Blended Families

Abusive relationship + New baby. Try or go? I really need help.

I need some advice in a serious situation I am in. Do I stay, or do I go? And this needs to happen... I'm stuck in an endless circle and things just dont ever change. Ive been in a relationship of over 5 years, and we have a 3 month old baby girl together. I also have a 7 year old daughter who lives with us, and he has a 7 year old son who lives in CA. I moved in with him to AZ from CA after long distance dating a year. Things started out with so many red flags, and I was a 20 year old idiot and ignored them because I was blind in love. Around when I moved in with him, or shortly after...even more began happening. It started with his family being against me, or insulting me or saying things about my sweet little innocent 7 year old girl... and he would allow it, hell...even partake in it! He wouldn't defend me. He would want me to be attacked. His twin brother always had it out for me, and so did his father. I dodged all these bullets thrown my way because I am strong and he learned to admire me for it. He eventually started defending me... but then, when we would fight he would leave! Always, always, leave to his brothers. He almost would create a fight just to leave! There I am a mess on the floor crying, heartbroken, far away from the ones who love and care about me and abandoned. He would say awful things during a fight, and I would cry and beg to bring him back to surface, back to me. I was his trophy wife, quit modeling because of the issues it caused with us to be with him yet supported his music career.

At this point, I'm done being a doormat. When I stopped taking his shit, things stepped up a notch. He started fighting with me in front of my kid, getting in my face screaming at me, I push him back, he pushes harder. I then defend myself by smacking him, or swattiing his arm, and he strikes me hard. I grew up with physical abuse and maybe thats why I put up with it. But Im not innnocent either - because of my fears I started lashing out at him not afraid to stand up to him. I found myself the more fights we'd get into, the more damage he would inflict, the more I'd be sure to hurt him back next time. I ended up being so sick of being treated like shit, taken advantage of, and the fights. I left. Then he begged me for me back, of course - I returned, but he actually changed...he actually just loved me more. He started valuing my worth. Protecting me. I wanted to move away from his family, and he actually did it. We moved an hour away, and he quit his dead beat job he made nothing at ( I carried us financially, always...) to move closer to my job since my daughter was starting Kindergarten. Well, he was empty after a while. The fights returned, or more so never really stopped... every house we moved to were terrible memories inside of them. My daughter had witnessed far too much at this point already. Has heard every name in the book, has seen me physcially hard and also me harm him...I always tried to get him to understand how fighting in front of her was totally fked up and it HAD TO STOP.

When he would hurt my feelings and still to this day, he would never comfort me. He literally does not know how to give me love and affection or have empathy for me when Im sad. Its almost like he thinks hes enabling me. He still can't. If I say I want to leave, and I'm done... he says, me too. Theres the door. Never fights for me, never comforts me, horrible history of abuse both physical and emotional. Things got better, a LOT better. We got pregnant, and it felt like we were going to make it...our family was growing, our kids were crazy about eachother. WE were always crazy in love. When we were good, we were always physcially intimate, holding hands, kissing, texting all day long, crazy in love. Well, then the fights happened again. I carried us financially through saving for maternity leave, and it was stressful. Also, ummm...I was freaking pregnant and hormonal! He was impossible when it came to dealing with my emotions and feelings. Maybe its me and I'm too emotional. But, do I really deserve to be tossed aside, never comforted? Always made to feel I am equal in our issues. Thats why I have staye so long. I feel guilty. While he may go into the living room next to my daughters room and start cussing and yelling, and I scream at him to shutup and get away from her room, to go scream outside or in our room... I am screaming too afterall? So I am just as bad. Now he gets in my face, goes near my daughters room and screams and I will try and push him away and he shoves me back and I can't help anymore but swat him away. I feel awful. But I would never intentionally hurt him! I feel like its screwed up because he gets to call it fair now just because I've had to defend myself against him and have succeeded!

