Infertility
Options

Acupuncture?

Is anyone doing acupuncture?  From what I can tell there is a possible positive benefit prior to/during IVF.  I went to my first appointment for electro-acupuncture yesterday. I wasn't expecting the electro part.  The Dr just did points on my back/legs and I didn't even know that I had 10 needles until I asked how many there were as they were taking them out.  It was probably better that way since I was pretty apprehensive about it.  I'm going back for my next appointment Thursday. I'm wondering if they will do the same or different points. 

Re: Acupuncture?

• Options
    mayflower513mayflower513 member
    edited August 2018
    I didn’t do IVF without acupuncture so I don’t have a comparison but I did it for the cycle I had and had success.
    Pregnancy TickerAbout me: *TW*

Me: 34, DH: 38                                                                                                                                                                                
    TTC #1 June of 2014  9/14 BFP, baby boy EDD 5/18/15. Elias (Eli) born 5/13/15 7lb0oz, 19 inches.                                      
    Surprise BFP 10/15, live ectopic, lost ruptured tube on 11/5/15 at 8 weeks                                                                              
    Started TTC #2 2/16                                                                                                                                                                   
    HSG 1/18 after no BFPs- diagnosed w/ tubal infertility and referred to RE                                                                     
    3/28/18 remaining tube removed                                                                                                                                              
    IVF 5/18: 15 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 8 blasts -- (3) 4aa, (2) 5aa (2) 4ba frozen -- fresh transfer of 1 day-5 4aa blast, BFP, EDD 2/4/19

• Options
    I've asked two REs about acupuncture and they were both happy for me to have it alongside treatments. I'm really lucky in that my oldest friend is both a nurse and an acupuncturist - an she insists on doing it for free :) (I owe her many lunches!). In all the times she's done it on me though she's never put them in my back or back legs - always on the front. Quite often on my lower legs and feet and sometimes on my tummy - both below and above my navel, sometimes my wrists, and also in my ears - which feels very strange! At different times of the cycle she puts them in different places. Apparently it is particularly effective around the time of transfer. Both times when I had a transfer she did it both in the morning before the transfer and the evening when I got home (both times I had a successful implantation - albeit temporarily).

I think many people do it - but the cost and the hassle of extra appointments can put people off. Good luck with it!
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me 39, DH 40
    Married Oct 2010, TTC ~7yrs
    Seeing RE since Spring 2013
    Clomid - no response
    Letrozole (6 months) 2015 
    Laperoscopy/Hysteroscopy in 2015
    Puregon injectibles + trigger x5 in 2016 - all BFN
    Started IVF March 2017 - 25 follies, 9 eggs, 3 fertilised, 1 survived-> frozen due to hyper stimulation of ovaries
    FET May 16th 2017, BFP May 27th 2017, m/c @ 9wks
    IVF #2 February 2018 - 16 eggs, 8 fertilised, 3 frozen embabies
    Awaiting FET April 2018 - cancelled (cyst)
    FET May 2018, BFP June 2nd 2018, m/c @ 8wks
    FET October 2018 - BFN
    Final FET - late November 2018

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did acupuncture throughout all my treatments and found it helpful - even in the unsuccessful cycles we did with OE.  I was really glad I did it directly before and after my DE embryo transfer.  It helped me relax.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog