Options

UO!

It's Thursday, right?!
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker

Re: UO!

• Options
    edited September 2018
    @sleepy33 agree, it's like just asking people to harass you about it. For DS's name we kept telling people we had ideas but hadn't settled until he was born because I didn't want to deal. It's a lot easier to be like oh we don't know yet!

ETA: My UO - adult cartoons are weird.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sleepy33 I asked a question about why in the "Team Green" thread, because I felt like it seemed like a cry for attention / psycho power trip to know and lord it over your loved ones. Person who responded said it was to avoid people tendering their unborn child, and also so the couple could narrow down names beforehand.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    @sleepy33 I actually think your opinion lands on the popular side - or at least, that's been my experience. I was kind of surprised how many people thought it was a good idea when I mentioned it in the Team Green thread. We were team yellow for our first and when people asked, I told them I knew but we weren't sharing. I started out telling people that we didn't know but either my poker face was terrible or so few people are actually team green around here that people would push and I would cave and tell people that we know but we're not telling. For our second, I decided that I didn't want to face the lack of respect for our decision again and went team pink.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @peachy13 oh man, I have such strong feelings about gender reveal parties (I love them too). We probably won't have one this time but we had one with DS and it was great. Yes sex does not equal gender but it's not like when the baby is actually born people call them male/female. We call them boys/girls which are gendered. I don't think it's a big deal! What's more important is having that conversation with your kids when/if they need to and being open and accepting. Idk, I'm not going to call my baby boy my baby male, so...

But anyway, I agree. I think they're fun and exciting and I love celebrating.

• Options
    @peachy13 I have to admit I love them too! I completely understand that gender doesn’t equal sex, but I love any excuse to celebrate and have a get together. We had one for my son and didn’t do a theme like “bows or bow ties”. We just opened a box with balloons and had a low country boil for everyone. It was a lot of fun seeing how excited everyone was.  

I’ll be back for an UO once I think of one that hasn’t already been said.. 
  • Options
    @keighty80 and @poshspice can we be friends lol.  Same
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge but Bobs Burgers though! Don’t knock it til ya try it  ;)

• Options
    keighty80 said:
    TB used to be the snarkiest place ever and I loved it. I was in the Aug14 bmb for my first pregnancy and the snark was strong, but it in no way took away from the support I felt there. I loved that shiz and I miss it! Maybe I'm just a jerk and I liked being able to call people stupid when they were being dopes? Either way...I know a lot of people on here don't understand the snark or like it but I did!
    I am here for the snark, if that were not already obvious lol. Also, I'm a creeper, but I feel like we are kind of life twins, I saw your intro post where you have an older kiddo from a previous marriage and expecting w/ a new fiance, and that's meee toooo, so hiiiii 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    k2k2tog said:
    @sleepy33 I actually think your opinion lands on the popular side - or at least, that's been my experience. I was kind of surprised how many people thought it was a good idea when I mentioned it in the Team Green thread. We were team yellow for our first and when people asked, I told them I knew but we weren't sharing. I started out telling people that we didn't know but either my poker face was terrible or so few people are actually team green around here that people would push and I would cave and tell people that we know but we're not telling. For our second, I decided that I didn't want to face the lack of respect for our decision again and went team pink.
    Oh good, don't hate me, cause I know you were one of the Team Yellows and I think you're lovely, soooo... I can understand the no poker face. I probably am *too* good at telling little white lies, so that's probably my perspective on it. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    sleepy33 said:
    keighty80 said:
    TB used to be the snarkiest place ever and I loved it. I was in the Aug14 bmb for my first pregnancy and the snark was strong, but it in no way took away from the support I felt there. I loved that shiz and I miss it! Maybe I'm just a jerk and I liked being able to call people stupid when they were being dopes? Either way...I know a lot of people on here don't understand the snark or like it but I did!
    I am here for the snark, if that were not already obvious lol. Also, I'm a creeper, but I feel like we are kind of life twins, I saw your intro post where you have an older kiddo from a previous marriage and expecting w/ a new fiance, and that's meee toooo, so hiiiii 

Yassss! 

• Options
    kvh22kvh22 member
    edited September 2018
    @k2k2tog yes, bay area, right? I think of the 40 or so children of people on my broader team (maybe 30 parents), only one other person didn't find out with his 2 kids!! People thought I was crazy but everyone believed me when I said we weren't finding out.

My UO: I love love love breastfeeding, don't want my boobs or body back before this LO is born and hope that DD doesn't wean herself because of my pregnancy hormones. I did drop the pumping back in June and it was life changing, but when I'm with DD, breastfeeding is just so much easier IMO (and in my case)!

ETA: Oops, @k2k2tog , I got you confused with nerdyteacherlady. Sorry!! You're in Canada, I see now. My bad.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    I started that while on a call and by the time I actually got around to posting, I missed more of the snark. I, personally, love reading it! Keep it up, ladies! I can be pretty snarky/sarcastic in person but definitely noticed during my last BMB that I am not on TB. I'm not sure why, wish I was, so I will live vicariously through you all unless/until I get up the courage to do it on here @keighty80 @sleepy33

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options

My UO: I love love love breastfeeding, don't want my boobs or body back before this LO is born and hope that DD doesn't wean herself because of my pregnancy hormones. I did drop the pumping back in June and it was life changing, but when I'm with DD, breastfeeding is just so much easier IMO (and in my case)!

