February 2019 Moms

Delivery Hospital - what would you do?

I'm pregnant with #3. Mid-pregnancy with #2 I switched OB's and I looooove my doctor. She just told me she's changing delivery hospitals. Both of my babies were born at the other hospital,  so was I.  It's approximately 30 minutes closer to my house (still an hour away,  but it's the closest one). There are some hospital policies I don't agree with at the new hospital. Our pediatrician does not serve the new delivery hospital. OB said she could still drive over to the old hospital "if she was available". 
What do you girls think? Do I go to the old hospital and risk having the on call doctor deliver me? Or do I go to the new one with the doc I love? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Delivery Hospital - what would you do?

• I mean, it really depends on how much you liked the nurses and other staff at the old hospital, how much you like your ped., and how much you like to sit in the car while in labor... Unless you're having some really complicated or high-risk birth in which you'll be heavily relying on the doctor, I feel like the nursing staff and hospital policies will play a bigger role in the whole thing.
    Maybe flip a coin? :D
  • edited September 2018
    Also, have you introduced yourself in the "Introduce Yourself Here" thread? This is a tight community, and we like to get to know the people who post here so that it's not some anonymous-feeling board.

Edited because this app sucks.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would probably stick with the closest hospital unless I was high risk. Not because of the sentimental of delivering everyone at the same place, but for practical purposes. 90 minutes is a freaking LONG drive for a woman in labor and is not practical. 
  • I’d tend to lean towards the closer hospital, personally. Especially since there are already practices with the new hospital you are having difficulties with. 90 minutes is a long drive for a hospital you’re not super comfortable with. 
  • I would stick with the closer hospital and hope that your doctor can make it. Our pediatrician doesn’t do hospital visits so that wouldn’t be a huge deal for me, but I think distance plus the hospital policy issues I would stick with what you know 
  • Thanks ladies. I'm glad I'm not alone in my feelings on this. As long as everything is going smoothly I'll probably stick with the closer hospital. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sjnsjnsjnsjnsjnsjn member
    edited October 2018
    That's a good choice especially because having "your" OB delivering you is never a guarantee unless you schedule your induction or C for when they are definitely working!
  • A longer drive would be a huge turn off for me unless the closer hospital was downright bad. 
  • Echoing everyone else, the closer hospital is the better option. You must really love your OB since it sounds like she’s the only good thing about the new hospital! Fingers crossed she’ll be able to travel for you, and if not I hope whoever takes her place is just as good.
  • As a labor nurse, I would say closer hospital. You are familiar there and know what to expect. Also, doctors spend maybe 10-20 minutes with you during delivery and then round on you once a day so I wouldn’t make a decision solely on the OB being there
  • I actually switched OB’s this pregnancy (baby # 3 for me) so that I could deliver at the closer hospital - the one I delivered at previously is 30 minutes without traffic. Certainly not the end of the world to make that drive but my thought was that with two other kids to balance schedules for, I needed to make sure we were in the most convenient place for everyone. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker