April 2019 Moms

Things I wish I had known...

Alright, second time (and more!) mamas.  Let's hear your pregnancy, labor, delivery, postpartum, nursing, and etc advice for any first time mamas that you wish you had been told!

As for me, I wish I had known how much bleeding happens post-delivery.  I knew, vaguely, but it was still a shock when I stood up to move to the recovery room and suddenly the floor looked like a horror movie.  Also wish I had more knowledge about PPD/PPA.  I was in denial that I needed help with my first - with this being my second pregnancy, I'm going to be much more vocal and proactive with my DH's help to keep an eye out for signs.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Things I wish I had known...

• This is a pretty small thing. But with my first I really procrastinated on moving to maternity clothes, getting a snoogle, and just generally doing things that would have made me more comfortable. I wish I had let myself do those things earlier. Instead I wore underwire bras, belly bands with regular jeans, and normal T-shirt’s stretched over my bump well into the second trimester. All because I went into a maternity store and a woman told me to go away and come back when I was more pregnant
  • @professormama what in the world? Told you to go away? I would have totally done a Pretty Woman moment “big mistake, huge!”.

In regards to pregnancy, I wish I had told my boss earlier because I was so sick. I had to go in and do a lot of overtime during my 1st trimester and I wouldn’t have had to do that and push through the sickness if I had just told him. 

I was totally naive and unprepared mentally for a newborn and breastfeeding. I just thought it would be easy and natural. I thought my LO would sleep and I’d get so much done over my leave. Sure newborns sleep 20 hours a day but it was mostly on you. The sleep deprivation really messed with me. I wish I had bought a swing too. We got a mamaroo and she hated it. When I went back to work daycare told me she loved the swing and it helped her nap. A lot of my friends swear by a rock n play so we’ll be buying both this time around. 

I also didn’t realize how much breastfeeding hurts and I didn’t know I had inverted nipples which made things harder. Luckily everything worked out but it was sheer determination on my part and a lot of crying. It was hit or miss with the lactation consultants I saw. But I don’t agree with their advice to not give a paci, DD needed it because otherwise she’d comfort suck on me for hours. 

I was was also lucky to have mom come stay with us after birth. We were in the hospital from Sunday to Thursday and DH only had 1 week vacation. She was the one who forced me to get into the car to go to the DR office so I could get treated for my PPA. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @professormama, oh my goodness, I can't believe a clerk would tell you that!  Ugh.  People are ridiculous.  I'm definitely already wearing more loose fitting clothing just to feel more comfortable (and hide the bloat).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wish I had known about doulas. I had a nurse from hell who wouldn’t listen to anything I had to say. My husband was too shy to advocate for me so I ended up with a painful procedure and an epidural when I really didn’t need it. I had already gone through the hard part and was basically ready to push. I think they just wanted the student nurses to see the procedures. 

Also so I wish I knew that I didn’t need all that baby crap. I had so much stuff that just cluttered my house and wasted my money. You just need the essentials at first 
  • I wish I had known more about c-sections.  I didn't plan on having one, but my daughter ended up flipping breech at the last minute and I had to have an emergency c/s.  I wish I would've read up about them, like what to expect, tips and tricks to make things easier.  It was hard but now I know. 
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • @gollygeeitsamy and @kangstadt I actually don’t think the clerk was TRYING to be a jerk. I’m a very small person, and they just didn’t sell clothes in 0 or 00 sizes. I think her logic was that if I came back in a few months I might fit in the 2s or 4s they carried. But pregnancy didn’t change my body type. Especially since I had hypertension, which kept my baby small. I ended up realizing later that I just needed to order stuff online. This time around I’m going to try renting clothes from LeTote. 

@gollygeeitsamy I had inverted nipples too, and my son had a severe tongue tie. Nursing was agony!!!! I had no idea how hard it was going to be. I’m glad I stuck with it, since eventually it did work for us. But damn, so many ppl make nursing sound like this idyllic bonding. I thought it was just misery for the first 4 months. 
  • I wish I would have known inductions can fail. I had to have two of them to get my son out. I personally, unless necessary, would never get one again. It turned out to be a week long process and then my son in NICU for a week. But some people do great with them, just my experience.

I wish I would have known not to be so stressed about breastfeeding. It's such a wonderful thing but I put so much pressure on myself. My son had a rough start so I had to do both formula & BF. Which is great because we just need them to be fed! 

Find your mom voice that sticks up for your child because you are going to have to use it a lot. I'm a people pleaser so it was tough but you are your child's advocate! They need you to speak up and you know best. 

Mother's intuition is real thing! Follow your gut.

As tough as it is, and I'm still learning, just keep things simple. There are so many things out there to stress about. Don't have expectations with most things. Things will always go not according to plan but it's beautiful anyways. 

