Infertility

Help! BFF’s Baby Due Next Week

My best friend is very pregnant with her second. She has been amazingly supportive of my journey through infertility, and let’s me vent as much as I want. But, how do I set aside my own issues to be supportive of her and she adds a new addition to her family? I don’t want to regret making this 100% about me and not supporting her. If she was less supportive I wouldn’t feel bad checking out for a while, but she is amazing and I don’t want to regret how I handled this.

Re: Help! BFF’s Baby Due Next Week

• *TW*

For me, when my BFF had her 2nd baby recently, it was actually surprisingly easy to not think about myself. She was so sleep deprived and so overwhelmed initially, it was a radically different experience than when she brought home her first.

I actually focussed just on doing helpful things for her, not even the baby. Like, bringing her food she liked, and flowers she liked, etc. She had lots of people making a big fuss about the baby, and she really needed someone to just come over and tell her it was going to be ok, and entertain her other child while she pumped or ran to take a shower.

Like you, I'd initially been worried - she's so supportive of me, and I was so worried that I was going to be jealous or something when I met the baby. Instead, she was the one who seemed so vulnerable and like she really needed a friend. Sometimes, I'd just hold her new baby and tell her that he was going to not need to breastfeed every hour soon, that it was going to get easier. 

*TW*

Hoping you have a similar experience! I mean, not for your friend- hopefully it's smooth. But if her other child is under 3, she might have a rough few weeks.
  • Thank you! I hope I have a similar experience :)