November 2018 Moms

Ask Me Anything: Third Tri, Labor/Delivery Edition

2»

Re: Ask Me Anything: Third Tri, Labor/Delivery Edition

• I was dilated 4 cm for almost a month before my induction. My MW was sure I'd go into labor early but I didn't. I walked a ton, ate so much pineapple, bounced on the ball, had sex as many times a day as DH was able, ate the Kraft mac w/ Worcestershire sauce, drank some tea my MIL recommended, used my breast pump, had my membranes swept....DD was still 2 weeks late and had to be induced. Either I had an exceptionally stubborn baby or all of those labor-inducing tricks really just come down to luck. 

@lachnessmomster The only reason I can think of for being induced would be meconium poisoning/aspiration. My c-section is scheduled for a week before my due date and I don't totally understand why they have to schedule a week early. My MW gave me the reasoning 8 months ago but of course I've forgotten lol.

• Bumping this to ask: Those of you that have been induced, can you tell me about the process? I want to go about this with eyes wide open if I can. Also, anyone been induced with a VBAC?
  • Loading the player...
  • I have to agree with @offtoneverland. With my first, my water broke and no contractions started. I labored on my own for 12 hours when I finally gave in to pitocin. The pitocin contractions were way worse, so I quickly asked for an epidural once they administered pitocin. Once pitocin started and my epi was in, my labor picked up and I started progressing. My daughter was born 5.5 hours later. With my son, my water broke and contractions started immediately. I was able to labor to a 7 or so before I really felt I was at my breaking point and needed the epi. If you know you want the epidural, I would ask for it upfront right as they start to administer the induction drugs. The difference in pain between the two (pitocin vs my body doing it naturally) was pretty drastic for me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @wannaflickone Out of curiosity, when did your water break with your first and when did it break with your second? I know it differs from person to person, but I've been anxious to find out if my water is going to break again with this one or not and whether it might happen a little earlier! Haha. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland my water broke at 39+4 with my first and at 39 weeks with my second.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• May be a silly question, but can your epidural wear off if you get it too early or labor too long? I am all about getting it as soon as I can, but wondering if that runs the risk of it not being as strong when I really need it!
  • @wildrainbow I was scheduled to be induced with VBAC (ended up going into labor on my own 3 days before), but my OB discussed the induction process with me. I was slightly dilated, so her plan was to give me a tiny bit of Pitocin then break my water. If contractions stayed steady on my own they would keep me on the small dose of pit and let labor happen. If I didn't have contractions, it would have been a repeat CS. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @eahayes not sure if it can actually wear off because you get it too soon or labor too long, but mine stopped working. Not sure why, but maybe it was a placement issue? They tried to adjust my meds but what ended up happening was my legs went completely numb, but I still felt the contractions. By that point I was like 9cm dilated and they didn’t want to mess with anymore medications because it was time to start pushing. 
  • @wildrainbow I was induced with #2. I know there are lots of induction horror stories, but my body seemed to be ready, and I had a fast/good experience. I was already 3 cm, not effaced at my 39 weeks appt, then 3-4 cm and 25% effaced when admitted on induction day with irregular contractions for weeks. They went to start pitocin while waiting for the OB to come break my water, and I told them I NEEDED my epidural before my water was broken, since it progressed me so fast the first time (4 cm to 9 in like 40 mins as a FTM), but he was in surgery, so I had to wait. They broke my water, the same thing happened (I only needed pitocin for about 10 mins - I probably didn’t actually need it at all, just my water broken), and I went from 4 cm to 9 in a VERY short time, they got me an epidural, but it couldn’t catch up, they gave me something for the pain via IV but told me I needed to wait to push if I could so whatever it was could wear off (aaahhhh), the anesthesist came back and turned up my epidural, which did work (and both times, I could still feel my contractions/when to push), aaaaaand a little less than 90 mins after my water was broken and about 45 mins of pushing (all of that stuff happened super fast), DD2 was born sunny side up.

@eahayes I don’t think an epidural can wear off,  but I progressed too quickly for one to catch up - the anesthesist was able to come back and turn it up before I started pushing. I’m planning on getting one like the second I’m admitted this time! 

BabyFruit Ticker

• I was induced with both girls, and was about 4 cm for a couple weeks before each induction. DD1 they took it easy on me at first, started it then broke my water about an hour after they started the pitocin and brought it up slowly. DD2 they hiked it up faster, broke my water, but I wasn't in labor as long. The contractions with DD1 weren't as bad, they were pretty awful with DD2 but she was delivered sunny side up and the back labor was intense. Both times it helped to be able to walk around and keep things moving and hanging out in the tub when it was super intense was helpful. Also back massage during back labor is helpful.