October 2018 Moms

VBAC Check-in/August

I haven't seen a recent VBAC check-in!

How are all of you VBAC hopefuls feeling? Have you added anything to your plans to encourage a VBAC? Any new barriers?

Re: VBAC Check-in/August

• I guess I will start! I made an acupuncture appointment today.  I have never been, but my doula said that it helps with timely onset of labor.  I am excited to try it. 

BP has been great so far. 

DH says I need to stop obsessing over VBAC and stop researching so much.  I am frustrated because his comments make me feel like he isn't being supportive.  
  • @meltonjl Thank you for starting an August VBAC check-in! Research helps me process, so I'm with you!  Hopefully he offers some more reassurance :)

So far, so good health wise.  I had an appointment yesterday and my OB was extremely optimistic about a VBAC for me, which took me by surprise.  It seemed that some of the other providers I was seeing were open to the idea of the VBAC, but leaning more towards a repeat c-section due to baby looking big.  It was nice to see how excited she was and she expressed that she feels that a VBAC is my best option at this point. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @arome2311 I’m so excited for you! That’s a great report from your OB! 
  • Glad to hear outlook is good for you both, @arome2311 and @meltonjl!  We had a little bit of a scare last week when baby flipped to breech at 32 weeks, but it has since righted itself (FYI, it’s totally normal for babies to still be flipping at this point, I’m just still traumatized from my son). Otherwise everything looks good, on paper.  I just need to go into labor before my due date!!!
  • @jengibre_zorro I’m glad Baby flipped back. Sorry about the scare though. It’s never fun when bad feelings pop up. 
  • @jengibre_zorro I would have felt the same! Thank goodness it worked itself out. Are you doing anything to try to go into labor on your own prior to your due date?
  • Still on track for VBAC here! Baby was head down at my last appointment and measuring exactly as it should so the midwife seemed optimistic. I had DD at 39+4 so I’m hoping this one decides to come at the same time or earlier this time. I’m going to start eating dates around 35 weeks because why the hell not. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @shortstack930 sounds like a good report!! 

I’ve been eating dates for a few weeks but I feel like there is so much sugar in them they make me nauseous! I was doing six, but when I realized they were making me feel bad I switched to four. Are you planning to eat them straight up?
  • @meltonjl - just walking at this point  :)  I have a feeling once that 39 week mark approaches i will be looking into everything under the sun to get things moving!

@shortstack930 & @meltonjl - i did the dates last time around, but i can't stomach the thought of them right now!  i really wish popsicles helped prepare the body for labor.  Or apple cider donuts.  Or anything more palatable....
  • @jengibre_zorro I know right! I like bacon wrapped dates....do those help?  I also like Larabars, but that doesn't get me to damn 6 per day which just seems so outrageous!

• Everything is going well so far except baby is breech right now at 32 weeks. I've been doing some of the moves from spinning babies and have set up an appointment with the chiropractor. Hopefully he'll flip in the upcoming weeks.

BP is great but I'm starting to get nervous because it didn't start to get sketchy last time until around 34/35 weeks. Trying not to worry about it though.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @CB0425 thats when S@*% hit the fan for me too.  I am 34+5...been obsessing over my BP and every little symptom.  Try laying on your left side constantly.  Do all the moves from spinning babies! You're doing all the right things.  I hope your appointment with the chiro goes well!

• @CB0425 and @meltonjl- I hope everything stays good for you guys and that you don't have to stress. The final stretch seems to be the most difficult time when it comes to nerves. Good luck getting/keeping baby head down. 
  • @meltonjl At my last few appointments I asked them to check my BP a second time just to be sure. Hopefully we'll be able to obsess a little less in the upcoming days.

Thanks! Hoping the best for you and the others also.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @meltonjl I’ll probably just eat them as is but I’ve heard of people putting them in smoothies so they don’t have to choke them down every day. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @shortstack930 I have been putting them in smoothies with strawberries and spinach to balance the sweetness. Still pretty sweet. I also add chia seeds and almond milk. 
  • Nothing exciting to report here. Baby is supposedly head down (by feel, but I tend to try and push for a quick US just to calm my nerves since they completely missed DS was breech until I was in labor) and I haven't had to schedule my jic c-section yet, but whenever I do it will probably end up in November since I wait until the very last minute since my kids are pokey at making their appearances.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @eireyes- I'm glad that it sounds like your dr. is supportive of you going past your due date. I know sometimes providers can be pushy about that.
  • Yeah @arome2311, I was pleasantly surprised with how much they were willing to work with me when I had DD (VBAC). The OB I was discussing everything with then heard me out and actually said "what you're asking for is reasonable, I think we can work with you to make it all happen" I may end up at a different hospital than I'd prefer depending on what all they're willing to do, but that's not a dealbreaker for me. As long as my BP cooperates we'll see how it goes - I always start spiking pretty high at the very end...

