Infertility

FET with a 3cc blast- looking for some guidance

hi ladies- our first go with IVF produced less embryos than we’d hoped. Our fresh transfer of a 1bb ended in a chemical this week. We have a 3cc frozen because it was a late developer. I’m debating doing an FET with the 3cc or starting a new IVF cycle, hopefully with better luck. Has anyone have success with a lower quality embryo? Is it worth the time, money, energy, pain, bloating, etc. to start over?? 

Re: FET with a 3cc blast- looking for some guidance

• My understanding is that grading is not really predictive of success. FWIW, our successful transfer was 4bb's. I've seen successes w/ c's though.
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• @pieper20 Grading definitely isn't an absolute indicator of success. As an embryologist, I've seen many embryos graded and then biopsied for PGS testing and it always surprises me the number of "poor" quality embryos that are normal. Better looking embryos have a higher probability of success but don't exclude the poorly graded ones. I would really consider transferring your 3CC before going through another cycle. 
    I am Embryoman - your friendly neighborhood embryologist!
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Loading the player...
  • @embryoman and @mbradfo2- thanks for the insight! I’m trying to stay positive, my brain just associates ‘cc’ with ‘bad’. Since we didn’t do PGS testing this time around, it feels like there are so many unknowns. We’ve decided to do the FET. Crossing my fingers!!