March 2019 Moms
Options

UO 8/16

DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: UO 8/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bdesterhouse I don't think that would be a very unpopular opinion around here.
  • Options
    Self checkout is the worst. I braved the grocery store today, and it was a bad idea because the MS was tough. When I went to checkout there were only express lanes (15 items or less) and self checkout only.  The stupid machine kept yelling at me and the cashier couldn’t help... I about melted down in full on pregnancy hormones.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• Options
    @litzi-2 MH is the worst about that. He has some group chat with his work friends that they're all chatting on at all hours of the day and night. At dinner I turn his phone over so he can't see it and in the car (while he's driving!) I always make him give me his phone and I'll text them for him. I'm guilty too, but not like him and it really bothers me when I see whole families out together and everyone is on their phone.
  • Options
    UO: I love Summer and am bummed that it's almost over.
  • Options
    West Coast beaches are better than East Coast beaches.
  • Options
    @meggyme but Gulf Coast beaches are best.
  • Options
    !southerngirlinwi Disagree! Gulf Coast beaches are muddy.
  • Options
    @meggyme Beautiful white, soft sand, warm water. Sounds best to me! :)
  • Options
    And 99*, 80% humidity and 85* water. No thanks. Getting in the water should be refreshing, not like stepping out of an armpit into a bucket of sweat. Also, squeaky sand is weird. I've lived in Pensacola, I guess they're known for that.
  • Options
    I've seen this come up a couple times, so I guess I'll share this UO. 

I don't believe in pregnancy brain. I think everyone has times of forgetfulness, some more than others, and it bugs me that people attribute it to pregnancy hormones. The "science" behind pregnancy/mommy brain is pretty suspect. 

• Options
    @lovesclimbing I got screwed over for a project at work and was super upset, and everybody blamed my being upset on pregnancy hormones (God forbid we admit that it was just super sh*tty that I got passed over and I was right to be upset).  I know the hormones are real, but I also think we have reasonable feelings while pregnant that have nothing to do with hormones!
  • Options
    @loveclimbing I can see that. I feel like I don't have mom brain, I just have a million things to think about and sometimes I forget something.

@dtspmama that sucks, and I totally agree. Feelings get hurt whether your pregnant or not and it's demeaning to think we shouldn't be allowed to react as necessary.
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing Yup!!! I think sleep deprivation might contribute at times but it irritates me too! 

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• Options
    @lovesclimbing I think I joked about it once before. I don't believe there's a hormone connection but I think the additional sleep deprivation and just in general having more on our minds does have an effect on memory.
  • Options
    UO: Yeah, pregnancy and childbirth change your brain. Maybe it's just to make you more focused on these tiny beings that need so much 'round the clock care, but I think they are positive changes in the long run. We probably wouldn't have survived this long as a species without it. It's this one track mind of mine that helps me to not leave my kid in a car, but I am constantly leaving home without something I need (like my wallet or phone). Instead of hating the term maybe we should ignore all the jerks who only equate it with negativity and stupid things that anyone would do.

@litzi-2 - I agree. Technology can definitely be abused and is everyday by lots of people (including my DH sometimes). I will admit though, I am glad to have places like this board to get a few minutes talking with other moms. It's a lonely STAHMs sanity saver.
  • Options
    @coffeeandcupcakes I think you hit the nail on the head. My “mommy brain” after my first was just a shift in priorities. Instead of focusing 100% on my work, like before I had kids, I now was focusing 50% on my kid and 50% on my work. We all only have so much bandwidth, and it’s natural to have to split this among competing priorities. 

For new moms, don’t worry, you will adjust to this too. I remember in the months after my daughter was born thinking, how will I ever fully focus again? But you get used to it, just like everything else.
  • Options
    Re: "the Mommy brain"
    After 2 kids, I may forget the odd thing but I can also tell you at what level all of the families necessities are at and what is going on in my family. For example, we have half a bottle of ketchup, 7 eggs, DD1s toothpaste will run out in the next week or so, DD2 has approx 17 diapers left, dance payments are due next week, I need to buy a birthday gift for a party DD1 is going to in 2 weeks etc. etc.  With that much going on at one time, ya, I drop a few unimportant balls.

• Options
    @dtspmama people actually said that its probably just pregnancy hormones? oh my goodness i would be so angry. sorry that happened and they said that. that just sucks.

@Lbloom i agree, it is nice sometimes. this board and other "bedrest" boards were helpful when i was pregnant with my first, helped me get through. everything in moderation, i think.
  • Options
    @shrub I am impressed. These are the kinds of things I am perpetually forgetting. I have to do an inventory before I grocery shop every week. Last week I ran out of toilet paper, overnight pull-ups, and garlic, yet I have 3 unopened containers of tamari in my cabinets! 
  • Options
    @maggiemadeit we had bottles and bottles of ranch dressing because everytime I was at the store I was convinced thats what we needed. Like 5 weeks in a row.  :#

• Options
    I think it's understandable that you would forget more things once you are thinking about and remembering more things and possibly working on less sleep. That's not so much what I'm talking about. That's not "mommy brain" or "pregnancy brain," that applies to any sort of lifestyle where you're remembering more things and under more stress and getting less sleep such as moving to a higher level job or getting ready for a cross-country move. 

