Infertility

FET in October, should I do one or two?

Hello, I am in the midst of medications in preparation for FET  on October 12th. Anybody out there doing the same? I have been on Lupron and will start Estrace and Estradiol patch tomorrow.  Am a bit nervous....I hate taking medications so am hoping someone can join me in this journey. I am also thinking about what I want to do.  I'll spare you the long story, but I have two viable embryos that have tested well (PGS).  My doc says that he rather transfer one at a time, but I don't think I want to keep doing this.  I have gone through 3 IUIs, 2 rounds of IVF stimulation, and just turned 37. I think I am ready to accept my story in this chapter and move on. Anybody going thru a similar scenario? Anybody have anything positive to share from a similar scenario? Thank you and hoping to hear from someone. -M

Re: FET in October, should I do one or two?

• @MSDarmanin you’ve gone through a lot to get this far. I would do 1 at a time w pgs normal if your doc is recommending one. I’ve heard that a frozen transfer isn’t as bad as a whole fresh cycle. But that’s just my perspective. I hope the FET works!!
  • anaredanared member
    edited September 2018
    @MSDarmanin The FET preparation is not as bad as the stims. It is less medications and they are not as involved. I did 6 IUIs and my first IVF stimulation in July. I am preparing for my first FET. I have been to the doctor three times in three weeks so it is certainly not as time consuming as stims. I only have one PGS normal embryo so I will transfer just one, but my RE had told us at the consultation that he recommends doing one at a time in the event we had more- just because multiples are higher risk, and I would want to be as low risk as possible since I have to go through all of this. I know this process sucks and its hard to do it over again, but talk to your doctor about what the chances are for transferring one vs. two embryos. Good Luck!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I transferred two untested embryos for my FET last August. The doctor was ok with doing two since they were untested. I think two pgs normals might be a bit risky but it’s ultimately your choice. Twin pregnancies are higher risk and you will already be high risk as you are over 35. The prep for FET is pretty easy. Are future transfers included with your IVF/FET pkg?
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Given that your dr is recommending one at a time (in line with the national recommendations) and that you have PGS normal embryos, I would transfer one in your shoes. The risk of twins is so much higher with transferring two PGS normal. *TW IRL and on these boards I’ve seen women lose twins to things that have 0% chance of happening in singleton pregnancies. These are often heartbreaking late term losses or loss of preemie infants. En TW* 
  • I would go with what the Dr. says. I'm definitely way more on the cautious side anyway. There is a higher risk of multiples with ivf. I would check with your dr to see if they have any discounts or things like that should the 1st one not work. 
    Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MSDarmanin I would go with the RE's recommendation. PGS normal embryos have a higher chance of success. Having multiples is more risky for your health and the babies. 
    I am Embryoman - your friendly neighborhood embryologist!
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • @somewhereinnyc @anared @mbradfo2 @embryoman @Griffin5413 @zamora_spin Thank you all for your feedback. I did more research and agree that its best to be conservative and safe. Thank you for the positive energy. 
  • I am going through the same right now. I have two frozen embryos...not god tested. We did a fresh transfer last month of 1 4AA embryo which resulted in a chemical. Both of my frozen are 4BB, which my doctor says there isn’t a huge difference in success rates between As and Bs. 

I am in in the process of prepping for a frozen transfer somewhere towards the end of this month and I don’t know if to transfer 1 or both. My doctor strongly advises against transferring two by said if it was what my hubby and I wanted, he would ultimately go with our wishes. He assured me that my chances of at least one live birth is the same whether i transferred two at once, or one two times. He believes the only thing transferring two embryos increases is the likelihood of multiples. I am back and forth with what to do because i hear of a lot of success with transferring two, but I’m also scared of the complications that come along with twins. Right now i am leaning towards one as i truly trust my doctor and believe he has my best interests at heart. I just know that if I transfer one and it doesn’t work out, I will always wonder if I made the wrong decisions. 

I am interested to to hear your thoughts on the issue and which way you are leaning and why.
  • Hi Drea, I went with one. After my doc advised it and me fully understanding how multiples increases the odds of multiples and a high risk pregnancy, I decided to keep things as streamlined as possible and avoid introducing unknowns. It was a difficult decision, but I only have two viable embryos after 2 years of stims - so let's do it with as little risk as possible all the way to the end. Good luck with your transfer, mine was just yesterday.  Am going to log off from this forum for a bit to avoid going nutty. :) 
  • @MSDarmanin i have opted to go with one too, for the same reasons as u. My transfer is on the 17th. Sending you positive implanting vibes!!!!
  • I had a girl I know that did 2 tested embryos and ended up with triplets. She is happy but beyond stressed with the fact that they all stuck and one split. And now raising 3 little ones is rough. 
    I would also go with 1. Best wishes to you! 
    TTC 4 years. 7 failed IUI's with either Clomid, Femara and/or Trigger Shots. Started IVF journey in February 2017. Polyps removed in May. 1st IVF Transfer September 26th. BFP. Expected due date 6/14/18. Baby boy born 5/25/18 at 6 lb 9 oz. My bundle of joy.