January 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Misc nursery furniture

Let's talk misc nursery furniture!

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: 

Https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VpirQLqoWOgVefTUVQLuh0wcdlL3kKfjcp2_aaZd6Bk/edit#gid=0 

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!) 

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Misc nursery furniture

• Options
    I actually have one for this, i'm obsessed with getting a corner changing table and I've been hunting for a toy/ book organizer.  Does anyone have any good suggestions? I think I have what I want picked out but you never know!
  • Options
    I just picked out an over the door organizer to add to the registry, the room is fairly small so I'd like to maximize the space use if possible. I think im skipping a changing table and will just get a changing pad for the bureau. 
    We have an old book case that we can use. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @galactickates we bought a bookshelf with cubby holes and bought cloth bins to keep the toys in. The one I have is shorter than the one I attached a picture of. As far as a corner changing table good luck! I feel like finding corner pieces in general is hard so I hope your able to find what you want!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have much to add here, other than my opinion on the changing table.
    We went the route of getting a short/long dresser (what do they call this? horizontal dresser?) with a changing pad on top. There is enough space on top to also have the wipes and other accessories, then the top right drawer has diapers and other necessities. The rest of the drawers has clothes. I did it this way so that we can continue using the dresser after our kids are long out of diapers, verses getting an extra piece of furniture that we won't use for anything else. I'm SO GLAD we went this way, because it makes the room also look "cleaner" and it's easy, and saves space for sure.

Oh, and we went with the Dekor trash bin and really like it. It works great with normal trash bags and can be turned into a normal trash bin once you're done with diapers. I REALLY like how the amount of time the lid is open to put in a bag is next to none, and you don't have to stick your hand into it like other diaper bins. You can toss it right in (literally, toss it, not shove it) and it's easy peasy. It locks in the smell of the diapers as well, within reason. Now that DD's poops are way more stinky, if we're going on day 5 without changing the bin it starts to smell, but that could be easily fixed if we were using the special bags or put an Arm & Hammer smelly disc in there, which we don't use right now, and really...by day 5 it's basically FULL anyway, so it's not like we are being wasteful and having to change it early.
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    @sweetyjenj good to know about the diaper pail. We bought a diaper genie and hate it!! I stopped using it a long time ago. Pee diapers go in the regular trash and poop goes straight outside to the big trash can. It's harder to do with a newborn so a good diaper pail is on my list. I'll look into the dekor
  • Options
    We're just using a dresser with a changing pad in the nursery, but registered for a changing table to set up in our living room because we don't have any good changing surfaces on our first floor. The changing table has two open shelves, so I'm going to get some storage baskets and hopefully keep it as a centralized place for baby stuff on the first floor.

• Options
    For diaper pails, we registered for the Ubbi.  It has pretty good reviews, and doesn't require expensive bag refills. Does anyone have experience with this brand? 

• Options
    @AshVA We have 2 Ubbi diaper pails and LOVE them! I love that you can use your own garbage bags, no need to buy their specific ones. And I feel like the stainless steel helps to conceal the smell of poppy diapers too. 
  • Options
    @AshVA @jgil85 we registered for an Ubbi too. I’m glad to hear that real people like them!  I’ve read good reviews but it always helps to hear real experience!
  • Options
    @AshVA I don't have experience with this, but the Dekor allows you to use regular trash bags, too, even though they have their own. I like that the Dekor also has the foot peddle that opens the top (but the inside is still enclosed at this point) then you toss the diaper into the opening (looks like the Ubbi opening on top, but without the lever). It's totally hands free, which is helpful when DD is squirming on the changing table or I'm holding her.
    Is the Ubbi hands free? it looks like you need to open the top part. Maybe you don't, though?
    I would think the stainless steel would help with odors, though!!
    Me: 30 |  DH: 33
    Married: 8/11/2007

DD: Born 2/3/17
    BFP#2: 5/3, EDD 1/10/19
  • Options
    kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited September 2018
    We have the bigger Hemnes dresser with a changing pad on top and have been super happy with that choice for the kids’ room. Half the drawers have clothes and the other half have crib sheets, swaddle blankets, etc.

I keep toys and books in a cubby shelf system with cloth bins upstairs, and this console table with baskets downstairs. ( https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1286326/sonoma-life-style-4-pc-cameron-console-table-set.jsp )I love having the bins or baskets to stuff toys away for a quick tidy-up! If you go with cubby storage, my tip is to choose one that is higher quality so it’s more sturdy if/when your kid climbs on it...some are actually designed to double as a bench, so they can handle the weight of being climbed on. And of course make sure you anchor those things or any bookshelf or dresser to the wall!

Edit to add: I also keep a small caddy with diapers, wipes, diaper cream, and a fold-up changing pad (like one from a diaper bag) downstairs for easier diaper changes downstairs.
  • Options
    We are planning on using the bigger Hemnes dresser with a changing pad on top as well. Do those of you who do this secure the changing pad in anyway? Does it slide around a lot? 

Me: 36 DH:41
    DD born 1/3/2019
    EDD for #2 1/28/2021
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @lacroixliz I secured the changing pad on one dresser, but found I preferred using some non-slip mat (like you’d use under a rug) under it instead so it doesn’t slide at all. 
  • Options
    We also are using the dresser as the changing table in the nursery, which is upstairs.  We are getting a hand me down changing table for our downstairs baby room so that we have one on each floor.

I got the dekor diaper pail after a super strong recommendation from a friend. After she told me about it, i was thinking i needed one for our litter box too, and then saw they have a cat-version on chewy.com for like $25. I cant personally speak to the dekor, but im pretty sure the litter champ is basically the same and the litter champ is freaking awesome.  All stinky trashcans should work this way!
  • Options
    @lacroixliz We have the large hemnes dresser for ds1 and just put the changing pad on top. I wasnt a huge fan of that setup so for ds1, we bought a dresser topper that matches our crib that holds the pad in place. I'm happy with it so far, I've been doing all of ds1 diaper changes there. 
  • Options
    Remembered another of my favorite tips! The first couple of months we kept a big yoga ball next to the crib or bassinet so we could easily bounce baby when he was fussy in the motn instead of pacing around like zombies. So much easier on your back and legs when you are up all night, and no running into furniture wandering around in the dark ;)