January 2019 Moms

UO Thursday 9/20

2»

Re: UO Thursday 9/20

• @pttomato that type of mindset infuriates me. We already decided that DS will not be brought to the hospital to meet baby. DS is a viral induced asthmatic. I don't need him around that. I'm also asking visitors to stay away.

Re: NKOTB. I never thought they were great, however I blasted Step by Step on the way to work this morning, on repeat. Man it brought me back. 
  • Loading the player...
  • +1 for pro flu shot. I’m going to ask for it at my next OB appointment and get the ball rolling on DS’s new pediatrician so he can get it. I also need a Tdap booster. @pttomato My hospital doesn’t allow children in L & D during flu season, even siblings. I’m 100% on board with this. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • For the past 10 years I have gotten the flu shot. I started when my nephew was born and then I worked in the food industry where missing work wasn’t an option. I also was in clinical rotations where it was mandatory and this job doesn’t require it but it is just a habit now. DH hates them though and I have already had to forewarn him he is getting one, mainly because he is a teacher at a community college and I don’t want to risk DD getting sick.
    Luckily my in laws are pro flu shot (the reason I started getting them) so I won’t have to tell them.
  • UO/FFFC even though today’s Saturday but DH took us to see Hamilton last night and it was good but...

I think it’s overrated. I liked Lion King better. Sorry not sorry?
  • @kianarain I asked my doc if others around me need to get the flu shot and she said it's more for the pregnant person than the baby...that if we get it the baby will have our antibodies anyway, and it's our immune systems that are more compromised during pregnancy that we might contract the flu and have it be a lot more dangerous than if we weren't pregnant.

My wife and I have conceived a babe with my body and frozen donor sperm through IUI, with medication support (clomid, ovidrel, and injections of progesterone)

IUI #1, #2, and #3: Dec 2017, Jan 2018, and Feb 2018 - all BFN
    HSG Test: April 2018 - all clear!
    IUI #4: April 15/16, 2018 - BFP!! EDD: Jan 7, 2019 

• greenhillgirlgreenhillgirl member
    edited October 2018
    Mandamay1414 the typical 12-24 hour stomach bug is def not Norovirus. Norovirus is spread by feces and makes you so sick it can be worse than flu. I know what you mean about calling stomach bugs the flu though- it is annoying. I got Norovirus last year when my friends baby pooped on me and thought I was going to die. I was so sick from Christmas eve to a few days after I could barely drive back up to my state of residence from my parents.

I feel kind of meh on the flu shot. I never got it until I started working at my current job, where they do the quadrivalent (fights all top 4 strains, not available everywhere) in a conference room 10 feet from my office for free. Last year I was out that day and got the regular 1 strain vaccine at my doctor and then I got the flu 2 weeks after I had Norovirus! I will get it again this year if possible as I don't really see a downside.

• @greenhillgirl +1 to norovirus being SO MUCH  worse than the normal 24 hour stomach bug.  The worst of the symptoms lasted 3 days or so, but it took a lot longer to get back to 100%.  I couldn't even think about drinking coffee for 2+ weeks.  

• I know!!! @AshVA I studied in West Africa so I've been hospitalized with dysentery and Malaria and been sick a lot in my life lol. But when I got Norovirus last year I thought I was gonna die. It was Christmas morning and I dragged myself to my families couch and listened to them eat Christmas breakfast and just moaned. 
  • I am pro-flu shot as well, although I used to be ambivalent and not bother due to laziness/ general lack of guaranteed effectiveness of the vaccine. However, with pregnancy it seems really important, both for myself and our baby. The real flu is absolutely awful and can kill newborns, and reducing the risk of transmission by 50% (or whatever it will be this year) is definitely worth it to me. And I've had a cold for literally 1 month now, so know my immune system isn't functioning super well! 

FYI~ I got the flu vaccine earlier this week and it was fine. My arm was kind of sore that night but that's it. I've had to get it for work in previous years and have had other side effects, but not this time.

Also, can you *imagine* having the flu while being in labor? *shudders*
  • @merostomata Haha, flu during labor... That was a sad, scared little "haha" because it has crossed my mind several times! I got sick about a month and a half ago, maybe a little longer now, and I'm still coughing up gunk. The flu? Oh please no.
  • I don't know why but it never crossed my mind that I could have the flu during labor.  Omg that sounds absolutely awful.  I got both the TDAP and flu shot yesterday.  Hopefully I won't have to know what that's like!
  • @galactickates from what I recall, Tdap shot made my arm so sore for days!! I am also getting both Tdap and flu shots next week at my 1 hr glucose/27 wk appt. 

Let me know if these shots have any effects like feeling even more tired lol. I’m nervous to get both but I might also be ok if I don’t feel well (less travel for mtgs). 
  • @AliKay20 - They told me it would make me sore but i'm not sore at all. Jk I just touched my shoulder and it's tender. If I leave it alone it feels fine obviously. I didn't even realize it was sore until right now. 
    To be honest the flu shot hurt more then the TDAP when they gave it to me. I never look when they give it to me, and I think that helps.  I can live in needle denial :joy:
  • @AliKay20 @galactickates I got my first flu shot ever last week and the actual shot itself didn't hurt at all! I didn't even know she gave it to me until she walked away to get the band aid lol. But it was super sore for a couple days after, I would wake up if I rolled over on it when I was sleeping. For me, no symptoms other than soreness.

Next stop TDAP at my 28 week check. Hoping it will be equally as not unpleasant. 
  • TDAP always leaves my arm SO sore for days.  I've heard it helps if you rotate your arm and massage the injection site a bit to make the vaccine spread out a bit. I'll give that a shot when I get the shot soon. 

• The rhogam shot made me pretty sore too. It stings a lot going in and I felt like I had a bruise for a while.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • AshVA said:
    TDAP always leaves my arm SO sore for days.  I've heard it helps if you rotate your arm and massage the injection site a bit to make the vaccine spread out a bit. I'll give that a shot when I get the shot soon. 
    I did a lot of this with my flu shot this year, and it definitely helped. Plan to do so with my TDAP in a couple weeks! I’m really hoping it helps too because I feel like I remember the TDAP being worse.
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• I just had both the tdap and flu shot. My arm where I had the tdap hurt for days,  flu shot arm not so much and I moved both equally. 
  • I just had both this morning. Flu shot hurt more going in, but within an hour or so tdap was much more sore and still is. I’ve been rubbing if and moving my arm a bunch hoping it doesn’t get worse before it gets better.