November 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Nursing Clothes/Bras (w/o 9/17)

This week's product spotlight series is on nursing clothes and bras! S+TMs, any nursing clothes or bras you swear by? FTMs, do you have any questions about these items? 

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, click this link.

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)
*TW*
Me: 31 | DH: 33
DD1: 8/2014  <3
TTC #2: 6/2017
BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
DD2: 10/2018  <3

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Nursing Clothes/Bras (w/o 9/17)

• Options
    Kindred Bravely is where it’s at! I have the maternity/post birth recovery high waisted underwear, like 10 pair. I’ll wear them forever lol. Also have 4 of the soft nursing bras and 2 of the structured one. 

Yes, they are pricey. Listen when I say, good quality pieces like this is an investment into your postpartum recovery comfort, and it’s worth it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, for cute, stylish nursing clothes, Latched Mama has great stuff. Nice dresses, cute shirts, sweaters, hoodies. All nursing friendly.   

https://latchedmama.com/
  • Options
    Soma nursing bras! I will be getting some more, especially for the first few weeks PP. Also, I got HOFISH nursing camis. They are super comfy, I wear them now, and have amazing support. I have ginormous breasts and they work well for me with a bra. 
    @emjohn517 @offtoneverland Do y'all know if kindred bravely works for very large breasts? I haven't done much research on them since there are very few nursing bras that work for my breast size.
  • Options
    I was just thinking about this! I have had great experiences with bravado nursing bras. They also came out with an underwire version since my last pregnancy which I got and tried on and I love them! 

I can only speak to my own experience but I really felt like I had to live in nursing or button down clothes for six months. Clip down Camis are great. I think the ones from Gap are the best for quality and comfort. Throw one under a flannel button down, zip up hoodie or relaxed t shirt and you’re good to go. I also thought it was really worth having a few nicer nursing staples (sweaters, dresses, blouses) as well. Anywhere that sells maternity clothes will have these. If you are EBF it’s just really annoying to have to completely disrobe to feed the baby if you’re out and about. 

• Options
    I also love Soma nursing bras, but my heartburn is so awful that I need something not as structured right now. I need to try these Kindred ones! And for tank, I love the Gilligan O’Malley ones from
    Target. They are just as good as pricier options in my opinion.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @wannaflickone, I lived in those tanks.. Super comfy.  I need to buy more!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emjohn517 Do you mind sharing what bra size you wear? I was looking at the Marvella but wasn't sure if it would be enough coverage for me since it looks like kind of a deep V-shape.
    @wildrainbow It looks like Kindred goes up to an H or I cup, depending on the style. I'm not sure how the sizes/styles would fit though, but you could perhaps look at some of the reviews. The company also has a great exchange policy if you're not happy with the size you ordered. 
    @wannaflickone I never thought about structured bras causing more heartburn. Thanks for pointing that out! My heartburn was awful today, so I'll wear one of the Kindred ones tomorrow and see if it helps. 

I forgot to add that I also got a cute nursing nightgown from Kindred. I'm excited about wearing it after birth at the hospital. I had a tank top nursing gown last time and I didn't like how I felt with my arms and cleavage so exposed. The new nightgown is short sleeve and has nice coverage, so I think I'll feel more comfortable in it. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    @offtoneverland prepregnancy I’m a 34 DD. I had a little trouble with sizing the Marvela but KB is awesome and super quick with exchanges. There are 2 versions on this bra, one is a t shirt back, the other a clasp back. It’s super soft, very comfy for pregnancy, but the bottom is bunching up a little on my big ole belly right now lol. It’ll be great for nursing though. 

And yes on Targets nursing camis. I lived in those and zip up jackets/hoodies for months last time. 
  • Options
    I had some of these with DD and really like them.  https://www.amazon.com/iLoveSIA-3pack-Nursing-Black-Light/dp/B00YGSECLA/ref=sr_1_5?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1537276505&sr=1-5&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=ilovesia  I only nursed for about 6 weeks but I pumped for 4 months so I still liked the ease of these.

I also had some nursing tanks from Target that, like others mentioned, I just wore under button ups and whatnot.  I'm not super big on top so I didn't require a TON of support.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have a set of pajamas from Kindred Bravely that I love, and I've been oggling their bras and tanks since I'm a 36H and getting decent bras is difficult. 

Historically I've had luck with Milk Nursing Wear, again relatively pricey but totally worth it. I also have a Cake Maternity sleeping bra that I swear by.
  • Options
    Ok guys, this is probably a rookie FTM question but are nursing bras and tanks essential? I only ask because I feel like I'll probably just walk around without a bra once I'm home except for when we have company and am thinking the extra layer would be prohibitive rather than helpful? Am I being naive? Please enlighten me on what pieces you'd consider essential and why! I do have large breasts (36D) regularly if that's helpful at all? Thanks!
  • Options
    @ginny_203 I'm a SAHM. I didn't wear a bra or anything at home the first few weeks because my breasts were very engorged and bras hurt. However, after that went away, wearing a tank or bra really helped because when those suckers are full of milk, they get HEAVY. The support helped and the stretchy material wasn't constrictive. 
  • Options
    @ginny_203 I’ve been wondering the same thing! I bought a couple cheap nursing tanks from old navy but I’m also a little hesitant because I want to make sure nursing works for us first before spending a lot of money on nursing bras/clothes. I am so hopeful it will work out for us, but know so many people who it didn’t work for that I’m just cautious. Is this dumb? Do I need nursing bras before I deliver? 
  • Options
    @wildrainbow thanks for that! Makes sense about the heaviness and need for support.

