March 2019 Moms
Options

Fit Mama Monday 8/27

What were your workout challenges and successes this week?

What are your goals for this week?

What is your favorite stretch after a hard workout? 
DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: Fit Mama Monday 8/27

• Options
    What were your workout challenges and successes this week? Still doing a 15 day workout challenge. I skipped 2 this week, 1 because I was crazy busy and had plans with friends and the other because I did yardwork and walked at the zoo instead. Otherwise I'm doing pretty good.

What are your goals for this week? Same thing, I have 6 more days to go of this challenge! I'm glad to have so many good workout routines for the future now too.

What is your favorite stretch after a hard workout? I love a good, deep forward fold to stretch out my legs and release the tension in my back.

Question: What exercises are you avoiding to prevent diastasis recti? I've been getting mixed information about what I should or shouldn't be doing. No ab work at all, or just avoid quick twisting? No crunches, just planks? I'm so confused and I feel like there's so many "fitness gurus" with varying opinions that aren't necessarily based on facts that really muddy the water here.
  • Options
    @meggyme Yesss. I hope you get answers to your question. All the advice out there is all so different (and scary)!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @meggyme  I had it pretty bad after my first pregnancy, but it healed very quickly with some simple exercises. My midwife told me that it is unavoidable to some extent, but I think being in shape during pregnancy really helps with how quickly it recovers. I am hitting 13 weeks tomorrow and realizing I need to start being more careful about ab work - thanks for the reminder. Last time I modified exercises that would usually be flat on the back to be on the exercise ball (like hip bridges), and continued to do planks. I added in things like bird dogs, sitting heel taps, and standing knee crunches and dumbbell side bends. 

I have read conflicting stuff about planks though, so maybe that was part of my problem? 
  • Options
    What were your workout challenges and successes this week? My biggest challenge this week was the weekend! It was my husbands birthday and we were out of town, so I didn’t work out all weekend! Other than that it was a very successful week, got lots of workouts in, and I feel like I really improved my eating, which was in need of an adjustment. 

What are your goals for this week? The same, trying to keep consistent with running, and add in 2 days of strength training. I also had to bag my long run last week, and the half marathon is coming up at the end of September, so I would really like to make sure I get a 10 mile run done at some point this week. 

What is your favorite stretch after a hard workout? I am more of a foam roller gal. I really like to roll my lower legs and my lower back out after a run. It hurts so good! 
  • Options
    So this is the most scientific answer on diastasis recti I’ve found from the national academy of sports medicine. https://blog.nasm.org/womens-fitness/how-to-prevent-diastasis-recti-with-crunches/
  • Options

Managed more than half of my planned exercise, so felt ok about last week. Still struggling with motivation in the face of nausea.

4-5 walks and 3-4 yoga classes

Downward dog - love the stretch I can get in my calves!

• Options
    What were your workout challenges and successes this week? Last week was pretty good for me, met the goals of 5 strength workouts but only had 4 walks.

What are your goals for this week? This week has started off rough as far as workouts - yesterday's appointment took up my normal workout break at work and I was exhausted when I got home so no walk like I had hoped. Today I have a luncheon over my break and am having car trouble so it has to be dropped off at the shop tonight...leading to a small goal this week of 3 strength workouts (W-F) and walks plus lots of walking over Labor Day weekend!

What is your favorite stretch after a hard workout? I love sitting and twisting to feel the stretch through my back 
  • Options
    So from what I've read, it seems that you want to build your core by doing exercises that engage your core/pull your abs in, instead of push them out as crunches tend to do. Planks seem to be a source of contention, but I did see a recommendation for side/oblique planks instead of regular planks. Other sources of core strengthening are by engaging your core during pushups, squats, lunges, etc. Exercises like glute bridges on a yoga ball, bird dogs, and pelvic tilts were also recommended. It's still kind of grey, but most of these changes are recommended for after 1st trimester, as your belly starts to expand. They also recommended using a belly binder postpartum to help knit the muscles back together again. (I used one last pregnancy and did not experience any DR, however I also mostly stuck to walking/prenatal yoga last time).

Diastasis Recti resources:
    https://aaptiv.com/magazine/diastasis-recti-prevention 
    https://www.self.com/story/pregnancy-diastasis-recti-exercises
    https://blog.nasm.org/womens-fitness/how-to-prevent-diastasis-recti-with-crunches/
  • Options

I didn't work out at all last week because we were on vacation and gave myself a break. 

My goal is to gradually get back to 4-5 times a week. Going to shoot for 3 this week. 

I love the one one where you sit with your legs stretched out, bend one knee in and grab your toes on the outstretched leg. I am totally not flexible and have the tightest hamstrings so it just feels great!
  • Options

What were your workout challenges and successes this week? Successes last week were my workouts. I got 5 strengthening workouts in and it was awesome. Challenge continues to be all of the goodies I’m eating. :p 

What are your goals for this week? This week has been off as far as my workouts... boooo hoooo... last workout was Monday and I won’t fit one in today as we’ll be traveling. I brought some stuff with me so I can work out tomorrow and over the weekend so that’s my current goal. Make up for some mid week slack. 

What is your favorite stretch after a hard workout? Forward fold. Love just letting go and stretching the hams