February 2019 Moms
Options

I've Got 99 Projects...But I'll Add One More (The September DIY Thread)

One day late, here's the first of our monthly DIY threads! Feel free to post about any project you're currently working on, thinking about starting, or that you've finished! Baby-related or not, let's see it!

Some prompts to get things going:
1. What are you currently planning, working on, or completing?
2. Anything that you need help brainstorming? Looking for suggestions for something?
3. Have you completed something this month? Post a picture!
4. Any rants or raves (or questions)?

Re: I've Got 99 Projects...But I'll Add One More (The September DIY Thread)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits That's an adorable idea! Huge points for planning it without any inspiration pictures! I'm really bad at visualizing what things should look like, so almost all of my projects are riffs off of things I've seen other people do. I have major respect for people who have an eye for design (especially when it comes to home/furniture design)!
  • Options
    Long term. Put the nursery together, make it baby ready.
  • Options
    That's so cute @ksdelong20

So I had no idea what I wanted to do nursery decoration-wise until I had a sudden flash of inspiration this weekend! I'm going to buy a nice secondhand dresser, side table and changing table and paint the dresser a very neutral grey and the two other things probably a nice navy. I've never done anything of the sort so I'm pretty jazzed! 

Then for the gallery wall, I love nature photography but literally never print any of my pictures so I'm going to change that and make that and a pair of canvases I bought the starting point. 

• Options
    @hannahbananas11 thanks for this thread!  I work in luxury furniture sales and have an interior decoration business so I’m probably overly excited about working on this nursery.  Going to paint the room’s trim a gray/blue, and the walls will be a soft white.  DH, pupper, and I went to the Anthropologie outlet this weekend and I got this rug and door stop for the nursery.  

• Options
    @casperthefriendlybeeb THAT RUG IS SO PRETTY! Basically anything at Anthropologie is gorgeous.
    Please post pictures of the finished nursery! I'm sure it's going to be absolutely beautiful!
  • Options
    Thanks @hannahbananas11 !  Will definitely post nursery pics
  • Options
    Omg @okayestmom12 have you seen the PB Baby Star Wars nursery collection?
  • Options
    Omg @okayestmom12 have you seen the PB Baby Star Wars nursery collection?
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits - Yes! That’s where the sheets (middle column, 3rd picture down) are from! 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @thechickendance LOL that is borderline cruel to send a glitter bomb! But also hilarious and fun!
    I open most of my mail in my car once I get home from work. I hope they don't do that with this one! :D
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 hahaha that would be a disaster!! Thankfully both typically open mail in the kitchen! We figured this is the only opportunity to glitter bomb someone without repercussions (first grandchild on either side).
  • Options
    @wrensnest I don't know where you live, but JoAnn's fabrics sells remnants.
    You can also buy small amounts off of bolts (the big rolls of fabric). I think the minimum cut at my JoAnn's is 1/8 of a yard, which is 4.5 inches. Quilt shops and fabric shops usually have a minimum for cuts, so you'd just want to call ahead and check to see. Fabric is folded in half when it's on the bold, and is typically 44" or 45" when unfolded. So you'd get a 4.5x44 inch strip of fabric if you got a 1/8 yard cut. You could then cut in half again lengthwise to get two 2" strips, which is what the strips look like on the garland in the picture. You could tie them as-is to get 22" long strips on the garland (44" full strip tied in the middle on the string) or you could cut some a bit shorter to get the varied look of this garland.
  • Options
    Major points to you, @kayjay44! I still haven't finished a knitting project (a simple scarf!) that I started back in 2010. :flushed:
  • Options
    @hannahbananas11 - I've finished a few since then, but not many. I usually knit the kids a hat every year, but that's all I have time for anymore. I've been knitting a loooong time (since I was 4) so I can do it pretty mindlessly while commuting on the train or watching TV. Baby hats are super quick and easy. Might do a few socks too if I can find a magic loop pattern that small because I hate knitting socks on DP, let alone ones that small.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    @hannahbananas11 excellent info. Thank you!
  • Options
    Oooooh I love the idea of a before and after nursery pic @disneybaby84. Also, good luck.
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits you can see I’ve got work to do! 😆
  • Options
    Glad to see there are some knitters out there! I got ambitious after my 20 week ultrasound and started to knit a blanket, cut fabric for a quilt and started sanding down a dresser. Still need to paint a bedroom and flip flop rooms. 
  • Options
    @kayjay44 Adorable! And I love the color!
    I just remembered that today's the day to post the October thread. But it's also past my bedtime. Tomorrow!