August 2018 Moms

“Magic pill” for cervical ripening?!

Ladies, I’m scheduled at 4pm today to go get a pill to help my cervix ripen. They told me 3 weeks ago or so I was a centimeter dilated and starting to soften but it’s not progressing so they want to help since my due date was the 15th. If it doesn’t work I’ll be induced Monday. Any success stories with this “magic” pill? And how long will I be in the hospital?

Re: “Magic pill” for cervical ripening?!

• Is it cervadil?  I think they use that as an induction technique.  So if it works you will be in the hospital until you have a baby and are released.  If it doesn't work they'll have to induce with a Foley bulb instead.  I'm not sure how long the cervadil is active in your system but I'd guess at least 4-6 hours.
  • ecwkecwk member
    If you get cytotec you’ll need to be monitored on the machine for twenty minutes prior to getting the dose and for one hour afterwards. You have to wait four hours between doses. They may opt to use it in conjunction with the Foley balloon too. At least that’s how it is in my hospital. 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had cervadil prior to being given pitocin for a scheduled inducement (first baby). It didn't end up helping my cervix thin/efface, but did give me  strong contractions (not expected). My doctor wanted it to stay in for 12 hours before giving me the pitocin, but my body did not tolerate it - I made it 6 hours before they gave me an early epidural, followed by the pitocin. Another 6 hours later, my baby girl was born. Hope this helps!