Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

First Walking Shoes for Tiny Feet

My daughter is 13 months old and not walking yet, but learning.  I usually don’t put anything on her feet, but she will be starting preschool this week and will need to start wearing some type of shoes.  My problem is she’s tiny for her age: 13lbs 7oz and her feet measure about 3”.  She has a couple pairs of shoes, one size NB and one 0-3 month but they have no grip on the bottom so her feet slide when she does try to practice walking.  Any suggestions on where to find tiny shoes with some grip/traction?!  Thank you!

Re: First Walking Shoes for Tiny Feet

• If you can't find something, you can always put some sort of grippy on yourself. I know someone who just used dots of caulking on the bottom, and it worked great. Things I've heard of that you could try but that I've never seen used in person so I can't attest to how well it works are rubber cement, silicone, puffy paint and hot glue. Sewing stores like Joann's might have something specifically made for that purpose.

If you Google something like "diy non slip baby shoes," a lot of videos pop up with ways different people have converted socks or shoes into non-slip. 
  • darlenev-2darlenev-2 member
    edited March 2019
    My mom got my DD a pair of Soft Star Shoes when she was little and she finally could wear them at about 12 months (tiny feet) but if you go on their website you can size them based on your child’s foot measurements AND they are awesome for little toddler walking and learning to walk with shoes on. Good quality materials. A bit on the expensive side but they have sales as well. DD is 18 months now and we just got her another two pairs. Hoping I can hand them down to someone else or reuse them for kiddo #2!