His mom is submissive to his dad who is disrecpectful to her, and he expects me to be submissive like her. He calls me manipulative and my daughter maniuplative. I left last week for a week to California, debating to leave him. Told my family (almost) everything, and then I ended up giving him another chance. Well we got along great, he swore it would never happen again the fighting in front of my daughter or losing his temper at me for no reason, just becasue he doesnt like what Im saying or disagrees! We got into a big fight a couple days ago and he was piss drunk (oh did I mention alcohol is a major problem? Quit during our pregnancy and problems still happened...) out of his mind, and we got into a big argument. He said that the time apart was good for us, and that he thinks I should spend more alone time with my family and he would like to too. Then said he missed his brothe and started crying. I told him, I dont have a problem with him spending 1 on one time with his brother, but why would he want to go see his family and their significant others and have ME not be there? WE are a family?! It seems he always wants to leave, he wants to be alone? When I said I was leaving to Cali after he called my kid maniuplative just to push m eover the edge, he split so fast to his brothers!!! His reasoning? Oh I said I was leaving, and he will ALWAYS leave first. I dont want to go to CA without him just because? I called his mom telling her to please tell him to calm down, hes breaking his promises (silly me..) and he calls her saying im brain washing her, im manipulative, he cant do it anymore, hes crying and a fcking MESS. His mom... tells me Im being sensitive!! I cant even.

We didnt talk the last 2 days, he did all this crap next to my kids room where she could hear him. Last night I tried talking to him and he said that he doesnt feel he needs to apolgize. Even though he was piss drunk and saying what he meant wrong (he meant one on one time with his brother, not JUST his family...but was saying it backwards... ) that I was wrong too because I overrreacted. After leaving him!! He tells me he wants to go spend more time with just them and without me?? We go back and forth of me always trying to convince him of the reality bc hes so prideful and what really went down, while he denies and justifies it. He pretty much tells me he feels the same way I do. Regardless of what really happened. He feels strongly about me being the same as him ( worse actually. ) Soo... yeah. Were now fighting after not talking for 2 days, and he tells me this is why I had abuse issues when I was younger. Like its something to hold against me!! I start crying, losing myself, and he comforts me and tells me we will get through it. Now today is seeming like its going back into this normal phase and I CANT. I feel like I need him to tell me that he knows hes harmed me, hes the leading problem and I would never speak to him or lash out at him if I didnt have to or now come to a point that its the same song and dance. I want him so badly to fight for me, but he wont. Now my daughter just started 2nd grade at a new school, this is her 2nd day. I just started a new job one month ago, Im making less money at...Whats holding me back from moving back with my family in CA? I want our family to work. I dont want another failed realtionship, two kids with two different dads. Both long relationships that dindt work out (my oldest daughters father is in prison/junkie... loves her but always been a loser.) and now Im starting over.... I cant stand the thought of it. Im scared. Packing up and seriously leaving? To another state? I love him SO much... I wish we could fix this. We tried counceling at the end of my pregnancy and he never used the tools. He was excited to go and wanted to, read relationship books, he wants to better himself, but battles with his pride against himself and me. What do I do? Im VERY vulenerable and sensitive, so please be nice. Im on the verge of a nervous breakdown and Im terrified of what is happening. Is there hope he can change? He HAS proven he can, my family even agrees. I would do anything for our family to stay together and so would he but were stuck. I'm a fool, I know.

Re: Abusive relationship + New baby. Try or go? I really need help.

• bmacxo said:

I need some advice in a serious situation I am in. Do I stay, or do I go? And this needs to happen... I'm stuck in an endless circle and things just dont ever change. Ive been in a relationship of over 5 years, and we have a 3 month old baby girl together. I also have a 7 year old daughter who lives with us, and he has a 7 year old son who lives in CA. I moved in with him to AZ from CA after long distance dating a year. Things started out with so many red flags, and I was a 20 year old idiot and ignored them because I was blind in love. Around when I moved in with him, or shortly after...even more began happening. It started with his family being against me, or insulting me or saying things about my sweet little innocent 7 year old girl... and he would allow it, hell...even partake in it! He wouldn't defend me. He would want me to be attacked. His twin brother always had it out for me, and so did his father. I dodged all these bullets thrown my way because I am strong and he learned to admire me for it. He eventually started defending me... but then, when we would fight he would leave! Always, always, leave to his brothers. He almost would create a fight just to leave! There I am a mess on the floor crying, heartbroken, far away from the ones who love and care about me and abandoned. He would say awful things during a fight, and I would cry and beg to bring him back to surface, back to me. I was his trophy wife, quit modeling because of the issues it caused with us to be with him yet supported his music career.

