, 1.5 if we're lucky).  As much as I want to play with her and kiss her up, I'm learning to let her nap as soon as we get home because it's what she needs.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? I'm just having so much trouble balancing it all right now.  N was born in February, we bought our house in April, I had surgery in June, in August we found out about this LO, and in September my husband and I started simultaneous full time work for the first time since N was born.  It's SO MUCH CHANGE in such a short period of time, and I'm struggling to keep up.  Now that the first tri fatigue is fading, I'm trying to get some systems in place to help manage everything.  I'll take any advice anyone has to offer!

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? N is still sleeping in our room (in her crib).  We planned on moving her to her own room in August, but I wasn't ready, and then we didn't want to do it right when she started day care.  We're redoing her room.  We've removed wood paneling and spackled.  Still need to paint, replace the molding, and have new carpet installed.  We're hoping to have her in there by the end of the month!
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 13w2d - jalepeno baby

How many kids do you already have? Ages? 2 year old DD

How are your other kids doing this week? She's good, we did the pumpkin patch Sunday and she absolutely loved it! Hasn't been too bad of a week so far.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? My back is still acting up here and there. I pulled it two weeks ago and just thought it would be feeling better than it does. It comes and goes but when I want to get stuff down around the house I'm stuck on the couch unable to move freely. I'm ready to get back to normal.

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? Eg crib to bed, potty training, new bedroom She's done all the big transitions and we got the potty training done over labor day weekend. Baby is going to be sleeping in our room for at least the first 6 months so the biggest thing is trying to break her habit of coming by mommy and daddy to sleep by us in the middle of the night. Doesn't happen often but it happens enough to make me worried for when the baby gets here. Jealousy might rear it's head...

• @ashtuesday I was thinking about the potty in the trunk. Glad to know it worked for someone else. Did your goddaughter grow out of not wanting to pee in public?
  • @blueberrymomma Yes!  Albeit, it may have been a year or so after she actually potty trained. But she got there lol
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 10 weeks and 2 days. Size of a petite four. 

How many kids do you already have? Ages? One boy - 21 months 

How are your other kids doing this week? B has had some MAJOR temper tantrums this week. But, Daycare said he was being extra sweet today giving out lots of hugs and kisses. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? When I start thinking of having a newborn and toddler, I begin freaking out. What did I get myself into?! I know we will all figure out a routine, but it’s still so scary. 

We’re going to transition B to a twin bed for Christmas and then hoping to also cut out the pacifier before the baby comes. I have high hopes of potty training, but I don’t think he’ll be ready by April. 
  • @ashtuesday I know it’s such a trade off. My commute is at least an hour each way, which makes it especially hard because I work long hours. There’s not a huge focus on facetime, so I can work from home sometimes but I am much more productive at the office. We are definitely worried about the higher cost in the city, and day care is a fortune, but there are t really any day cares in the area we currently live, so we’d need to do a nanny and that’s never worked very well for us in the past. You have had a very busy 8 months!  I think you will adjust to the routine. But, yes two full time working parents always is a big juggling act, right?
  • @catherineclaire78 No day care options in your current town is definitely an added motivation to go - I've never been comfortable with the idea of a nanny myself.  My commute is an hour and ten minutes door to door, but I ride the train, so I can get stuff done - and I'm a teacher, so my hours are pretty fair.  I knew it would be a chaotic juggling act, but boy, knowing and living it are two different things!
  • lyse01lyse01 member
    edited October 2018
    So, I think I figured out why DD was biting, and it’s a lack of milk (14+2). Like, I can’t get any out by manual expression. She continues to do some non-nutritive sucking in the morning and right before sleep, and hopefully will make a habit of last night’s no-biting. 

@kangstadt are you homeschooling for pre-k only or planning to continue into elementary?

@ashtuesday what a doozy of a year. I’m impressed.
  • @lyse01, is that common when pregnant to have your supply reduce?  I hope she continues the no-biting trend for you!

I'm planning on homeschooling as long as it works for us.  I was homeschooled until college, and I always planned on homeschooling my kiddos too.  My husband is more open to letting our son do public school if he wants to when he's older, but where we live now it isn't the best school district so I would be just as happy to homeschool all the way through.

