April 2019 Moms
Options

Sneak Peek Gender Test

Has anyone gotten the sneak peak gender test done at a lab? My husband doesn’t believe it’s accurate, but says we can get it done if I want to. We already have 2 boys (5 & 3) and I REALLY want to find out sooner than later if I can start buying pink! Currently 10w2d and getting it done next Wednesday at a lab. I will be 11w6d. 

Re: Sneak Peek Gender Test

• Options
    I was just reading about someone who did it at 10weeks and it didn’t work. She said it was too early. Other than that I don’t know much about it
  • Options
    Do you mean the blood test that checks for probability of certain disorders - usually called non-invasive prenatal testing - and it has different companies that the blood is sent to like Maternit21?

Just a quick Google search shows that the Maternit21 test has a 99.4% accuracy on gender results.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I believe ultrasound boutiques are very much just guessing and wasted money until 14/15 weeks. Blood tests are more accurate, but because you've had sons it's possible to get an innacurate result. 
    At least that's what I've read.
  • Options
    It’s called ‘Sneak Peek’. You go to an ultrasound facility that offers it through a phlembolotmist who draws your blood. What they say is that they can determine the gender after 9 weeks with 100% accuracy because the presence or absence of the Y chromosome in your blood will tell them boy or girl. I’m a little skeptical, but I’ve had many friends and relatives do it and none of them have been wrong so far. 
  • Options
    @pizash91 why would you do that when you can just get the NIPT through your doctor and know if the baby is healthy along with the sex? 

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options
    sheknows6 said:
    @pizash91 why would you do that when you can just get the NIPT through your doctor and know if the baby is healthy along with the sex? 
    To be fair NIPT can be pretty expensive if your insurance doesn’t cover it. 

That being said, I would be leery of any place to claim to be able to tell with 100% accuracy. As a PP mentioned previously having carried a son can throw off results. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Oops, my bad.  Didn't realize there was a specific test called Sneak Peek.

Is the draw that it's less expensive than the NIPT testing?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Without insurance NIPT runs about $200 in my area, so I don’t think it’s that much more expensive considering Sneak Peak is close to $100, if it’s the same sneak peak I found on google. But that’s me, I would want to know health too if we are drawing blood *shrug*

• Options
    sheknows6 said:
    Without insurance NIPT runs about $200 in my area, so I don’t think it’s that much more expensive considering Sneak Peak is close to $100, if it’s the same sneak peak I found on google. But that’s me, I would want to know health too if we are drawing blood *shrug*
    Yeah last pregnancy my doctor quoted me over $1000 if my insurance wouldn't cover it. I'm having it done again, but i can see why people might want to go to a cheaper place. 
  • Options
    @MRDCle that's insane! what NIPT are they offering? The most expensive option I was quoted was $300 without insurance. 

• Options
    @sheknows6 that was for the Maternit21. 
  • Options
    @MRDCle that's the same test I'm having, so I'm not sure why it's so much more expensive. That's outrageous! 

• Options
    @sheknows6 to be fair this was 4 years ago so maybe more insurances are covering it? Who knows!
  • Options
    @mrdcle I think so, and I'm pretty sure it's different now, they said without insurance it's $200. And the manufacturer has self-pay coupons as well if you go to their site. I would definitely ask for a self pay discount if they still quote you that much! 

• Options
    I asked to have NIPT done by my doctor so I would also know the health. He said without a history on both sides of babies family my insurance wouldn’t cover it. I asked him the price and he said in AZ the NIPT is $3,000. If it were only $200 I would have definitely gone with that option over just knowing gender for $70 less! 
  • Options
    chrissdeechrissdee member
    edited September 2018
    I would for sure get NIPT testing done if it was determined that I was high-risk or something, and I can definitely see the appeal in finding out the sex of the baby early on... but, for me at least, if it's not considered medically necessary I can't justify spending extra out of pocket when I could wait a few more weeks and find out at the anatomy scan. There's going to be so much other stuff that money can be used for. 

Edited to remove unecessary tag. 
  • Options
    @mrstmoose that's exactly why I said why would you do that instead of genetic testing. Doesn't make sense to me either.

• Options
    Meh, if you have the money and want to know earlier, I don’t see anything wrong with doing a “sneak peek” or whatever. I’d rather get the real deal with addl testing though. I want to know the odds of any addl diseases or birth defects, even though I’m not high risk. It’s woth the money to me to find out and feel as prepared as possible in the event of any adverse events. 
  • Options
    Meh, if you have the money and want to know earlier, I don’t see anything wrong with doing a “sneak peek” or whatever. I’d rather get the real deal with addl testing though. I want to know the odds of any addl diseases or birth defects, even though I’m not high risk. It’s woth the money to me to find out and feel as prepared as possible in the event of any adverse events. 
    Yeah this is where I'm at.  I wouldn't do it just to find out the sex, so I will be doing NIPT and if we find out the sexes, yay! But eh you do you boo boo. If that's how you wanna drop a couple hundred bucks more power to ya.
  • Options
    @MRDCle "boo boo" LOL 
  • Options
    If I didn’t do the qnatal testing I was going to do sneak peak just to find out the sex. Not everyone may want to know about any genetic abnormalities, so I don’t see anything wrong with just wanting to find out the sex! I thinks it’s exciting to know!