April 2019 Moms
Options

Diapering, cloth, disposables, changing table... what are your plans?

2»

Re: Diapering, cloth, disposables, changing table... what are your plans?

• Options
    @sheepshepherdess. We used Gdiapers with the cloth for the first 5 m rather successfully. The liners that are flushable can’t flush in our septic tank. I did use a few of them and they were absorbant. Not more affordable necessarily. 

The reason we stopped using them around 5m is that she got more mobile and they were a bit leakier at that point. But you could use the flushable liners with any covers. Flip and rumoarooz and thirsties are all great. 
  • Options
    Baby #2

With DS we used cloth diapers most of the time, and will do the same thing again.  I used a mixture of pockets, all-in-ones, and prefolds/covers. I prefer the pockets or all-in-ones over the prefolds and covers, but most of my newborn sizes are prefolds.

For a changing table I will use the changing table attachment on the pack-n-play in our room at first, when the baby moves to their own room I will pull out DS's changing table. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Baby #2 here!

We planned on using cloth and disposable with Baby #1, however when DH had to change the first poppy cloth diaper, he put an end to that right away.  ;) Oo well.  I'm pretty sure we will go 100% disposable with this baby.

Our changing table is on top of a dresser.  Works great!  Put a cute little basket with diapers, cream and wipes up there too.  Makes me feel organized, however the rest of my house is not!   :D:smiley:  
  • Options
    This baby is my 4th, we will be using Pamper’s (unless there’s a problem) like I have with my other 3, and we have a changing table. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Update: we will be using Wegreeco and Lilbit pocket diapers with snap covers and only bamboo inserts from Amazon. They're $25-32 for 6 or 7 new diapers.
    And we'll be using prefolds as burp cloths for cost.
  • Options
    Thank you @kbirchtree, very helpful comments about gDiapers!
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    This is Baby #2

We will use disposable again. DH and I work full time and there are several evenings where he has to be away. 

We we have a changing table upstairs and are still using it for DS but that will move to the baby room. 

I also absolutely loved having a pack n play downstairs with the changing table built in during the first few months. That was a lifesaver.
  • Options
    My back was bad postpartum so I definitely used my changing table a bunch especially 0-6 months! After that anywhere. We did disposables with my first and will again. I think cloth is wonderful; I really just can’t do any more laundry, I will lose my mind! We love Honest diapers they are the ones that irritate my babies delicate bottom the least. We switched after having diaper rash issues, with DS and I’ll never go back. Bonus: the patterns are adorable! 
  • Options
    Baby #2 

We do disposable. Daycare does not do cloth so there is no point. 

we set up a changing station and NEVER used it (still don't). We always use a changing pad on the floor. Its much each, no need to worry about falling off. We also don't have shoes in our house so its pretty clean. 

Am I the only one who doesn't think diapers are that expensive? I mean in the grand scheme of things I guess I have spend a ton of 2 years but we do amazon subscribe and save and get the large 1 month box which is under $50 month from size 1 on. 

Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    Update: we will be using Wegreeco and Lilbit pocket diapers with snap covers and only bamboo inserts from Amazon. They're $25-32 for 6 or 7 new diapers.
    And we'll be using prefolds as burp cloths for cost.
    I saw these and I'm so curious about them. When I started buying diapers for DD(six years ago) there were no cloth diapers on Amazon to put on our registry and the cheapies legit shipped from China, lol. It's so great/bizarre to me that things have changed so much!
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    kaitykinskaitykins member
    edited October 2018
    kosmo86 said:
    Baby #2 

We do disposable. Daycare does not do cloth so there is no point. 

we set up a changing station and NEVER used it (still don't). We always use a changing pad on the floor. Its much each, no need to worry about falling off. We also don't have shoes in our house so its pretty clean. 

Am I the only one who doesn't think diapers are that expensive? I mean in the grand scheme of things I guess I have spend a ton of 2 years but we do amazon subscribe and save and get the large 1 month box which is under $50 month from size 1 on. 

We spent $200 on newborn diapers easily, and then if you can get diapers for $50 a month for the next 30ish months that’s $1500 for a total of about $1700-2000 pending when you potty train. Per kid. With cheaper diapers. 

When you are on a very tight budget, and can instead spend about $500-1000 on diapers and laundry soap and such and those diapers are usually goin. To last for 2-4 more kids if you wanted, it can save $3000-7000 (we want 4 kids at least ) now, that being said, your time is valuable too so you have to make the right choice for your family. For us, as a SAHM it felt like a way I could save or family approximately $1000 for the first baby and $1500-2000 for following babies it seems worth it. 

They are not easier or more
    practical in any way. 
  • Options
    @kbirchtree - all valid points. its more of my time than money that would kill me with cloth diapers. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    @kosmo86 Yeah, daycare options not doing cloth diapers is a huge portion of why I’ll probably not do them even if I want to. Having to do a mix of cloth and disposable seems like the worst of both worlds (extra laundry and extra cost), but I don’t really have the option to be a SAHM, so I need to accommodate childcare.