@ashtuesday and @catherineclaire78, you guys are heroes.  I can't imagine an hour commute.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt very common. Or for it to change to colostrum and for older children to wean themselves because they don’t like the taste.

ive always been intrigued by homeschooling (and all the awesome homeschooler programs I’m seeing in my area - art at the art museum, library programs, farm programs, nautical programs at seaside museums), but never been quite sure I want to do it. We also talk about sailing around the world, or at least for a year when the kids are older, and that would definitely mean me homeschooling.
  • eli_belleeli_belle member
    edited October 2018
    How far along are you? How big is baby? 12w2d, plum

How many kids do you already have? Ages? DD-5, DS-2

How are your other kids doing this week? DD has been having difficulty wanting to go to school. She says she misses us. Her teacher thinks that it is part of the transition from half day to full day. We had a girls day out last weekend and bought her a locket to wear to school. We put a picture of DH and I in it. So she can see us any time she is feeling sad and missing us.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Finally feel like I am turning the corner symptom wise. My nausea isn't gone but seems more manageable. I also am feeling a bit more energy and motivation. I am hoping to spend more time meal planning and prepping now. Hopefully make some healthier eating choices.

What transition are you going to try to make before baby arrives? Eg crib to bed, potty training, new bedroom. We will transition the upstairs playroom into the nursery. We aren't in much of a hurry though since LO will probably room with us for the first 6 months anyway. Just starting to think about colors and decorating themes. We also will need a car with a third row since we will have three in carseats/boosters. We are shopping minivans now.

ETA: Ummm week 12 not week 11
  • @lyse01, I'm a huge proponent of homeschooling, but obviously it doesn't work for everyone (just like public/cyber/private/etc school doesn't work for everyone).  If it's a fit for your family, it's great and there are usually a lot of resources you can find.  I'm just starting to be more active in my homeschool group here, and it's awesome to be around parents with similar goals and lifestyles for their kids.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me!  I know some parents who homeschool just for preschool/kindergarten too due to the cost associated with daycare/private schools.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @eli_belle the locket is a cute idea! We just got a mini van, Chrysler Pacifica. So much more room than my SUV. The kids love it too. We will see how it handles the snow this winter 
  • @eli_belle and @blueberrymomma, my DH jpked that I need an SUV or minivan since I watch my nephew two days a week so thst would make three carseats in my Prius... I'm not ready to give up my baby yet though!

Any advice STMs on narrow carseats that can fit three across?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt Diono Radian! I have a subcompact car and it's so nice and narrow.  I mean I'm still getting a bigger car because we will have 3 across basically everyday but I love my Radian. 
  • @kangstadt fellow homeschooled and future homeschooler here. I’m researching preschool already but DD is only 18mo so I’m mostly just pinning things on my Pinterest board. Haha. 
  • @eli_belle the locket is a cute idea! We just got a mini van, Chrysler Pacifica. So much more room than my SUV. The kids love it too. We will see how it handles the snow this winter 
    The Pacifica is at the top of our list. Our car was in the shop this week so we took the opportunity to rent a one for a extended "test drive." The funny thing is that it will be DH's primary car. He loved it! lol! 

I am concerned about how it handles snow though. We are considering an AWD Toyota Sienna just for that reason but the price tag is a little higher than we were wanting to spend.
  • We're in the new car market too - this will be baby #2 for us, but we also have two dogs (20 and 65 lb), and my Prius can't handle the whole crew.  We're going third row SUV because my husband can't handle turning 30 and buying a minivan in the same year 😂
  • We're in the new car market too - this will be baby #2 for us, but we also have two dogs (20 and 65 lb), and my Prius can't handle the whole crew.  We're going third row SUV because my husband can't handle turning 30 and buying a minivan in the same year 😂
    SAME. DH has a minivan that my grandparents passed down and he doesn't get why I'm like NO. I WILL NOT GET A VAN YET. Third row SUV if at all possible!
  • @MRDCle @ashtuesday  I’m glad to see I’m not the only one on team no minivan. My mom loved hers and is always trying to talk me into one whenever we mention possibly replacing our SUV. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• @eli_belle I really wanted the AWD Toyota too, but I agree with the price tag and it’s hard to find a decent used AWD one. Plus I actually preferred the driving of the Pacifica. We had one for 10 days as our rental for spring break and even DH, who used to be 110% anti minivan enjoys driving it. 

@kangstadt I second the Radian. I don’t have one but everyone I know who have 3 across in their vehicles swear by them. If you go to BuyBuy Baby they let you try out car seats in you car so you can see how they fit
  • I personally found trying to access the third row of an SUV to be way more cumbersome and difficult than a minivan. Bring on the stereotypes and flexibility.