• @ShallowSeas I'm with you on c sections. I had zero intentions of anything with medication. Butttt then i had 2 kidney stones asst 36 weeks,  found out he was breech and when they went to flip him, the placenta tore... out he came, straight to the nicu for premature lungs. Lots of meds needed for both of us. Wish I would've known more. This time ill be prepared... fingers crossed for a vbac!

Also glad we packed the bag early, but would have been nice to have had a pump already. Had to run to the store after he was transferred to another hospital. Didn't think we'd need 1 so soon... being in the nicu wasnt something I'd think would ever happen.... hope for the best, prepare for the worst i guess!

• I'm sure I'll add more but the first three months are the hardest of your life... and then somehow it gets easier

If you are nursing or pumping you will smell like sour milk all the time

A few days after having baby you will get Dolly Parton boobs and your husband will be excited, but they will hurt so bad you will murder him if he touches them

You will be excited to sleep on your belly again but will wake up soaking wet bc it squeezed all the milk out 

• The squirt bottle at the hospital will be your best friend... especially of you tear
  • And last one before I give it a rest for now.... you will most likely still look pregnant after you have baby
  • @dapoint23, yes, to all of this.  I never realized I would actively squirt milk in my DH's face, or that brushing against anything (including shirts) would hurt like a mo'fo.  And smelling like sour milk is definitely not something I'm looking forward to this time around, knowing how much more laundry it'll cause...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wish I had known how BIG of a difference small bad food choices would make!  I didn't have any major cravings and the bad heartburn I DID have kept me from eating my usual guilty pleasures (pizza, Chinese, etc.), so I thought I was in the clear.  But I allowed myself indulgences - while I was pregnant, I ate real ice cream instead of Halo Top and regular syrup instead of sugar free, for example.  And while I didn't have cravings, I did have aversions so the only things that didn't seem to make me sick were red meat and carbs.  So. many. carbs.  I would eat cereal for breakfast (two bowls, because that's the only way I could get through my morning classes), dry cereal as a snack when I got home, cereal for dinner after whatever I or my husband actually made nauseated me.  At a point, I was literally going through a BJ's box of cereal in a WEEK - that is insane!  So needless to say, I gained way more weight than I should have.  I felt super confident and cute all throughout my pregnancy, but the minute my daughter was born, I felt really bad about myself.  This time, I plan on making better food choices throughout (and fighting the damn hormones that tell me to do otherwise!) so I don't wind up feeling down in the end.  I don't want anything distracting me from my family!
  • A few more fast ones.  I wish I had:
    • Started the Spinning Babies exercises sooner.  They helped so much with my discomfort!  As did the Snoogle.
    • Skipped underwire nursing bras.  I bought them because I needed new bras and still wanted to feel feminine, but I carried my daughter high: spread out ribs + underwire = discomfort!  So I wound up having to buy ANOTHER set of bras for pregnancy.
    • Registered for fewer blankets and pacifiers, but more sleepsack swaddles and crib savers.  And registered for a nicer stroller: we didn't expect there to be much of a difference, but the lesser quality is really noticeable when we go out for walks.
    • Told my coworkers and students sooner.  We waited until 19 weeks because PGAL brain is real, but their support and positivity really helped me feel optimistic myself.
    • Bought a home doppler sooner.  It was an easy way to calm myself the heck down when I was overly anxious.
    • Not packed as much junk in my hospital bag - I wound up using next to nothing!
  • I wish I would have known more about being an advocate for myself during labor and delivery. My DD was breech and we didn't realize so they pressured me into a c-section although it was completely unnecessary, there are breech deliveries that are completely normal. I would have done more research and been more aggressive with my wishes. This time around I'm doing a HBAC with a fantastic team of midwives so things will be different.

• @dapoint23 #truthabouttheperibottle I loved that thing.
  • I wish I would have known about the crazy hormone swings after giving birth, and wished I had reached out for help

I wish I had known that the idea that breastfeeding helps you lose weight is not true for everyone

I wish I would have bought a home Doppler, I totally want one this time around

Unfortunately an induction is medically necessary for me but I wish I had down ahead of time that I wouldn't be allowed to walk around or try other positions. I'd like to do more research this time and see if I still can
  • MrsJP20082015MrsJP20082015 member
    edited August 2018
    I wish I was prepared for the post partum hair loss & texture change! Hoping this doesn’t happen this pregnancy! 
  • On a positive note (I remember how I felt as a FTM being overwhelmed with advice and negative stories, not saying they don't happen, but...):

I never knew how absolutely and completely in love I would fall with my newborn.  That moment they come into the world, regardless of how they get there, is like nothing you'll ever experience.  I think DH and I both cried holding him for the first time.  I cannot wait to meet this little peanut.