@firsttimespartanmom I'm glad I'm not the only one - was feeling dumb but figured I'd ask the question anyway! I think if anything I will buy a few things from Nordstrom (or a similar store with a generous return policy) so if it doesn't work out, I can be sure I'll get my money back? 
  • Options
    @ginny_203 - I agree nursing bras and tanks were a must have for me. First once your milk comes in around day 3-5 you leak EVERYWHERE. Without a tank/bra holding my breast pads in place I would have been hot mess. Also as PP mentioned the tanks are nice because they don't leave your whole belly exposed. A lot of nursing tanks have shelf bras built in and it was supportive enough I didn't need to also wear a bra for me but I'm only a C cup. I would just buy one or two to start with and you can always get more if you need to. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    I've found myself starting to wear nursing bras just to be more comfortable. My belly has started pressing any normal bra's under wire and it's just painful. I got a 3 pack from amazon and so far so good! 
  • Options
    @ginny_203 i’m late to the boat, but i wanted to add a couple of other thoughts. for the first few weeks, my breast size fluctuated. they were a few cup sizes bigger than at the end of my pregnancy at first, then slowly shrunk to a more reasonable size— for this reason, i’m glad that i had stretchy, shelf type bras in the beginning to accomodate the change. they will last through the transition, plus with all the leaking that goes on, they get washed a ton. i’m definitely in the nursing bras are a must camp, but i would recommend putting off buying the nicer structured nursing bras until your breasts settle into their new normal size and stop leaking. i’m not sure which bras you were looking at in nordstroms, but i wanted to add that advice to your searching.

one other thing about not going braless— i don’t know about the other S+TMs, but my kid was like a little grabby baby vampire, so the extra layer of booby protection from her until i was ready was nice.
  • Options
    @wildrainbow I just ordered the HOFISH nursing bra from amazon! super cheap for a pack of 3 and great reviews online.. excited to see if I like them.. 
  • Options
    @eahayes I haven't tried their bras, but their nursing tanks are my most favorite thing ever
  • Options
    I got these nursing bras off Amazon. Already wearing them for the no wire comfort and super happy.

iLoveSIA 3pack Nursing Bra Nude+Black+Light Pink Size XL Fit 38BC 36CD 34D 34DD 32DDD 30F 40B https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YGSELHK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Ba6RBb04M4G22

• Options
    Infertility Journey (in spoiler because it's way too long and child/loss mentioned)
    Married: 08/09/2013; TTC #2
    Me: 31, possible PCOS and Septate Uterus (Septum removed in November 2017)
    DH: 31, MFI (Low Count and Low Motility)
    July 2017 - IUI #1 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    August 2017 - IUI #2 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    September 2017 - IUI #3 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    November 2017 - Uterine Septum removed
    December 2017 - IVF Consultation
    January 2018 - IVF #1 - Retrieval 1/24 - 2 Day 3 embryos (1 transferred fresh, 1 frozen) and 2 Day 5 embryos frozen
    February 2018 - Fresh Transfer - Transfer 1/27 (1 day 3 embryo) - BFN
    March 2018 - FET #1 - Transfer 3/2 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP!  1st beta (10dp5dt) - 101; 2nd beta (17dp5dt) - 3061! Due 11/18/2018
    March 2018 - Remaining embryos lost in malfunction.

October 8, 2018 - Son born at 34 weeks and a day due to preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome.  Spent 13 days in the NICU.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

June 2019 - IVF #2 - Cancelled - Cyst on Ovary
    July 2019 - IVF #2 Take 2 - Retrieval 8/1 - 5 Day 5 embryos frozen
    August 2019 - FET #1 - Cancelled - No Trilaminar Lining
    September 2019 - FET #1 - Transfer 9/25 (1 day 5 embryo) - Chemical Pregnancy - 1st beta (9dp5dt): 110; 2nd beta (14dp5dt): 357; 3rd beta (16dp5dt): 188; 4th beta (23dp5dt): 7
    November 2019 - FET #2 - Transfer 11/6 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFN
    December 2019 - FET #3 - Transfer 12/11 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP! - 1st beta (8dp5dt): 102; 2nd beta (15dp5dt): 2636! Due 08/28/2020

August 13, 2020 - Son born at 37 weeks an 6 days due to failed BPP (Gestational Diabetes).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers