April 2019 Moms
Options

Healthy Habits w/o 8/27

What are your diet and exercise goals for the week?

What is your favorite pregnancy-friendly meal?

Re: Healthy Habits w/o 8/27

• Options
    This week, I’m working on continuing my 2-3 long walks (1hr+)/week with DD in her stroller. I’m glad I hit 2 walks last week and I enjoyed what we did while we were out (I found a juice bar we didn’t know existed, for instance).

I also really like when DH offers me salads, which don’t really sound appetizing until he puts them in front of me. I may need to trade some household duties to get that to happen more this week! But in general, more veggies for the whole family is the goal.

I also really want to make these (and finally have all the ingredients!): https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/05/blue-sky-bran-muffins/
  • Options
    My goal last week was 3x45 min walks and I only did 1 @ 30 mins. So I'm gonna shoot for the same goal again this week only hopefully I will be successful lol.

I don't have any pregnancy friendly meals atm and am struggling to find stuff that I not only want to eat but also have the stomach to prep. @lyse01 your idea to have the hubs make something is genius and I am gonna see if he can help me out there. I've been overly sensitive to smells and not gagging while prepping meals has been the hardest part of trying to feed the fam  :s
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @2babes3angels I’ve been doing all the business accounting from the summer that’s piled up, so he’s been offering! It’s awesome.

what do you usually like to eat? Maybe we can throw around some ideas and something will stick!
  • Options
    @lyse01 bless you!! I will take any ideas anyone's got lol!

I usually enjoy salads, Mexican-inspired dishes, or actually any international type of dish, but with emphasis on Mexican lol. We love spicy food.

Basically I've been eating cheese sandwiches lately though bc that's what sounds manageable for my tummy. Can't do that forever though and I also have 4 other people to feed so I definitely need suggestions!!
  • Options
    @2babes3angels Hmm. I had black beans and rice for dinner last week (so did DD) because meat sounded like too much work. It was tasty and decently nutritious.

what about taco salads? You could, on a good day, make up a big batch of seasoned meat and chop the veggies, then just assemble as needed.

How are you with the grill and smells? Does being outside help? We (should have seasoned and) grilled like 15 chicken breasts the other day (insane sale so we bought a ton) and sliced them for use in salads, easy feeding to DD, soup, or whatever else needed cooked chicken. Tortilla soup would be good, and you could add a lot of fajita-type veggies.

I also have a recipe for an amazing Moroccan stew, but I think it may be too labor-intensive for you right now. It’s got prunes and stuff in it which can help with digestive issues others have though!
  • Options
    Diet goals: eat a salad each lunch, along with protein and something carby

Exercise goals: 4-5 days this week, starting today with a lift session

Food: lasagna has been good, and crackers 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm a pretty healthy person and exercise somewhat consistently... I always thought when I was pregnant I would be compelled to be super healthy. Not at all. I just want basic, carb-y food and feel so turned off by my typical breakfast of a green smoothie. Most fresh foods gag me. I just want burritos, basically. :( 
    So this week I'm going to try to eat my veggies and incorporate healthy foods as much as possible. 
    And work out a few times.
    Went to Zumba on Saturday and that was a good low impact class for me. I am trying to walk everyday and go to a few exercise classes, but not really happening!
    Will just do my best this week and be nice to myself.  
    Me & DH ~ 32
    Married 7/6/13

EDD 2/5/21

DD 4/19
  • Options
    @lyse01 all great ideas!! def need to get back on the meal prep train... the grill idea sounds great and my hubs is the grill master of the fam so I dont even have to worry about the smell with that one lol! thank you!! you're a doll  <3
  • Options
    @lyse01 love the ideas! I have been surviving off black bean and cheese burritos because the thought of meat is too much!
  • Options
    Exercise goals: Workout 3x times this week, including at least 2 runs. Probably the elliptical tomorrow, run either Wednesday or Friday, and then another run either Saturday or Sunday. 

Recipes: We do a lot of meal planning at our house since we have two working parents. We had a roast chicken last night, and my husband made salad dressing in advance. So, I think tonight we are having smitten kitchen Caesar Salad and Cauliflower Soup one night. Then tomorrow night we will probably have the Caesar salad again but with leftover chicken, black beans, and avocado to make it more 'southwest.' 
  • Options
    We primarily eat at home but since I haven't been feeling well we've been eating out more frequently. My goal is to eat at home every night this week. 

It's over 90 degrees here so if it is cool enough in the evenings, we will all go on a walk. If not, well....I blame the weather.
  • Options
    Goals: Get to bootcamp 3-4 times(I went today
  • Options
    Why does over half my posts get deleted when I post them?! So annoying 
  • Options
    Goal this week: work out 3 days whether that's a walk with DD or some prenatal yoga. If I count Sunday as last week then I had two days last week so only one more this week to aim for. Today was a bust unless you count chasing my toddler around the house.

Recipes: I don't have a ton but I found a quinoa/broccoli/cheddar casserole type dish today and it was super yummy and healthy as well. It was better than doing what I wanted to which was stop by the pizza place on the way home from picking DD up from daycare. I'm counting it as an accomplishment.

• Options
    I've been struggling recently with my morning walks because I feel horrible if I don't eat before but if I take the time to make something to eat then it is so hot by the time I am out walking. Can I just say I am so ready for the weather to cool down?!
  • Options
    This week, my goal is three 45-min walks and 3 strength training sessions (me, on the floor at home, doing basic pilates and resistance training).  I’m one and one! 

I’ve had a complete aversion to food so far, so I’m trying to get in what I can. My aunt blended her salads during her pregnancies in the 80s. I thought she was crazy! But I realized it works if it tastes good. I freeze spinach, kale, parsley, banana and mango in a ziplock sandwich bag. Then, when I’m ready for it, add sparkling water and a heaping spoonful of crushed ginger and I have a starter meal with some fruit and veggies that tames the nausea. It’s gotten me through several tough days and helped settle my stomach enough to eat lunch or dinner an hour or so later. 

Homemade hummus (canned chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, salt)  has also been good with veggies or crackers. Good vegetarian protein with options to manage how much salt and added fat you put in. Then you can customize with other herbs and spices, like garlic or cayenne. 
  • Options
    I have eaten like a full jerk the past couple of days.  It started with a trip to my (very Italian) mom's house on Friday, and I never got back on track from there.  My goal is to make better food choices the rest of the week - emphasize veggies, protein, and fruit, and cut back on unnecessary snacks!  I'm a teacher who goes back to school next week, so another goal is to make a bunch of freezer meals to save myself from the back-to-work take-out-temptation.
  • Options
    @professormama, those sound like great recipes!  My DH and I need to get better at meal prepping.  He ends up eating out a lot and I'm vegetarian, so I don't generally cook meat-related meals when I'm home.  

I'm with everyone on wanting cooler weather.  I felt okay yesterday until I walked out into the heat and humidity, and my nausea suddenly spiked.  Ugh.  I'm ready for fall!

@MeridethKimble, that's a good idea about the smoothies.  I haven't had the ingredients stocked to make my own, but I did try to sneak in a Panera green smoothie last week and my stomach accepted it... maybe I'll have to suck it up and buy spinach today.

@ashtuesday, I'm with you on healthier eating this week.  Last week was a bust.  They're super sugary, but have you tried premade smoothies like Bolthouse farms?  I've stashed a few in the fridge for when plain water tastes gross and drink just a bit at a time.  I was also looking at getting some V8 Fusion juices since they're a mix of veggie juice and fruit, but all the kinds my store had also included artificial sugar.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    One complete week of Whole30 accomplished!! This week's goal is to keep doing the diet, I think I feel a little better on it than I did before. I also want to make it to 3 yoga classes this week, I went to 2 last week and really enjoyed them, so I'm hoping to keep up the new habit! Also, this morning I took the 6 flights of stairs up to my office just to avoid talking to someone in the elevator, lol, so I'm totally counting that as a workout also!  :tongue:

I also wanted to post the link to an egg muffin recipe that's been my breakfast for the past week, and it's been great when I'm feeling a little nauseous. For vegetarians or others that can't stomach meat, you could easily sub in spinach and feta for the bacon, or whatever other combo sounds good to you. https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/sweet-potato-bacon-egg-muffins/

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kangstadt That's a really smart idea, I have to look into it!  I usually love the Naked smoothies, but like you said, loads of sugar - and sometimes they don't sit right when my stomach feels wonky.  What I've actually been doing (for better or worse) is drinking a protein coffee in the morning.  I'm still letting myself drink one cup of coffee per day, although I cut it out entirely during my last pregnancy.  Basically, I make a cup of coffee from the Keurig and let it sit for a while to cool down.  Then I pour the black coffee over ice with one of those caramel Premier protein shakes.  It's fast and easy and makes me feel like I did something right to start my day!  At first it tasted really artificially sweet, but now I kind of like it.
  • Options
    @irshdancr5500, that looks like a yummy egg muffin recipe!  I've been craving sweet potatoes lately (I force myself to eat eggs on a good day, lately they've turned my stomach), so maybe I'll be able to trick myself into eating eggs with them.

@ashtuesday, hey, anything to sneak some protein in!  I can't do caffeine, but I like Bolthouse Farms protein smoothies also.  Again, really high on sugar, but okay occasionally.  The mango ones are my go-to, although the mocha cappuccino ones might be my favorite (caffeine gives me migraines though so I always suffer for it).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kangstadt, the sweet potatoes and coconut milk make it sweeter and add a texture that's a lot better than just plain egg. I hope if you try it, they work for you! Although, my DH and DS also love them, so hopefully someone would be able to eat it even if you can't.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I'm continuing to bike to work which gets my heart rate up. I need to start walking more. I walked twice a day for 20 minutes at work during my first pregnancy. I'd also like to do some more stretching.

For food, I need to get back into my meal planning because we've just been flying by the seat of our pants. Although my mom is visiting this week, so she's been doing all the cooking. Thanks mommy <3

Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    My struggle with meal planning is that while I have no trouble doing it, by the time it comes to actually MAKE what I planned, it sounds disgusting. I may or may not have a box of Cheese-Its and a bag of original Lays hiding at my desk at work....
  • Options
    @mrstmoose I feel you 100% about the meal planning. Food is hard in these early weeks  :/
  • Options
    @kangstadt okay, update, the cauliflower soup came out slightly bitter. My husband said that next time he would roast the cauliflower in advance to bring out more sweetness. So if you decide to try that recipe, be advised.

Also, we realized we forgot to buy lettuce. So instead of having chicken Caesar salad tonight, we are using the leftover stock from last night's soup to make a southwest chicken soup. Black beans, avocado, chicken, cheese, etc. Should be pretty good. 

I so not working out today. I just lectured for 3 hours straight and I'm officially going to be sitting or laying down for the rest of the day. I don't know how people survive in jobs where they stand all day. It is killer. 
  • Options
    I’ve already failed at my goal of eating healthier this week. I took one bite of my sanwhich today and the tomatoes and lettuce made me gag so badly that I couldnt even stand the smell of it anymore. I’m going to try to make more smoothies this week so I at least can get a couple of servings of veggies in me. I hate that I can’t eat any veggies without gagging because I feel so much better when I eat them. All these carbs are just making me feel crummy. 
    Also I’ve reduced my weights and intensity at bootcamp but I am extremely sore this week. Even just going on a 2.5 mile family bike ride last night made crotch area sore(sorry tmi) and that never happens. 
  • Options
    I go to PT 3x per week for my knee.  It isn't hard exercise in the traditional sense, but thanks to hormones, I sweat SO MUCH no matter what I'm doing. My physical therapist was bending my knee FOR me and I was visibly sweating - ay carumba!  This whole fit pregnancy may be harder than I thought!
  • Options
    @ashtuesday, some PT is no joke! When it's isolating a single muscle at a time, it's incredible how difficult it can be.  I'm with you on the sweating, it's been so hot I'm just ready for fall weather already!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My son kept me honest this morning. I was totally going to bail on working out. But he specifically asked to go on a run, and run with me at the beginning and end. I couldn’t say no to that. So I got in a little over a mile this morning. Not my best, but at least I did it. Also, it was already 80° at 7:30 this morning. Blah
  • Options
    Oh cool, a second workout I didn’t want. I get to walk a mile to work this morning because there is zero parking on my campus. I drove around for half an hour before giving up, going home, and starting to walk in the 90° heat. 
  • Options
    Great job @professormama Every little push helps!
    My eating has been for shit lately.  I am just eating crap because that is all I want.  I am so sick of eating salads or anything healthy.  I pack a healthy breakfast and lunch and we make healthy dinners (at least during the week), but I am snacking way more than I want to.  I need to get this crap under control.  I just feel at a loss today.  I have been getting in at least four workouts a week, two so far this week, but I did skip this morning.
    Me (35) & DH (35)
    Married: August 2009
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Options
    Thanks for all the food tips! I guess I'm not the only one struggling with food this week ;)

My goal this week is two yoga classes, and I'm to also trying  to do a bit of walking every day ca 30 min.

I really want to get back to eating more sallads, but I'm all of a sudden feeling like everything is tasting super bitter... No olives, green peppers or bitter lettuce goes...

So far the best meal has been lentil soup. So yummy and healthy and you can make a huge batch that lasts for days. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I almost over did it yesterday. Big storms were coming, and DH was still at work. So I had to carry in all the patio furniture and a million children’s toy(why do my kids need 2 dozen ride on toys?)
    My house sits on a hill and my yard is about 4 acres and I definitely overheated myself dragging furniture and toys up the hills. I didn’t feel well the rest of the night. DH was mad I did it when he said he would but I knew he wasn’t going to be home in time to put everything away before the storm hit.
    So I took today off from workouts so my body could rest. So remember ladies, listen to your bodies and don’t over do it!
  • Options
    socks2819 said:
    My eating has been for shit lately.  I am just eating crap because that is all I want.  I am so sick of eating salads or anything healthy.  I pack a healthy breakfast and lunch and we make healthy dinners (at least during the week), but I am snacking way more than I want to.  I need to get this crap under control.  I just feel at a loss today.  I have been getting in at least four workouts a week, two so far this week, but I did skip this morning.
    I feel exactly the same!! Before I found out I was pregnant I had been doing so well on weight watchers and was eating really well, and the last 3 weeks have been atrocious as all my body wants is carbs and snacks.
    Unfortunately my morning sickness id vague nauseous feeling that makes me want carbs so eating way more than normal.
    Also since I've been feeling tired and rundown have given in to cravings I cakes, biscuits etc, I've put back on 2.5kg already and feel awful. Must get myself back on track!
  • Options
    @kattle I used to keep dried fruit in my desk to avoid vending machine carbs. Maybe worth a try?