At this point, I'm done being a doormat. When I stopped taking his shit, things stepped up a notch. He started fighting with me in front of my kid, getting in my face screaming at me, I push him back, he pushes harder. I then defend myself by smacking him, or swattiing his arm, and he strikes me hard. I grew up with physical abuse and maybe thats why I put up with it. But Im not innnocent either - because of my fears I started lashing out at him not afraid to stand up to him. I found myself the more fights we'd get into, the more damage he would inflict, the more I'd be sure to hurt him back next time. I ended up being so sick of being treated like shit, taken advantage of, and the fights. I left. Then he begged me for me back, of course - I returned, but he actually changed...he actually just loved me more. He started valuing my worth. Protecting me. I wanted to move away from his family, and he actually did it. We moved an hour away, and he quit his dead beat job he made nothing at ( I carried us financially, always...) to move closer to my job since my daughter was starting Kindergarten. Well, he was empty after a while. The fights returned, or more so never really stopped... every house we moved to were terrible memories inside of them. My daughter had witnessed far too much at this point already. Has heard every name in the book, has seen me physcially hard and also me harm him...I always tried to get him to understand how fighting in front of her was totally fked up and it HAD TO STOP.

When he would hurt my feelings and still to this day, he would never comfort me. He literally does not know how to give me love and affection or have empathy for me when Im sad. Its almost like he thinks hes enabling me. He still can't. If I say I want to leave, and I'm done... he says, me too. Theres the door. Never fights for me, never comforts me, horrible history of abuse both physical and emotional. Things got better, a LOT better. We got pregnant, and it felt like we were going to make it...our family was growing, our kids were crazy about eachother. WE were always crazy in love. When we were good, we were always physcially intimate, holding hands, kissing, texting all day long, crazy in love. Well, then the fights happened again. I carried us financially through saving for maternity leave, and it was stressful. Also, ummm...I was freaking pregnant and hormonal! He was impossible when it came to dealing with my emotions and feelings. Maybe its me and I'm too emotional. But, do I really deserve to be tossed aside, never comforted? Always made to feel I am equal in our issues. Thats why I have staye so long. I feel guilty. While he may go into the living room next to my daughters room and start cussing and yelling, and I scream at him to shutup and get away from her room, to go scream outside or in our room... I am screaming too afterall? So I am just as bad. Now he gets in my face, goes near my daughters room and screams and I will try and push him away and he shoves me back and I can't help anymore but swat him away. I feel awful. But I would never intentionally hurt him! I feel like its screwed up because he gets to call it fair now just because I've had to defend myself against him and have succeeded!

His mom is submissive to his dad who is disrecpectful to her, and he expects me to be submissive like her. He calls me manipulative and my daughter maniuplative. I left last week for a week to California, debating to leave him. Told my family (almost) everything, and then I ended up giving him another chance. Well we got along great, he swore it would never happen again the fighting in front of my daughter or losing his temper at me for no reason, just becasue he doesnt like what Im saying or disagrees! We got into a big fight a couple days ago and he was piss drunk (oh did I mention alcohol is a major problem? Quit during our pregnancy and problems still happened...) out of his mind, and we got into a big argument. He said that the time apart was good for us, and that he thinks I should spend more alone time with my family and he would like to too. Then said he missed his brothe and started crying. I told him, I dont have a problem with him spending 1 on one time with his brother, but why would he want to go see his family and their significant others and have ME not be there? WE are a family?! It seems he always wants to leave, he wants to be alone? When I said I was leaving to Cali after he called my kid maniuplative just to push m eover the edge, he split so fast to his brothers!!! His reasoning? Oh I said I was leaving, and he will ALWAYS leave first. I dont want to go to CA without him just because? I called his mom telling her to please tell him to calm down, hes breaking his promises (silly me..) and he calls her saying im brain washing her, im manipulative, he cant do it anymore, hes crying and a fcking MESS. His mom... tells me Im being sensitive!! I cant even.

