Tips for how to keep my iron levels up? — The Bump
Health & Exercise

Tips for how to keep my iron levels up?

Hey ladies! I'm looking for some tips on how to keep my iron levels high, this is my first pregnancy. I have a blood disorder so I gotta make sure everything is okay with it during this time. My doctor said I have low iron levels so I need to find ways to keep it up, I'm currently taking iron supplements but it doesn't seem to be working that well, any tips or tricks for me?

Re: Tips for how to keep my iron levels up?

• Lots of dark leafy green vegetables and red meat. 

Last pregnancy, I was very high in iron. My mdiwives were surprised and asked if I was already taking iron supplements. I said no,  not beyond what was included in a standard prenatal. So then they asked if I ate lots of red meat and leafy greens to which I said yes to the meat and less so to the leafy greens. They said that must be why. I eat red meat usually two meals a day if not three. It definitely helps! 
  • Beef and chicken liver are high in iron. Take Vit C also to help your body absorb iron better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Unfortunately my iron levels are now so low I'm getting an iron transfusion next week, I'm horrified cause I've never done anything like it before
  • Unfortunately my iron levels are now so low I'm getting an iron transfusion next week, I'm horrified cause I've never done anything like it before
    There's nothing to be scared of! I had the same problem with my iron level. I've tried two different supplements over the past two years but my level hasn't gone up. Las year though, I went to a hematologist who told me my body just wasn't able to absorb the iron so they suggested I get an iron transfusion. So they basically gave me iron through an IV and I've had two transfusions so far and I feel SO much better now.