I loved BFing too; it’s hard to explain to those that haven’t done it. Also biologically you are literally releasing feel good hormones while doing it. You carry a baby for 9 mo inside of you and have this special bond, and then it’s almost a way of continuing that bond. Also whipping out a tit is SO much easier than making a bottle and cheaper too!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @msb615 that sounds awesome. Ours for DD was pretty similar. No over the top theme of anything, just a ton of food, drinks, and cake. We hit a pinata full of pink candy which was really fun for the kids at the party. Honestly it was just a good excuse to get everyone together since hanging out with friends has slowed down a bunch now that everyone is married with kids. DD is also the first baby on my side of the family so I kind of felt like the party was more for their excitement haha. 
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• Options
    sleepy33 said:
    k2k2tog said:
    Oh good, don't hate me, cause I know you were one of the Team Yellows and I think you're lovely, soooo... I can understand the no poker face. I probably am *too* good at telling little white lies, so that's probably my perspective on it. 
    Don't worry - we are totally allowed to have differing opinions about this. There are some UOs I can't handle, but this isn't one of them. And, to be honest, I was a first time mom with lots of kind of self-righteous opinions. I don't even really know how I feel about team yellow these days.

• Options
    keighty80 said:

Yaaaasss.... I think TB does the best job of fostering community - I have yet to find another board that actually believes in organization - but I miss what TB used to be. I was scrolling through my June14 board a bit a few days ago and feeling really nostalgic. And then I got to the bit where everything blew up and just got sad. Things are so tame now.

• Options
    @keighty80 @poshspice @chucksmom15 @k2k2tog Haaaay, party people. I wasn't around in the good ol' days of TB, but I love me some snark! 
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Options
    Umm have I been out of the game so long that I don’t even know what TEAM YELLOW is!!?!?

UO: I hate technology. I’d give up my smartphone in an instant and go back to the days of flip phones. Sigh. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @peachy13 it was the same for my parents since I’m an only child! They were so excited. Did y’all find out the same time everyone else did or before? We went to an early ultrasound, but kept it a secret until the “reveal”! It’s killkng me already not telling people about baby #2. Haha

@bluesky24 Clearly I’ve been out of the game too long too because I hadn’t heard of team yellow either until now..
  • Options
    I love snark and gifs. I don’t even listen to hip hop these days, but back in high school and college, that was my sh*t. 

My UO is that I don’t think showers or sprinkles for a second (or third, etc) baby is tacky... and maybe this is just somewhat a no no in the south, but I think all babies should be celebrated!
  • Options
    @msb615 yes! Celebrating each baby is fun! I do think it’s tacky to ask everyone to get you all new stuff if you already have it from last baby (minus clothes, diapers/things that run out, maybe some useful new gadgets)

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge yes definitely agree with that! We kept all of my son’s baby gear and most of his clothes, so we won’t need any of that. I do love all things monogrammed, but honestly, a diaper shower is all I’d really like since my 2 year old shows 0 interest in potty training. I say all of this to say that I don’t expect another shower obviously, but I don’t side eye it when people do for additional babies. 
  • Options
    @sleepy33 if we were to do Team yellow we wouldn't tell people that we know. I am a horrible secret keeper of my own secrets though so I dont think I could hack team yellow!

• Options
    msb615 said:
    I love snark and gifs. I don’t even listen to hip hop these days, but back in high school and college, that was my sh*t. 

My UO is that I don’t think showers or sprinkles for a second (or third, etc) baby is tacky... and maybe this is just somewhat a no no in the south, but I think all babies should be celebrated!
    On the flip side, my UO is that I think baby showers are awful. Not that they're not necessary - showering a family with a new baby with gifts is important and helpful. But I didn't even enjoy mine. A room full of women sitting around watching one person open presents, playing silly games.

All that to say, I still think people should have one if they want, and I will always still go to baby showers of friends and family. I just don't enjoy them and really wish the way people celebrate babies would change.

• Options
    @k2k2tog I’m not a fan of opening presents in front of everyone, but I don’t mind it with close family and friends. My work shower was a sweet gesture, but it was so awkward.  My friends and I made a deal when the first one of us was pregnant that we wouldn’t do the silly games, so that helps make them more enjoyable. But really, just grilling out, everyone (besides me obviously) having drinks, hanging out and bringing a box of diapers is more my speed haha! 
  • Options
    msb615 said:
    @k2k2tog I’m not a fan of opening presents in front of everyone, but I don’t mind it with close family and friends. My work shower was a sweet gesture, but it was so awkward.  My friends and I made a deal when the first one of us was pregnant that we wouldn’t do the silly games, so that helps make them more enjoyable. But really, just grilling out, everyone (besides me obviously) having drinks, hanging out and bringing a box of diapers is more my speed haha! 
    Yes! That sounds perfect! I was recently invited to a baby shower that said in the invite that, while the ladies were playing games and opening presents inside, the guys were invited to come hang out with the dad, have some drinks, and maybe bring a box of diapers. It seemed so unfair! 

(I decided not to go - it landed in the middle of a busy summer and she’s one of DH’s cousins that I’m not that close to. Didn’t feel bad about not going at all.)

• Options
    @k2k2tog That is so unfair! I don’t blame you not wanting to go. I don’t know many people that would want to watch someone open presents and play baby shower games when they could be boozing and hanging out. I mean.. let’s be honest!  :D
  • Options
    @k2k2tog @msb615 Ugh, I went to one of those showers although the invite just make it seem like a co-ed party. Then we got there and the guys were ushered to the bar while the girls had to decorate onesies with permanent pens. I was sooooo annoyed. So I decided to incorporate both when asked for ideas for my own shower for DD. Had it at an Irish pub and had people drink and then decorate the onesies.  :)
  • Options
    megsb615megsb615 member
    edited September 2018
    @Pahialii Your idea is much better! Maybe it’s just me, but I’d much rather just have everyone hanging out and enjoying being at the shower. I understand old people and family like watching the Mom to be open presents and go the traditional route, but when it comes to friends... It’s so much more fun to just be laid back, drink, eat and talk.. even when you’re not the one getting to enjoy drinks!  :D