We didnt talk the last 2 days, he did all this crap next to my kids room where she could hear him. Last night I tried talking to him and he said that he doesnt feel he needs to apolgize. Even though he was piss drunk and saying what he meant wrong (he meant one on one time with his brother, not JUST his family...but was saying it backwards... ) that I was wrong too because I overrreacted. After leaving him!! He tells me he wants to go spend more time with just them and without me?? We go back and forth of me always trying to convince him of the reality bc hes so prideful and what really went down, while he denies and justifies it. He pretty much tells me he feels the same way I do. Regardless of what really happened. He feels strongly about me being the same as him ( worse actually. ) Soo... yeah. Were now fighting after not talking for 2 days, and he tells me this is why I had abuse issues when I was younger. Like its something to hold against me!! I start crying, losing myself, and he comforts me and tells me we will get through it. Now today is seeming like its going back into this normal phase and I CANT. I feel like I need him to tell me that he knows hes harmed me, hes the leading problem and I would never speak to him or lash out at him if I didnt have to or now come to a point that its the same song and dance. I want him so badly to fight for me, but he wont. Now my daughter just started 2nd grade at a new school, this is her 2nd day. I just started a new job one month ago, Im making less money at...Whats holding me back from moving back with my family in CA? I want our family to work. I dont want another failed realtionship, two kids with two different dads. Both long relationships that dindt work out (my oldest daughters father is in prison/junkie... loves her but always been a loser.) and now Im starting over.... I cant stand the thought of it. Im scared. Packing up and seriously leaving? To another state? I love him SO much... I wish we could fix this. We tried counceling at the end of my pregnancy and he never used the tools. He was excited to go and wanted to, read relationship books, he wants to better himself, but battles with his pride against himself and me. What do I do? Im VERY vulenerable and sensitive, so please be nice. Im on the verge of a nervous breakdown and Im terrified of what is happening. Is there hope he can change? He HAS proven he can, my family even agrees. I would do anything for our family to stay together and so would he but were stuck. I'm a fool, I know.
    You need to get your children out of there. You say that you grew up in an abusive situation. You are now in another one. The cycle of abuse is a real thing, and it's pretty common for someone who grew up being abused to get in relationships with an abuser themselves, and you need to break it. Your daughter is growing up thinking this is the way things are, and that is horribly unhealthy for her future relationships. 

I do think it's possible to still work on your relationship, which is not say it will be fixable. It takes two to make a relationship work, and you both have to be willing to work on it. You need to go back to counseling by yourself. 
  • TLDR: If you don’t think this is a healthy relationship, then leave. You have more than yourself to think about. If counseling with him didn’t work, then maybe speaking to a counselor on your own would help. But you need to do it from a safe place, which does not sound like it exists in the same home as this person.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • edited August 2018
    OP, I have nothing else of value to add to what everyone else already said, and I'm really sorry to hear about all the struggles you're going through. It's not fair of him to blame your past abuse history on you. That is really scary as he's not being supportive of you at all. I agree that the best option is to prioritize your kid's safety, no matter what that means right now. Your safety is of course important too, and i hope you can find the courage to make whatever decision you need to. 

On a lighter note, I'm really curious about the two links in your post to curtains and a coffee cup for sale. How did those end up there? 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland I was curious about the links too, but too scared to click them.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I didn't click either. A different way of spamming?
  • You spent that long typing out a novel about how unhealthy your relationship is to a bunch of strangers. If that doesn’t tell you to man up and leave then I don’t know what will 
  • If you feel you're in an unhealthy, abusive relationship that is also bad for your kids, then you should leave. Leaving can be hard, but maybe you could try moving back closer to your own family, if possible. There, you would have a better support network AND be putting real distance between you and him.

As others have said, try and get counseling for you and your children to help you all heal and move on towards a more healthy future.

And if you ever feel that leaving him might put you in more danger, then you should look into any local organizations for domestic violence or even talk to the police or something, so that you can safely get out of this relationship.
  • Please im hope im not to late! You need to get your precious babies out of there! For your own sanity! I know what your feeling dont stay love isnt enough nor is pain and heartache
  • You need to leave. Get your children out of this mess. You are setting the example of what your children will tolerate when they are older. Break the cycle NOW, if not for yourself, then for them.