April 2019 Moms
Options

MoMs Check-in - Sept.

How many weeks are you? 

How have appointments been? Any health concerns? 

What type of multiples are you having? How are you feeling about multiples?

Rants/Raves/Questions/Concerns/What's going on, ladies? 
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: MoMs Check-in - Sept.

• Options
    @mamma_swede :) 

How many weeks are you? 11w2d

How have appointments been? Any health concerns? Not much yet. Found out yesterday we're 99% Mo/Di so that brings up more health concerns. I'll be in for biweekly US after 16w and probably more appointments with my OB as well. NT looked great though! And we saw four arms, four legs, two heads, and two heartbeats!

What type of multiples are you having? How are you feeling about multiples? Mo/Di Twins! Freaking out still a little - nervous about a possible CS and NICU time. 

Rants/Raves/Questions/Concerns/What's going on, ladies? Ugh. Just still the mental load of preparing for 2 vs 1 along with the fact that I still feel like garbage.  
  • Options
    How many weeks are you? 
    10 weeks 2 days

How have appointments been?  
    So far so good, but I feel like I haven't gotten to see much yet (haven't had an US since September 3rd). I've also been told that there will be additional US at the hospital once I'm further along, but no details on that yet. Hopefully we will know more after our US on Oct 15th. 

Any health concerns?
    I've been told I'm in the risk zone for gestational diabetes because of weight, family history and the added risk when expecting twins, so I'm doing an early glucose test to see it things are ok. Feeling a bit worried about it, but can't do much other than try to avoid sugar at the moment. 

What type of multiples are you having? How are you feeling about multiples?
    We don't know yet, but all is pointing towards Di/Di. I'm so excited to have two, especially since we have no kids from before and both just love babies and kids and we're both a bit older, so we've been waiting for this for a long time. At the same time though, we live in a 70 square metre apartment (1br, livingroom, kitchen + half room), so I'm a little worried about how we're all gonna fit! 

Rants/Raves/Questions/Concerns/What's going on, ladies? 
    Just want to get to October 15th and see the babies again!!!! Also really excited to have a have a bugaboo donkey twin now residing in our livingroom (lol!). We decided it was the most practical one for our small place and elevators that still holds 2 babies and managed to find one for 1/3 of the price from a family that was getting rid of theirs. Score! Have you guys thought about practicalities like strollers/beds etc yet? I feel like I'm running away a bit, but I can't help it. Need to prepare!   :D 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Found it!

So here it goes..

7W5D, found out last week, we are still asking each other if this is true? haha
    Not many appointments yet but will meet with my OB soon. Bloods and scans so far ok. Fraternal twins.

Very nervous about having twins, as we aleady have a toddler and planned for one more, but nonetheless, very excited also :)
    What sucks is that I'll have to move states half way through my pregnancy (writing from NewZealand btw!!) and change docs, house and the whole shabang!

• Options
    mrstmoosemrstmoose member
    edited September 2018
    I'm loving that we have moms from all different countries - I can't wait to see the differences in parenting/maternity leave/etc!
  • Options
    Would be cool to compare notes too!

The system here in NZ is usually pretty good in terms of pre and post natal. My first delivery had some complications but we were looked after so well! A bit nervous this time to shift states half way through but oh well. Just got my referral sorted to an obstetrician and can't wait for my first appt. to hear what they have to say.
  • Options
    Yeah, I haven't written much about the benefits of having babies here in Sweden because I don't want to sound spoiled lol. One of the reasons we moved back here from Canada was to start a family in a place where we get long and paid mat/pat leave + all free health care during pregnancy and until the kids are 18. We will have 18 months paid leave (6 months has to be taken by the dad otherwise you just get 12 months) and additionally we also get a small bursary/month/kid from the government. Because me and DH both work in the university system (he's a PhD student and I'm a postdoc) the Canadian system wouldn't offer us anything really (at least not while I was a PhD) whereas here we get better paid and even unemployed moms get a minimum amount being on mat leave.

However, having two babies at the same time doesn't double the time off you get (which a lot of people think it should). And we might end up taking more time off together to make ends meet.

I really appreciate how standard it is for men to take pat leave here, all the guys I know have taken at least 6 months, and you always see dad's out and about with strollers and kids in town. I know DH is very excited for it and will probably argue to split 50/50 with me. 
  • Options
    Hahaha and I feel grateful I get 14 weeks paid. Though I'm getting nervous that we might run into NICU time so I might want to extend it. We can take up to 6 months, but after the initial 14 it's unpaid.  We'll see how everything plays out!
  • Options
    lyse01lyse01 member
    edited September 2018
    *singleton lurker*
    @MRDCle I seriously considered working during the NICU rather than using all my maternity leave before DD even got home. It did not happen for a number of reasons including commutes. But it can be an option for some NICU parents if the leave is flexible. 
  • Options
    lyse01 said:
    *singleton lurker*
    @MRDCle I seriously considered working during the NICU rather than using all my maternity leave before DD even got home. It did not happen for a number of reasons including commutes. But it can be an option for some NICU parents if the leave is flexible. 
    I talked to my husband about that too as a possibility last night. I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I really want to make sure all things are considered for different possibilities if I can.
  • Options
    @MRDCle eh, never to early to plan. When DD arrived at 26 weeks, my boss had not actually figured out what my maternity leave would look like. I had outlined what I thought should happen while I was on leave for a smooth transition, but no one had really engaged with that plan.

I’d recommend going through some what-ifs to figure out who works, who cares for babies, who cares for older children:
    - What if one or both babies are in a distant level IV NICU rather than the local Level III NICU? 
    - What if the babies are in separate NICUs, or in a hospital other than Mom?
    - What if the babies are in the feeder&grower stage? (Or aren’t)
    - what if you want/need to be at rounds between 8&10 am?
    - What if you can only work p/t because of procedures happening at unscheduled times?
    - What if one baby comes home before the other?

I mean, hopefully you never need any of this, but I’d always feel better with a preliminary plan to deviate from rather than trying to figure out a plan at the same time as dealing with complex, unfamiliar medical terms and procedures.
  • Options
    @MRDCle I hope you figure out something with your work in case of NICU. Probably good to be proactive.

I think 14 weeks will probably be good too, it just interesting here, because everyone takes long mat leave, but after that I don't know anyone who went on to be a stay at home  mom, so maybe it compensates a bit that you get to spend the whole first year with the kid.