• @eireyes- Good luck with your BP!  I know that can be tricky towards the end. 
  • So at my appointment on Wednesday, the doctor said "If you want to have a VBAC, you need to get things going..." I won't be 37 weeks until Sunday.  My just in case RCS is scheduled for 10/16 (so 32 days).  I have been having contractions that haven't caused cervical change.  She made me panic a bit.  I feel good that it's like she gave me clearance to start all the "things," but now I am so antsy.  I'm getting a bit obsessive I think!
  • @meltonjl - that seems a little threatening for so early!  I feel like putting pressure on people just makes it stall even more.  So whatever you do, don't go into labor.  just don't.   ;)
  • @jengibre_zorro DS was born 37+1, but obvi as you can see from my VBAC desires it was a c-section (emergency) so in some ways I almost feel like being pregnant longer than that will seem like an eternity! At the same time, I can't decide whether to be encouraged that she's like "ready, set, go!" or like "RCS is your destiny, woman!"
  • @meltonjl that seems like such an odd thing to say. It implies that we have the control to decide when we are going to go into labor. I guess I wouldn’t have felt very supported and probably would have gotten upset. Sending VBAC vibes your way! 
  • @arome2311 Thanks! I am kinda upset, but just trying to focus on positive affirmations and thinning out this cervix some more! Just grateful for a healthy baby and no pre-e.  That's something I guess!
  • @meltonjl Love the positivity!  It's only going to help you.  A healthy baby and no pre-e is huge!  I'm glad things are going so well for you! 
  • The VBAC plot thickens!  My hospital has a controversial policy that prohibits midwives from attending VBAC's.  There are actively in meetings to get that policy overturned, but most likely nothing will happen in time for me.  I am currently petitioning to be a volunteer/"guinea pig" to let a midwife attend with OB supervision.  Basically it feels a little bit like my doula and i are gearing up for battle rather than birth, but i'd like to think it's all for the greater good.  I just feel a little bit of pressure now not to fail at this whole VBAC thing and let everyone down.....
  • @jengibre_zorro healthy mom, healthy baby is what’s important. How you get there will be neither a failure or disappointment :). That sucks about the midwives. My hospital isn’t contracted with them either. I’m really glad you have a doula though. I’ve only heard great things about them. 
  • @jengibre_zorro almost sounds political!

I have the same doula as last time. I never really got the chance to “use” her because nothing happened with my induction and ended in emergency c section. 

It’s so funny when I signed my VBAC consent it literally said a VBAC was safer than RCS so it’s almost comical to me how many providers don’t encourage it. Plus if this is the case, why no midwives!? Mine is a pretty conservative practice but like I said paper work said it in black and white! Crazy!
  • meltonjl It sucks the doc put that kind of pressure on you for something out of your control.

I was a little worried because the bottom number of my BP at my appt last week was a little higher than it has been and it made me anxious about pre-e showing up again. I've been monitoring all weekend and it's staying normal. It may have been high due to me already being nervous and then the RN took my BP before I could get settled in the room.

@meltonjl and @jengibre_zorro Do you feel having a doula was/is helpful? I've been back and forth on it over the last month. I guess my fear is that if I'm not able to have a VBAC I would have 'wasted' the doula's time and failed at a VBAC (which I know is irrational and silly sounding).

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @CB0425 - i had a doula last time as well for my unplanned c-section, and she ended up being a life saver.  She held my poor husband together while he was scrubbing in, advocated for me when i was too deep into contractions to verbalize anything, and she took care of me when i was super sick from the anesthesia and my husband was snuggling our newborn.  She also helped me with skin to skin and breastfeeding while i was in recovery before they took me back to L&D!  I was in labor for 45 mins and then had a C-section, and she was still worth every penny  :D:D:D

Also - the one time i had high BP (because i was stressed about running late to the appt) i asked them to retake at the end of the appt, and they did and it was normal.  FWIW!
  • jengibre_zorro  Thanks! That was helpful.

At one other appointment I asked the LPN to retake it and she seemed a little annoyed. Turns out I had just heard it wrong the first time and it was normal (nerves I guess lol). I was a little hesitant to ask again at this appointment. I should have spoken up though. Probably even more reason for me to hire a doula to advocate for me when I'm too timid! lol!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @CB0425 my doula will provide postpartum doula services if my VBAC doesn't work out...I don't think it applies if shes with me at the hospital for TOLAC.  But if I make it to the scheduled RCS, she will come over to our house after the birth and help out.  If you are looking for a doula, you could probably find one that offers that.

This time my doula has been incredibly helpful in preparing for the VBAC with suggestions and texting me to check in.  It could be because we have a prior relationship from before, but I find that having someone to talk to besides DH and super opinionated friends and fam is helpful.