I'm talking about the "science" that says moms become more stupid, they literally lose brain cells and their brains shrink, when they have children. 

Here's the study that tends to get cited. https://www.ajnr.org/content/23/1/19.full If you read it, you'll notice they studied and drew their conclusions from a whopping 14 women!! /sarcasm And only nine of them had a normal pregnancy, the others had preeclampsia. And only two of them had had pictures taken of their brains prior to pregnancy. 

Check out this. The comments are fascinating (and one of the places I found the above link.) 

https://www.askamanager.org/2016/01/is-it-okay-to-mention-mommy-brain-in-a-job-interview.html
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing I hate that people actually think like that. If you have to ask "is it okay to discriminate against a class of people (ie, moms)?" maybe you shouldn't be a manager.
  • Options
    @lovesclimbing Yes, this study is terribly flawed and unfortunately it got picked up by tons of major media outlets and was poorly reported over and over again! 

• Options
    My UO is I love being at the beach but hate to swim in the ocean. 

I used to love it but one year the water was super salty and it really irritated my nipples, and it just seems the water is always so rough. It’s tough because my daughter is basically Moana and LOVES the ocean! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    @mamakate1616 the closest I've gotten to the ocean was seeing it in San Diego at the National Cemetary above a cliff, and I'll be honest that was close enough for me. I even have issues with some lakes and rivers. Too many creepy creatures. I'll swim in a pool anyday though. 

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @litzi-2  YES! I mean, I'm no saint. I certainly spend time on my phone but not everywhere by any means and I definitely try to find some balance. If I'm with my husband I'll usually just leave it behind because I just need some time sans-phone!  

@3rdtime_charmed It's the worst! I avoid it all the time. Sometimes at our Target they will force you to use it. There will be only one register open so if you don't use the self checkout, then you are waiting in a line that's a gazillion people long. BOO! 

I don't really have my own UO this week. I don't really care about too much at the moment except for, it's friday (hell yeah!) and my husband just brought me home ice-cream. From Cold Stone. Double hell yeah! 
  • Options
    LilLambieLilLambie member
    edited August 2018
    @dtspmama that's actually why I haven't announced my pregnancy at work. I've had 2 meltdowns that are completely valid, but I know if they know I'm pregnant they wouldn't take me seriously. Me crying to my boss got the results that have been a long time coming and I'm not allowing them to use 'pregnancy hormones' against me.

Little boy due July 31st 2016

• Options
    Just to go off the “pregnancy brain” thing, I told my new boss (just got a promotion before I found out) that I was pregnant and he goes “oh man what bad timing, you’re going to have pregnancy brain and not be able to learn everything that we are training you. So we’re going to have to train you longer.” Excuse me but being pregnant does not affect my ability to learn.. ??? Also didn’t realize I had to time my life around a new job. I am a strong believer that it’s never the right timing to have a baby, and this is my second. I wasn’t going to put adding to our family on hold just because I got a new job, I’d rather have the baby tbh. 

Maybe not the right thread to share this but I needed to vent to people who understand. :)
  • Options
    @mamakeeg wow that is SO obnoxious!!!!!!! honestly all the more reason to crush the training and crush the new gig. i'd like to think you'll "show him" but then again there's that saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"....... ugh!!!!! 
  • Options
    @mamakeeg that’s awful and probably discriminatory IMO

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• Options
    @lovesclimbing I think you are right about pregnancy brain, mama brain, etc.  I hate to admit having bought into this idea, but for me the power of suggestion can be incredibly strong.  Confession—I felt “dumber” when I bleached my hair in high school, then “regained” my intelligence when I went back to brunette.  Hah.

My UO of the moment: Kraft Mac & Cheese is one of the best foods ever made, despite how many nasty chemicals probably still go into the box.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    @mill1020 we love Velveeta Mac and cheese at our house. Seriously is the best. Great now that’s what I want for breakfast.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @mamakeeg that sucks that was his reaction, but I agree with indigoheights that when you crush his low expectations you'll just look like that much more of a rock star!
  • Options
    @mill1020 not unpopular here! I have totally been craving Kraft Mac & cheese recently!
  • Options
    @mamakeeg - That stinks! I think our mom brains rule! We are cognitively primed to take in new information, tell him to stuff it! (If only in your mind, and then a previous poster was right, time to rock that training!)
  • Options
    Thanks for the uplifting words you guys! You’re definitely right I’m gonna do my best to kill it. Super discriminatory, but I wouldn’t expect him to understand unfortunately. Pregnancy has no effect on my ability to learn! I keep telling my self that.