<3
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt this is very true but it is also perfectly normally not to have that instant fall in love moment... don't feel guilty if it doesn't hit you immediately
  • @dapoint23, oh, absolutely.  I should have added that to my post, didn't mean to make anyone feel "wrong," for not having that moment.  I had that moment but then I ended up with PPD which made it very hard for me to feel like bonding with a newborn, so I can see both sides of the spectrum.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt no worries! And that makes me think of another... I had PPD with my second and something that I was completely unaware was a symptom was rage... thankfully only directed at my husband and never the kids
  • I wish I would have known more about PPD and talked to my OB about possible prevention and treatment. Before we even started trying for this one I came up with a plan with my OB that includes starting zoloft 30 days out from my due date. 

I also wish I would have known about the rock hard milk boobs that pour out milk like a busted fire hydrant and the insane bleeding that lasts for weeks after delivery.

I REALLY wish someone would have told me how freaking heavy those car seats are. I used to watch veteran moms carrying those seats around like nothing, but it was so hard for me to get used carrying it. Especially after just having a csection.
  • I wish I knew that breast feeding isn't for everyone. I wish I knew I didn't have to feel guilty for feeding my son whatever way possible. 
    He was losing weight because my body just wasn't making enough milk. No matter how much water I drank or different foods or supplements I added. No matter how much I pumped. My supply did not increase.
    During one low point I read something that just hit me and made me feel much better...I live in the US where formula is easily purchased. My son wasn't going to starve because we had other options. So as shitty as I felt that nursing didn't work out for us, I considered myself lucky because he could still eat and thrive and wasn't fully dependent on me (thank god). 
  • Here’s my thoughts...

1. Birthplans. I commend you if you’re the person who writes multiple page birth plans but please don’t get all wrapped around an axel in doing it a certain way. In the end the plan is to give birth in the way that is most healthy to you and baby. Plan and research every possibility because you NEVER know what will happen. 

2. If you’re having a vaginal birth ask your nurses, doula or midwife to massage you so you don’t tear. I didn’t ask but had a wonderful nurse who worked the tissue and I delivered a 9.5 lb baby with a head in the 99th percentile with 0 tearing. 

3. Don’t bother registering for clothes. People buy them no matter what. 

4. The skin on your stomach is not going to be pretty post delivery. Mine looked like a deflated balloon. I cried. But it goes back. 

5. Don’t get too many bottles or pacifiers pre-baby. You don’t know what they will prefer and it could be a waste of money. 

Good luck mamas! 
  • I also wish I’d known how much bleeding happened after delivery. And along with the bleeding (and having to use pads instead of tampons) the diaper rash you’d get!  Had to send my mom out for diaper cream lol. At least this time I’ll already have some from DD. 
  • Oh... Raid all the supplies in the hospital. Bring an extra backpack for them. Have a family member take it home and dump it out and bring it back for more. Mesh panties, diapers, pads, etc etc. Anything you and pilfer. Lol 

Oh and @jessicaschafer8 mentioned your stomach will go back. Well... Sometimes i won't. Your body might never be the same. But it's done something absolutely incredible. Honor it. Give yourself some grace that after growing and nourishing and keeping a human alive in and out of you, your body will have some battle wounds. You do your best to be healthy ... But it's ok if your body is never the same. You're still beautiful. 
  • @berky84 my kids like seeing the stretch marks that they made on my tummy ... we call them "love stripes" lol
  • @dapoint23 I love the idea of calling them "love stripes", I'm totally doing that :-)
  • Don't try to be a hero, and trust your body over what you "know."  I was so focused on not being the wimp that goes to the hospital too soon and timing my contractions to 3-5 minutes apart for an hour that when I skipped over that window I almost didn't get to the hospital in time.

Also regarding not being a hero, it's alright to have physical limits.  As you get more and more pregnant, there are going to be certain things you're just not able to do, and that's ok.  It's so easy to get frustrated when it takes you an hour to load the dishwasher or you can't bend at the right angle to put on a fitted sheet, but just let it go - soon enough you'll be much more capable again.  I was always trying to keep pace with my non-pregnant self and that's just not an option.

Take pictures with you in them!  That's when you're pregnant and after the baby comes.  Yes, you're going to look like crap sometimes (most of the time once the baby comes), but even if you don't share them with anyone, at least you have pictures with your baby for your own memories.

Lastly, experiment with different swaddles and sleep sacks because they may help you get a good night's sleep.  Completely swaddled like a burrito is not the only option.  My son hated his arms pinned down, but also wouldn't sleep when he wasn't being held because he was looking for comfort.  Months later, on a whim, I tried an arms up swaddle (which I hadn't even known existed) and we got about 2 months of decent sleep...until he started rolling over, but hey, we take what we can get.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a micropreemie so my experience is colored with that:

- get the registry done early because, really, you don’t know when the baby is coming and if it comes early, you have much bigger things to worry about than the registry. At the same time, people want to buy when the baby is born, not when the baby gets home, so it’s way better to just have a link to point them to.

