March 2019 Moms
Options

UTI... Not again

Had my first OBGYN appointment Wednesday and unfortunately I have another UTI. When I say another, i mean 3rd time and I'm only 12 weeks. Doc sending my urine away for testing before prescribing anything. However, now I'm sitting with painful urination with some blood, kidney pain and toilet trips every hour like clock work!
I have no idea what to do to relieve the pain... Help?

Re: UTI... Not again

• Options
    JLaVO888JLaVO888 member
    edited September 2018
    Only meds will help with that. But once you get this one gone start taking a large dose of cranberry pills. I’ve suffered dozens of UTIs and that’s the only thing that’s kept them away. OB said it was safe to keep taking them when I asked her last pregnancy.

I know your pain so I fully empathize and had to answer but try to make and intro and check out the rules of the board next time please. 

ETA: if the lab results are going to take a few days there is this orange pill that can relieve the pain and burning that stains your urine orange. I’m not sure if it’s safe during pregnancy but you could call and ask. Sorry I don’t know the name of it. 
  • Options
    Sorry you’re suffering again. Hope it gets better soon!

This may or may not be helpful: my bestie used to get UTIs ALL the time. It turns out she was allergic to her SO’s sperm. Something about the pH, I think. Maybe something to ask your doctor, if this is even a possibility...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've only had one UTI but I read drinking water helps so I chugged water like it was my day job (not the most appealing thought when urination is painful, I know, but I didn't have a doctor's appointment until the next day and was desperate to do something proactive). It must have worked because by the time I went to my doctor's appointment next day, my UTI test was negative. Since my symptoms were so textbook UTI, the doctor figures I flushed it out on my own.
    Sorry to hear you're suffering! Good luck!
  • Options
    I am a big fan of the Azo cranberry supplements. Whenever I get a hint of a uti starting I take those for a few days and it clears up. I had a horrible uti once and never want to relive that pain! Hugs!
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    I used to get frequent UTIs as well. They were always associated with sex. I went to a urologist and was actually prescribed a low does antibiotic that I take at or about the time I have sex. It’s called macrobid (although my on switched to a different one during my first trimester). Since being prescribed the antibiotic I have had zero infections. Worth looking into maybe 
  • Options
    I began to get one last pregnancy, and my midwives recommended Cystex. It uses the ingredients in cranberries, but you don't have to drink gallons of cranberry juice to get the benefits, lol. It worked great. And you can take it every day to help keep everything healthy. 
  • Options
    I used to get UTIs constantly - it turns out I'm sensitive to spermicide. Once I stopped using birth control that had spermicide in it I have not gotten one since, aside from the one I got from the catheter when I had my first baby.
  • Options
    The orange pill @JLaVO888 is talking about is called peridium and will help you feel better quick. Avo makes it over the counter. However, I am not sure if it’s safe for pregnancy so ask the doc or the pharmacist. I get UTIs like crazy, always have and this helps a lot if you are allowed to take it. Good luck!