- even when you have them and have put good thought into why you want a particular brand of something, registries are ignored by many people (ahem, MIL who doesn’t understand Amazon).

- seriously consider a chest freezer for pumped milk storage and freezer meals. I was blessed with an abundant milk supply and at one point had maxed out the space they had for me at the hospital AND virtually the entire home freezer. I would have really liked space for some pre-made casseroles, lasagnas, stews, soups, bags o’ veggies to dump on a sheet pan and bake, etc.
  • Man this is such a blast from the past. My youngest just turned three so reading through these comments had a lot of memories flooding back.

I would say- cut yourself some slack. Once baby comes, and even though you've grown them for the last nine months, they're a stranger; someone you're going to have to get to know. It can be particularly challenging to get to know what a baby wants when they don't even know what they want.

PPD is real and doesn't always look the same. Looking back, I'm convinced I had it with my second. I did not feel bonded with her at all. I only fed/held her because I knew she HAD to be taken care of, not because I WANTED to. I was so grateful when others would ask to hold her because I knew that she was getting fulfilled, when I felt so drained. If you experience this, SPEAK UP. I can remember worrying so much that I would never truly love her. It absolutely changed and she's the apple of my eye now.

Kids are different. My first was some form of rare unicorn. Things were seamless and easy. He was a chill baby who had great communication. My second was frenetic and stressful and my anxieties (which very likely was PPD) probably created that.

Post labor hunger is REAL. Girlfriend prepare to chow down. I was so embarrassed the first time, but the second... shew. I was having a ham sandwich and cereal at 2am in the hospital to recover. Also, that first post partum shower is HEAVEN.

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• * how often you will really sniss yourself. Do your kegels ladies.
    * how much sleep you're not going to get. My DD didn't STTN until she was 9 months old. 
    * definitely get the registry done as soon as you can.
    * only make freezer meals that you know your family will eat. I made a bunch that we had never eaten and we didn't touch them until DD was like 5 months old.

Most importantly: Let people help you once LO is here. You're going to be exhausted, emotional and overwhelmed. Having family or friends to bring food, clean your house, do laundry or just hold the tiny human so you can sleep and take a hot shower is sooooo worth it. I was eternally grateful for my mom and MIL because they helped out so much.
  • I feel like I just tripped down memory lane!  Love this thread.  I totally agree with everyone's posts and here are a few of my thoughts:

- I echo PPD is real.  I didn't have it with my first, but I was a mess with my second.  And I didn't know what was happening. Seek help right away.
    - For my first pregnancy, I was induced and didn't deliver until 36 hours later.  I was on meds so long (pitocin, epidural and a "kicker" for my hot spot) that I did not realize I would have a detox after I delivered.  In the recovery room, I full on had the shakes, crying tantrums, etc.  It was scary.  It was my body coming down from the drugs. I certainly wish someone told me about that.
    - I also agreed with be prepared for anything when it comes to delivery.  I had an emergency c-section with my second because she flipped breech.  I was not mentally prepared for surgery nor was I prepared at home for the recovery.  I had all the things I needed to recover from a vaginal delivery, but nothing for a c-section. Best to be prepared for both.
    - Take everything you can get your hands on from the hospital!
    - You do not need a lot of gadgets when you first bring home your baby. They are a waste of space and money.
    - Listen to your gut and speak up when people are doing things to your baby that you disagree with.  They aren't with you at 3am when that kid is up crying.
    - Schedules are your friend.  Babies and kids need them.  I was a total drill sargent about schedules with my kids and they were both sleeping through the night about a month in.
    - As a follow-up to that, it is okay to let your baby cry a bit.  If you can't get to them immediately because you are attending to yourself or another kid, it's okay.

Me (35) & DH (35)
    Married: August 2009
    DD #1 born 6/12/14
    DD #2 born 10/31/16
    BFP 7/26/18 - EDD 4/6/19
  • Just remembered the night sweats. No one warned me about them and I had no idea what was happening to me. I seriously thought I was dying. That first night she was born, I called the nurse in a PANIC because I woke up drenched in sweat, shivering and couldn’t get it together.
    She just stood there and waited for the crazy to abate. Then, helped me get out of bed to pee.
  • Oh!  How could I forget postpartum hair loss?!  To be fair, somebody did try to tell me right after my son was born, but I was like "eh, I lose so much hair in the shower anyway, I couldn't possibly lose anymore."  The joke was on me because 3 months later there was hair everywhere, including in my kid's diaper and stuck in his little baby rolls.  My poor little robot vacuum got stuck so many times that I don't think he will ever be the same.  I'm now just about 8 months postpartum and I have exclusively baby hairs at each of my temples.  BEWARE - you are probably not immune.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Any bath toys that get water inside will also get mold